• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Phones arrives today! Question about set up

Search This thread

jc83

Apr 27, 2009
Ok folks, after a long wait my gray flip 3 and my wife's pink flip 3 will finally be in today! This is our first new phones since our current sammy S10s and I wanted to ask what may be silly questions but I need to be sure anyways. 😆 Seems like forever since we treated ourselves to a new phone so you can imagine our excitement 😊

1. Is it better to do a smart transfer (I believe thats what it is called?) taking majority of things from our S10 to z flip 3 or should I just do a clean start and fresh set up? I would re-download all apps and all that, maybe only bringing over contacts from old device but nothing else.

2. Should I immediately charge phones to 100% out of the box?

3. Our S10 has a Bixby button, I don't believe the z flip 3 utilizes this? I bought the BxActions app to assign different tasks to that button but I guess I no longer need that app since there is no Bixby button for the z lip 3?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

D4rk4

Dec 25, 2008
1. You can choose what you want to copy over. Easily limit it to just contacts and msgs etc.

2. I did and always do this before first use.

3. Long pressing the flip 3's power/fingerprint button is setup as the Bixby button as default. You can change this to regular boot menu though.

Reactions: jc83

BillyxAllen

Mar 30, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Ok folks, after a long wait my gray flip 3 and my wife's pink flip 3 will finally be in today! This is our first new phones since our current sammy S10s and I wanted to ask what may be silly questions but I need to be sure anyways. 😆 Seems like forever since we treated ourselves to a new phone so you can imagine our excitement 😊

1. Is it better to do a smart transfer (I believe thats what it is called?) taking majority of things from our S10 to z flip 3 or should I just do a clean start and fresh set up? I would re-download all apps and all that, maybe only bringing over contacts from old device but nothing else.

3. Our S10 has a Bixby button, I don't believe the z flip 3 utilizes this? I bought the BxActions app to assign different tasks to that button but I guess I no longer need that app since there is no Bixby button for the z lip 3?

Using smart switch or a fresh start us person preference. I used it and it worked just fine.

I work directly with manufacturers in the phone industry. The batteries have already been charged to 100% before they were packed, so there is zero benefit to you charging it to 100%. It's been this way for years tbh.

Last edited:
1. The advantage to using Smart Switch / Google Backup is that after many years of it simply installing garbage semi-broken, they have finally gotten it to a point where it will restore apps and data rather effectively. Settings you may have long since forgotten will be available in some apps. Others, such as games, will still require you to log in and retrieve your data. Either way, it doesn't break things like the old days. If there is stuff you might want, it is easier to remove it than track it down if you are planning to wipe the other phone.

2. I don't work with manufacturers, but also don't feel they make good choices when it comes to batteries. Your phone will never arrive at 100% and the fact that they fully charge them is proof of why I don't feel they know about battery degradation. You should always store a battery at around 60% of the capacity. I also understand that Samsung and others only need to verify the battery will fully charge and don't care much about the life beyond the warranty period.

That said, I also feel you should run the initial charge down to where you normally plan to charge before charging it up. I'm not sure why the old practice of charging something when it first arrives is still circulating, but it doesn't provide any benefit. Making sure to discharge the battery, on the other hand, will speed up calibration.

3. BxActions is slowly being killed off because half of Samsung's features are just their version of someone else's app or mod. As of the Note 20 Ultra, Samsung began introducing their own settings panel for the "Bixby button" which has since replaced the power button as a combination tap, double tap, hold button. It allows you to use some generic defaults for double tap or can launch any app that way and allows setting Biby or the power menu to hold. On top of that, it also acts as the power button with a tap and the fingerprint reader with a touch. By the next generation, it will probably have its own screen, too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. You can choose what you want to copy over. Easily limit it to just contacts and msgs etc.

2. I did and always do this before first use.

3. Long pressing the flip 3's power/fingerprint button is setup as the Bixby button as default. You can change this to regular boot menu though.

Using smart switch or a fresh start us person preference. I used it and it worked just fine.

I work directly with manufacturers in the phone industry. The batteries have already been charged to 100% before they were packed, so there is zero benefit to you charging it to 100%. It's been this way for years tbh.
    1. The advantage to using Smart Switch / Google Backup is that after many years of it simply installing garbage semi-broken, they have finally gotten it to a point where it will restore apps and data rather effectively. Settings you may have long since forgotten will be available in some apps. Others, such as games, will still require you to log in and retrieve your data. Either way, it doesn't break things like the old days. If there is stuff you might want, it is easier to remove it than track it down if you are planning to wipe the other phone.

2. I don't work with manufacturers, but also don't feel they make good choices when it comes to batteries. Your phone will never arrive at 100% and the fact that they fully charge them is proof of why I don't feel they know about battery degradation. You should always store a battery at around 60% of the capacity. I also understand that Samsung and others only need to verify the battery will fully charge and don't care much about the life beyond the warranty period.

That said, I also feel you should run the initial charge down to where you normally plan to charge before charging it up. I'm not sure why the old practice of charging something when it first arrives is still circulating, but it doesn't provide any benefit. Making sure to discharge the battery, on the other hand, will speed up calibration.

3. BxActions is slowly being killed off because half of Samsung's features are just their version of someone else's app or mod. As of the Note 20 Ultra, Samsung began introducing their own settings panel for the "Bixby button" which has since replaced the power button as a combination tap, double tap, hold button. It allows you to use some generic defaults for double tap or can launch any app that way and allows setting Biby or the power menu to hold. On top of that, it also acts as the power button with a tap and the fingerprint reader with a touch. By the next generation, it will probably have its own screen, too.