Photo quality

andybg40

Jun 10, 2011
After the recent update, the HD option in the camera (or HQ as it is now!) is amazing! Seriously, in lighting scenarios that aren't ideal, it real makes the world of difference. It was useful feature before, but it's certainly been improved, well so it seems.

ironshadow2

May 29, 2014
After the recent update, the HD option in the camera (or HQ as it is now!) is amazing! Seriously, in lighting scenarios that aren't ideal, it real makes the world of difference. It was useful feature before, but it's certainly been improved, well so it seems.
How is it improved? can u compare before and after the update?

andybg40

Jun 10, 2011
Sharpening and noise are very minimal, nothing like Samsung, which when zoomed looks terrible. Objects in the image have a beautifully smooth outline, processing is very subtle in this regard. I am guessing that it is a multiple shot type image, as it's a touch slower than a standard picture, but not as slow as HDR. I may be wrong, but i think the HQ mode uses a similar process to HDR in terms of multiple images, but does not use multiple exposures to correct dynamic range issues. Noise is very much in check and colour reproduction is spot on and I say that having used a red mug for comparison, as most phones botch this colour.

I haven't taken extreme low light pics yet, but will do so tonight to see if that has improved too.

drdebian

Jul 29, 2009
So I opened the hidden service menu *#808# and went through al the test and when I came at the "optical image stabilizer" it says failed...anyone else has this? Could it be software disabled or is my camera faulty?

here is a picture for comparison
Fails for me as well, even though it works when taking pictures and videos fine.

payaxy

May 16, 2010
Prague
Most of the photos look quite fine, but I'm missing one very typical scenario. How about some pictures of moving, living things? Kids or pets? This is a must have in a good phone camera for me. As many of you probably know, taking snaps of these subjects is quite challenging, since they constantly move and you basically have to have a camera that will take a good picture the first time, every time. That's the most important aspect of a phone camera for me. Any experiences/photos OP3 owners can share?

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
It strikes me that indeed no one photographs people, their faces.

Unfortunately in respect to faces, there seems to be heavy post-processing ("beautifying"), because always the skin of people I photograph is much too smooth and "washed out", while with other object there is very good detail.

I don't want that! How can this be altered?

2x4

Oct 20, 2012
Austin, TX
on full auto mode, the nexus 6P takes far better photos in low light, but I messed around with manual mode (just extended exposure time) and got better photos than nexus 6P in solid darkness!

hvq22

Jun 2, 2016
Most of the photos look quite fine, but I'm missing one very typical scenario. How about some pictures of moving, living things? Kids or pets? This is a must have in a good phone camera for me. As many of you probably know, taking snaps of these subjects is quite challenging, since they constantly move and you basically have to have a camera that will take a good picture the first time, every time. That's the most important aspect of a phone camera for me. Any experiences/photos OP3 owners can share?
Well, it depends on your photography skills. With a high shutter speed you can freeze motion. But even in auto mode you can take nice pictures of moving objects.

Here is a picture I took with Lightroom mobile: http://i.imgbox.com/vQzPPoqz.jpeg

The car was approximately driving with 50 km/h.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
on full auto mode, the nexus 6P takes far better photos in low light, but I messed around with manual mode (just extended exposure time) and got better photos than nexus 6P in solid darkness!
Pics or it didn't happen!

if I try to shoot in dark environment with manually extended exposure time, of course I get a bright photo where everything is visible; but it is unbearably grainy.

2x4

Oct 20, 2012
Austin, TX
Pics or it didn't happen!

if I try to shoot in dark environment with manually extended exposure time, of course I get a bright photo where everything is visible; but it is unbearably grainy.
my photo did come out a bit grainy, but the Nexus 6P will be just as grainy in low light as well - i mean these are both still phone cameras.