• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Phone Suddenly on Emergency Calls Only Until I Restarted It

Search This thread
Oct 20, 2021
When I woke up today, I saw that my phone was on No Service and it wasn't just flipping between full bars and no service for a second like it too often does (including dropping calls a couple of times). I tried to fix it by turning Airplane Mode on and back off, but it did nothing. I went to try to manually choose a tower to connect to mostly to see if the T-mobile tower near me was working or not, and there instead of a tower name it said "Emergency Calls Only". It did let me pick from the list and a disappearing pop-up said it connected, but it never changed to signal and stayed on Emergency Calls Only. So, I restarted my phone. Once it was back on, I had signal, but strangely I also got a Gmail notification about an e-mail that had arrived an hour prior, so I guess even my WiFi wasn't working! Bluetooth did connect fine to my Apollo Neuro anti-anxiety device, but the app was messed up showing it at 100% strength on two different settings instead of the strength they were saved at (and were sent to the device at), which was weird. Everything was fixed after the phone restart.

Anyone else had this happen? The signal issues on this phone are really starting to annoy me! Flipping to no service for a second too often, not connecting manually to any other tower (my plan includes unlimited roaming for talk and data) [I'm not sure if auto roaming works since I haven't been where it would be needed], dropping a couple of calls, not sending texts at times, Chat texting dots turning off often (usually fixed by going into Airplane Mode and back), and now this! I love the phone, but they need to fix it whether it is Samsung or T-mobile!

Oct 20, 2021
I've had that issue when getting in areas where coverage is spotty, but never been able to see it go into Roaming..........just "emergency calls only".
It seems that is the issue, that the phone won't roam. That is a mega problem.

My phone was just sitting on the wireless charger all night, and I get full bars (occasionally minus one) here at home, so 🤷‍♀️.