Photo quality

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the OnePlus 5T come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: LubbockKravMaga

Toberak

Nov 22, 2012
Bad low-light performance

Compared to my LG G6, the 5t suffers of sharpness and ois in in low-light Situations. In extrem low-light conditions, the 5t uses pixel binnig, which results in more realistic interpretation of the subject as on the G6.

tmzbeme

May 20, 2010
Most of the reviews and camera samples that look great are scaled down so you can't see the oil painting effect in the full size version, which I'm pretty sure is caused by over aggressive jpeg compression and noise removal by the op software.
I'd be surprised if it was a hardware issue but it's possible.
Until someone takes some good daylight shots with a third party app like open camera or camera fv-5 and post them at full resolution we won't know.
If it's a hardware issue I'd rather pay a couple of hundred extra and get a phone with a decent camera and waterproofing.

simeoni

Mar 27, 2014
Sad to hear that this oil painting/watercolor effect is even in OP5T. I have heard and actually seen it is in OP5, OP3T and OP2.

On my OP2 there is no difference between camera apps. All produce same effect in certain situations, for example high contrast and lots of details in sunset horizon. Or grass and tree leaves.

I start to think it is hardware issue, or at least something in camera service code which might be common in OP devices.

See my post here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-2/help/watercolor-effect-t3703950

TurboBot247

Dec 3, 2015
Since I've been reading about the new camera, isnt there a beautification filter on by default on the camera? Or is this in fact post processing?
It's partly the post-processing, but it is also the beautify filter on by default on the rear camera and the front camera.

Check this out: it's a detailed comparison between the OnePlus 5T and the Galaxy Note 8: https://youtu.be/Lc8DuozgLm4
Even though the Note 8 obviously pulls ahead in most scenarios here, this video (among others on YT) tells me that the 5T's photo and video quality is quite solid even with OnePlus's own software. It's overall inferior to the Galaxy Note 8, but it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be over on Reddit. The lack of OIS, in all honesty, was the biggest hindrance for the 5T in the above comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdau

Baldilocks

May 31, 2010
Dover, DE
It's partly the post-processing, but it is also the beautify filter on by default on the rear camera and the front camera.

Check this out: it's a detailed comparison between the OnePlus 5T and the Galaxy Note 8: https://youtu.be/Lc8DuozgLm4
Even though the Note 8 obviously pulls ahead in most scenarios here, this video (among others on YT) tells me that the 5T's photo and video quality is quite solid even with OnePlus's own software. It's overall inferior to the Galaxy Note 8, but it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be over on Reddit. The lack of OIS, in all honesty, was the biggest hindrance for the 5T in the above comparison.
I did mess around with the beauty filter and now it is actually taking some pretty decent shots. Wasn't aware that it was even a thing.