• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Photo quality

Search This thread

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
I'm afraid they did. Images with an object closer to the camera look better. Bit I was quite shocked myself when I saw this outcome....
Not shure if this is normal for a 5T or not.

This close up looks quite ok if you ask me.

Close up still looks terrible. Like something is broken.

TurboBot247

Dec 3, 2015
Even I feel their less sharpness on the zoomed pictures. Is there anyway this problem could be fixed? Or Can i return and get the LG G6?
The G6's camera is worse than the 5T's. LG's processing is just as bad, too. At first glance, LG's shots look sharper, but while they do retain more detail than OnePlus's camera app's shots, much of that "detail" has been processed out with the loss of detail simply being compensated for by oversharpening the image. Colors in LG's app are far more unnatural than OnePlus's, and due to the old, Sony IMX258 sensor used on the G6 (compared to the IMX398 on the 5T), dynamic range on the LG camera suffers, as does low-light photography in general. If you want a better camera than what the 5T offers, you're either going to have to buy last year's Pixel or spend 2017 flagship money for your flagship phone. You could buy a Pixel 2 for $100 more and get the best camera in a 2017 flagship. Or, buy an S8 (but only do that if you're willing to rid the phone of "Samsung Experience").

Reactions: anjugeorge

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
The G6's camera is worse than the 5T's. LG's processing is just as bad, too. At first glance, LG's shots look sharper, but while they do retain more detail than OnePlus's camera app's shots, much of that "detail" has been processed out with the loss of detail simply being compensated for by oversharpening the image. Colors in LG's app are far more unnatural than OnePlus's, and due to the old, Sony IMX258 sensor used on the G6 (compared to the IMX398 on the 5T), dynamic range on the LG camera suffers, as does low-light photography in general. If you want a better camera than what the 5T offers, you're either going to have to buy last year's Pixel or spend 2017 flagship money for your flagship phone. You could buy a Pixel 2 for $100 more and get the best camera in a 2017 flagship. Or, buy an S8 (but only do that if you're willing to rid the phone of "Samsung Experience").

Pixel 2 images are horrid, overly processed, fake looking.
Samsung colour accuracy is still the worst flagship.

3T and mate pro are top of the pile for true to life but have some other issues...

There is no great option right now..
I'm waiting I guess.

SilverSurger

Nov 5, 2010
My images look similiar - very much like an oil painting, especially when zooming a little on the taken picture. I'll try with another camera now.

Edit:
It's quite a lot better when using GCam with HDR+ enabled. Still get that oil painting effect though.

Last edited:

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
My images look similiar - very much like an oil painting, especially when zooming a little on the taken picture. I'll try with another camera now.

Edit:
It's quite a lot better when using GCam with HDR+ enabled. Still get that oil painting effect though.

I would immediately return a device doing that. It has to be defective. That's not some slight thing.

SilverSurger

Nov 5, 2010
I don't think it's defective, the pictures are fine. It's probably a littler overagressive when it comes to the postprocessing, so using the GCam solves the issue for me.

SilverSurger

Nov 5, 2010
Can you post what you think a good image is using gcam?
Sure - attached is a comparision. The file "gcam_mod" was taken with the gcam.

Edit: Argh, XDA compresses images apparantly. Give me a sec.

Edit2:
With gcam:
http://i.pi.gy/R8P9E.jpg

Without:
http://i.pi.gy/E149Y.jpg

When viewing at full resolution you can still see the painting effect very clearly. Today I'm more unsure about the quality difference between the two cams, two days ago I thought it was more visible - but that was a sunny day too, today is very cloudy. Still think the gcam is better though.

For me personally the Photo quality is "good enough".

Last edited:

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
Sure - attached is a comparision. The file "gcam_mod" was taken with the gcam.

Edit: Argh, XDA compresses images apparantly. Give me a sec.

Edit2:
With gcam:
http://i.pi.gy/R8P9E.jpg

Without:
http://i.pi.gy/E149Y.jpg

When viewing at full resolution you can still see the painting effect very clearly. Today I'm more unsure about the quality difference between the two cams, two days ago I thought it was more visible - but that was a sunny day too, today is very cloudy. Still think the gcam is better though.

For me personally the Photo quality is "good enough".

Thanks for the effort but that subject matter makes it really hard to tell anything.
Just a simple indoor shot with some colour and hard lines would be much better.

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
Here is 100%. Will get compressed but I think they will look really similar either way.
Neither look great but again subject matter..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171220-230910.jpg
    Screenshot_20171220-230910.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 740
  • Screenshot_20171220-230849.jpg
    Screenshot_20171220-230849.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 732

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Such a bad camera...

d1Sm8pH.jpg

mzklXvA.jpg

MgJPW2M.jpg

mKkvlkn.jpg

GQabGOJ.jpg

I don't know what people could expect from a mobile phone camera but to me this looks great
    People, you are just f* lazy asses. If you want good photos, use pro mode and then post process photos from raw in lightroom. If it's too much work for you then it's yours problem of being lazy ass that don't want to spend 5 minutes to learn how to make 2 times better photos just by editing them in proper software in proper format.
    It's like blaming car is not fast enough when you don't fully take off feet from clutch so it's still pressed a little all the time, the same here - use jpg and crap auto-processing if you want **** photos
    Do you need a hug?
    This picture speaks for itself. Really hope Oneplus will make an update that fixes the oil paint effect!

And your post is perfect example of someone completely brainless, whining at photo quality when fully digital zoomed... I just adore you and people just like you
    The camera is just awful, and as the ported Google camera isn't working properly I most likely will return my 5T as I need a decent camera for my baby girl.
    Just quick samples. I know that still I'm not using 100% of what this camera is capable of, but results are satisfying me so far