• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Phone Won't Boot Into Recovery - Keeps Looping - Device is Rooted and was Running Latest LeeDroid Rom

Search This thread

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi all, forgot to charge my HTC 10 last night and it went dead. I always take care of my battery this is the first time I have had this happen. I even run battery limiter and max 80% charge the phone. Anyways so I charged it for 10 minutes or so and tried to boot and was just stuck in bootloop. If I keep the phone charging it just keeps restarting and not getting past the HTC logo and red letters. If I hold down both volume buttons I can get the white menu that shows reboot, reboot to bootloader, download mode, recovery mode ddr test, ddr test looping, power down.

My phone is rooted and I had TWRP on there, If I pick any option from above on the white screen back to bootloop. No clue what happened. I also noticed that one the white screen it says software status official not sure if that was like that before.

I tried connected to the PC, and while I hear the windows 10 ding, when I run adb and check for devices I get nothing.

I also tried holding down all 3 buttons to reset the battery, all that I get is rebooting multiple times every 15 seconds or so. When I plug my charge cord in (also used another one just in case), the orange charge light does not come on either.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
So I was able to connect the phone to the pc and I tried to flash the stock oreo .ruu and I am getting a less then 30% battery message. I can't believe the battery on the phone just fully died out of the blue like this. I haven't had any battery issues at all. Going to put in a new battery this weekend.

Reactions: LR7875

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
So I spent about 3hr putting a new battery into the phone, what a nightmare. Booted up same issue boot loop. When hooking up to the PC to try and flash the ruu I am getting the less then 30% message.

Anyone have any idea or other solution to try and get this phone working again?

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Hmmm seems like hardware failure.
TWRP hardly works, android does not boot, phone does not charge, as the worst case, it seems your EMMC storage chip is sadly, broken.
Have you tried clicking 'flash' in twrp? Will it crash? If clicking 'flash' works please send me the size of 'internal storage', and if it is 0, say goodbye to your phone.

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
TWRP hardly works, android does not boot, phone does not charge, as the worst case, it seems your EMMC storage chip is sadly, broken.
Have you tried clicking 'flash' in twrp? Will it crash? If clicking 'flash' works please send me the size of 'internal storage', and if it is 0, say goodbye to your phone.
My phone is S-off (via sunshine) and unlocked. I had TWRP 3.2 something ircc. But I cant' get into twrp. I am going to try to flash the stock image via the zip file on sd method and report back.

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Well that didn't work. Is it common for the EMMC storage chip to go bad on these phones? I have taken such good care of this thing too.
IDK about HTC, but as far as I know, tens, if not hundreds or thousands, of galaxy S3 phones, had their EMMC dead and no one say they were abused. So EMMC dying on a phone is extremely rare, but not impossible.
Have you tried EDL (emergency download mode)?
And can you send me what failed when flashing update.zip?

Reactions: cloves

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi LR, never heard of EDL for HTC phones, interesting. So via adb I was able to at least get something going. I can see the phone if ID if I type fastboot devices. I was roughly following this xda link

Then I took the .img files from 3.16.617.2_FULL-WIPE_firmware folder I downloaded and put them into my adb folder, and I was able to at least flash two things. Using the fastboot command in adb I used "fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img" and got OKAY also got OKAY from "fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img"

1628653401622.png

Still bootlooping. Only screen I have access to is that white screen mentioned earlier.
1628653818725.png

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to have to read up on that this week. With twrp ircc I have to get it on zip and then put on the sd card and then try to flash via cmd correct? I originally had twrp on my phone before it stopped working.

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi LR, so I did somewhere work this weekend combing the forums. One option I came across since I have fastboot commands working is to use fastboot to flash the RUU but I can't make it work.

Thread location: At the end of the thread its not very clear, seemed it worked for at least one person

I was able to run the following commands successfully "fastboot getvar all" and could see basic phone info.

Then ran "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-3_CPTB-20180307-01-pme.img"
that worked:
Sending 'recovery' (56384 KB) OKAY [ 1.489s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [ 0.850s]

Thread mentions this:
RUU_Decrypt_Tool RUU.zip
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash hosd hosd_signed.img from Decrypt Folder

I downloaded the tool and decrypted the RUU. I was able to flash "fastboot flash hosd hosd_signed.img"

after that in the fastboot white menu I clicked down to reboot into recovery and still bootloop.

Seems this is a common issue on these phones if the battery is run down to zero. XDA search function leaves a lot to be desired. Most of my finds have been via google and still none of the finds have final results :(

• Sad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was able to connect the phone to the pc and I tried to flash the stock oreo .ruu and I am getting a less then 30% battery message. I can't believe the battery on the phone just fully died out of the blue like this. I haven't had any battery issues at all. Going to put in a new battery this weekend.
    My phone is S-off (via sunshine) and unlocked. I had TWRP 3.2 something ircc. But I cant' get into twrp. I am going to try to flash the stock image via the zip file on sd method and report back.
    Well that didn't work. Is it common for the EMMC storage chip to go bad on these phones? I have taken such good care of this thing too.
    IDK about HTC, but as far as I know, tens, if not hundreds or thousands, of galaxy S3 phones, had their EMMC dead and no one say they were abused. So EMMC dying on a phone is extremely rare, but not impossible.
    Have you tried EDL (emergency download mode)?
    And can you send me what failed when flashing update.zip?