Question Phone won't boot to Android, stuck on ramdump

Search This thread

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
I got ramdump too few hours ago. 16/256 Black, MFD 04.2021.
Was listening to music through BT to my car audio. YouTube Vanced cast music to it, then I opened WhatsApp, started to type text. Pressed "Send" button and phone freezed, music stopped to play. I tried to tap on "Send" button few times but phone didn't react and image on display was static. Then dispaly switched off for about 10 seconds and that generic ramdump screen appeared to me.
But I don't know if it's because I have unlocked bootloader or because I have custom kernel or because of something esle - I was able to easily restart my phone to bootloader and then press power button on green "Start" and my phone boot normally back to Android without any problems.

• Wow
Reactions: Blumi511

Blumi511

Sep 19, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hi just a heads up. Everyone having this issue, please come and join and discuss the issue here please https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/188778#Comment_188778
I
I got ramdump too few hours ago. 16/256 Black, MFD 04.2021.
Was listening to music through BT to my car audio. YouTube Vanced cast music to it, then I opened WhatsApp, started to type text. Pressed "Send" button and phone freezed, music stopped to play. I tried to tap on "Send" button few times but phone didn't react and image on display was static. Then dispaly switched off for about 10 seconds and that generic ramdump screen appeared to me.
But I don't know if it's because I have unlocked bootloader or because I have custom kernel or because of something esle - I was able to easily restart my phone to bootloader and then press power button on green "Start" and my phone boot normally back to Android without any problems.
Lucky you

Which kernel are you using?

Reactions: dron39

xonics

Mar 15, 2008
Happened to me yesterday evening. Got a case open with Asus, just waiting on hearing back but as it's the weekend I suspect it'll be Monday before I hear anything.

Handset is 2021.04 for MFD and C11P2003 for BATT.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some bum OTA that's gone out. There's something similar happening with Pixel 3's at the moment too, not that they are the same hardware but it's interesting that it's happening in a similar time frame.

fatjoez

Feb 25, 2011
please advise the outcome when you fix the problem.

I'm considering to buy this phone but this makes me nervous

xonics

Mar 15, 2008

I'll certainly share any feedback I get.

Personally I couldn't recommend this phone enough. I'm not interested in these massive handsets that everybody seems to "want" now. Yes it can get a little warm if you're playing games but nothing major. It's quick, responsive, screen is good (60/90/120Hz), so is the camera and I get over a day out of the battery. It ticks all the boxes I'm after with a phone.

This is my first Asus handset, historically a Nokia guy but as they've joined the "let's make big phones" gang I had to look else where. I've had HTC (very long time ago) and Sony handsets too, the Xperia I had was the only phone I re-sold on via eBay after less than 6 months of ownership - it just wasn't that good.

Sebi673

another 'me too' - MFD 2021.04

phone is seen by the pc as

QUSB_BULK_SN:91xxxxxx
Aparently some pixel 3s were seen as that - briccked phones (hw?).
ref - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/reports-of-pixel-3s-bricking-with-edl-message-are-growing/

Is there any way to solve this without sending it to service?

Non-rooted, happendd when scrolling through the banking app, Tried all key combos.

One thing is different on the log when phone is pluggged vs unplugged from the pc.
See usbPluggged.png and unplugged.png

[some time later]
So from what i've gathhered the phone is stuck in edl mode - phone can be seen on qualcomm's qpst but besides some firmware flashihng there isn't much.
Could there be some lines to be sent via the tool that doesn't involve a fw flash?

I'll try tot discharge it by bootlooping it - might get rid of the edl.

[update] had it drain overnight - besides the LED flashing red when i plug it in, nothing happens - the screeen wont even ccome on...
Although it;s seeen as diag device, nothing happens.

TL;DR:
  • key combos - no go, phone always boots to EDL (Qualcomm qpst could write the fw but i didn't attempt for the waranty)
  • Letting the battery drain made it worse - phone 'turns on' (it's seen by the pc and heats up a tiny bit) but i no longer get the log - screen no longer turns on/phone no longer attempts whatever it was trying to do.
  • On battery drain red led flashes for a while while it gets the charge so something is still working :D
So a HW issue? And a big one at that - especially after ~5 months of normal usage (@Blumi511) - i was really thinking that a 2020 phone would be over those reliability issues.

[update]
Sent the phone for service, it was picked tuesday, 3 days later i'm being notified that it's fixed - motherboard replaced. Gonna go pick it up - I really hope that this one will last longer than 5 months.

Wish you all the same luck I had w/ the repair! :D

Attachments

• unplugged.JPG
    unplugged.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 190
  • usbPlugged.JPG
    usbPlugged.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot 2021-10-24 141307.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-24 141307.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot 2021-10-25 014254.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-25 014254.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Blumi511

Sep 19, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
another 'me too' - MFD 2021.04

phone is seen by the pc as

QUSB_BULK_SN:91xxxxxx
Aparently some pixel 3s were seen as that - briccked phones (hw?).
ref - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/reports-of-pixel-3s-bricking-with-edl-message-are-growing/

Is there any way to solve this without sending it to service?

Non-rooted, happendd when scrolling through the banking app, Tried all key combos.

One thing is different on the log when phone is pluggged vs unplugged from the pc.
See usbPluggged.png and unplugged.png

[some time later]
So from what i've gathhered the phone is stuck in edl mode - phone can be seen on qualcomm's qpst but besides some firmware flashihng there isn't much.
Could there be some lines to be sent via the tool that doesn't involve a fw flash?

I'll try tot discharge it by bootlooping it - might get rid of the edl.

[update] had it drain overnight - besides the LED flashing red when i plug it in, nothing happens - the screeen wont even ccome on...
Although it;s seeen as diag device, nothing happens.

What a piece of trash.... And i praised it to the moon and back....

Hope you'll fix it. I really hope it won't happen to me.

Keep us posted after you sent it in. And remember taking pictures of the phone before sending it in

Reactions: Sebi673

topo01

Aug 10, 2014
Munich
Xiaomi Mi 5
Samsung Galaxy S22
Dear ZF8 community,
I too consider buying this phone and read those threads for a few months now.
My question:
Are there phones out with exchanged motherboards which died too? Or is this an batch issue and newer MoBos are safe? Any experience so far?
I could live with once sending in the device if i can be sure it's fine afterwards.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
Dear ZF8 community,
I too consider buying this phone and read those threads for a few months now.
My question:
Are there phones out with exchanged motherboards which died too? Or is this an batch issue and newer MoBos are safe? Any experience so far?
I could live with once sending in the device if i can be sure it's fine afterwards.

Nothing points to a bad batch. It's more of a "ASUS don't quite know how to put a high quality device together" issue. Numerous similar cases with other models as well. ASUS devices have great specs but it comes with a trade-off.

Reactions: topo01

NAAE2

Jul 15, 2022
Hi there, thread OP here. I've gotten the EDL ramdump screen, AGAIN, even after getting the motherboard replaced! In fact, now it isn't booting up at all. Is anyone else experiencing this? I sent an email to Asus, but I'd like to see if there's a way to fix this myself.

I think that I'm going to go to another manufacturer if this POS bricks itself again. Any thoughts on Sony phones?

xCrimsom

Jan 21, 2023
Red Magic 6S Pro
Im having the same issue here with my asus rog phone 5, but i can go into fastboot mode then recovery, if i flash stock rom on fastboot mode will it clear the error? Or if i wipe everything from bootloader mode will it clear the error aswell? Or can i just press reboot then it’ll boot to android when in fastboot mode? Can anyone help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi just a heads up. Everyone having this issue, please come and join and discuss the issue here please https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/188778#Comment_188778

I'll certainly share any feedback I get.

Personally I couldn't recommend this phone enough. I'm not interested in these massive handsets that everybody seems to "want" now. Yes it can get a little warm if you're playing games but nothing major. It's quick, responsive, screen is good (60/90/120Hz), so is the camera and I get over a day out of the battery. It ticks all the boxes I'm after with a phone.

This is my first Asus handset, historically a Nokia guy but as they've joined the "let's make big phones" gang I had to look else where. I've had HTC (very long time ago) and Sony handsets too, the Xperia I had was the only phone I re-sold on via eBay after less than 6 months of ownership - it just wasn't that good.
    Hi there,

My ZenFone 8 suddenly turned off randomly today, while playing music on YouTube.

I held the power button for 15 or so seconds, and now the phone is stuck on what I assume to be a ramdump. It lists various boot stages, and has green text saying 'Waiting for flashing full ramdump'.

Is there any way to fix this? I can't call Asus support, as it's a public holiday today. The phone is running on the stock firmware.
    Managed to use my laptop webcam. Here is the glitch that I described:

View attachment 5381651
    Also, here is a photo of the ramdump screen I see.

View attachment 5381655

hold all three buttons pressed until the screen powers off(power + volume up + volume down).
    when that happened to me while developing my kernel, the screen first shuts off, keep the buttons pressed, you´ll see bootloader for a split second, then it´ll turn off again, keep buttons pressed, then it´ll stay at bootloader screen. now let first go of power button, and then the volume buttons.

that should get you out of ramdump mode to fastboot/bootloader.
    then you should be able to boot back up, by choosing reboot via volume buttons and confirm the choice via power button.
    I had the ramdump issue on my 1st ZF8 (256GB version), it was refunded by asus.
    2nd has it also but can always reboot to fastboot by pressing volume down and power for few minutes.
    Both have date stamp 2021.04
    On the zentalk forum one had the theory that the first batches suffered it and the newer one would be better off...

Well then I have to hope I won't get the issue...