Photo quality

Search This thread

TEAM17

Jan 4, 2008
I'm on the stable version, MIUI 9.6. I noticed that the photo taken in the dark with the flash on are what we can call a "disaster".

morfei1

Mar 3, 2014
I bought my mi 8 with Global 9.5.13.0 , and the pics were ugly, imo. I updated to 9.6.3.0 nothing changed. I saw pics made with Chaina ROM and they were very good, imo. Then I decieded to go with the xiaomi.eu 8.8.16, now I'm with 8.8.24 and my pics look good. I'll never go with global again.

Pics made with Xiaomi mi 8 with Chaina ROM

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ma7DW7vVfPRWia7ev07gN0AEvbnV0qke

Pics made with my mi 8 xiaomi.eu 8.8.16

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Zr-Ph60klFYeDb7YcdT5XNlABV1UXtVM

Pics made with the MiUI 9 global stable are so bad, I don't want to show you :D

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

magnum2323

Jul 26, 2018
I bought my mi 8 with Global 9.5.13.0 , and the pics were ugly, imo. I updated to 9.6.3.0 nothing changed. I saw pics made with Chaina ROM and they were very good, imo. Then I decieded to go with the xiaomi.eu 8.8.16, now I'm with 8.8.24 and my pics look good. I'll never go with global again.

Pics made with Xiaomi mi 8 with Chaina ROM

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ma7DW7vVfPRWia7ev07gN0AEvbnV0qke

Pics made with my mi 8 xiaomi.eu 8.8.16

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Zr-Ph60klFYeDb7YcdT5XNlABV1UXtVM

Pics made with the MiUI 9 global stable are so bad, I don't want to show you :D

I made the opposite Experience. I was on china beta MIUI10 and the pics were blurry and noisy on low light.
I decided to go to global stable MIUI9.6 and now its not perfect but mostly OK.
I dont know how xiaomi could earn the good score of dxo Mark. I bought this device because of the good Camera.

morfei1

Mar 3, 2014
Yeah, I also bought this phone because of the camera and the good results in dxo review. I received it with global and I was very disappointed with the real results then I started to investigate the problem. There was a problem with the camera also in the Chaina ROM at first, but soon after that they fixed it, so it depends which version your mi 8 came with.

Grana_10

Jul 1, 2015
Google Pixel 6
After investigating a bit, I've seen that, when using the miui camera's auto, the phone does not take photos at slower speeds than 1 / 13s, and instead of shooting at 1 / 10s or more exposure, opts to pull ISO, reaching up to 102400, which makes a lot of grain.
All this generates horrible photos at night when the phone could take much better pictures.
In theory, the reason why it does not exceed 1 / 13s is because otherwise the photos would be blurry, but the optical stabilizer that has it, works well enough to be able to shoot photos up to 1s of exposure without the photo being trepidated or blurry (if you have a good pulse). This allows to lower the ISO to 800,1600 or 3200, which are much more normal figures.
This happens in all Miui ROMs and in all Xiaomi's phones, but, for example, the Huawei Mate 10 can shoot in auto at 1/7s, while any Xiaomi phone can.

Reactions: youngchaos

magnum2323

Jul 26, 2018
After investigating a bit, I've seen that, when using the miui camera's auto, the phone does not take photos at slower speeds than 1 / 13s, and instead of shooting at 1 / 10s or more exposure, opts to pull ISO, reaching up to 102400, which makes a lot of grain.
All this generates horrible photos at night when the phone could take much better pictures.
In theory, the reason why it does not exceed 1 / 13s is because otherwise the photos would be blurry, but the optical stabilizer that has it, works well enough to be able to shoot photos up to 1s of exposure without the photo being trepidated or blurry (if you have a good pulse). This allows to lower the ISO to 800,1600 or 3200, which are much more normal figures.
This happens in all Miui ROMs and in all Xiaomi's phones, but, for example, the Huawei Mate 10 can shoot in auto at 1/7s, while any Xiaomi phone can.

I noticed the same. So i was playing around with the manual mode .. Setting the shutter speed to 1/2 sec or 1 s and then i noticed that my fotos coming unsharp . To me it seems that the OIS is not working. But when enabled AI shooting the same picture it says Night Mode, then the picture has a lot of details and is very sharp but very bright and noisy, too.
So at the End i gave up, hoping for a gcam Mod that works. My LG G6 shoots much better pictures in Low light. With G6 i was able to shoot with 1sec without getting unsharp.
Only the selfie Cam on MI8 is better than on G6.

Grana_10

Jul 1, 2015
Google Pixel 6
I noticed the same. So i was playing around with the manual mode .. Setting the shutter speed to 1/2 sec or 1 s and then i noticed that my fotos coming unsharp . To me it seems that the OIS is not working. But when enabled AI shooting the same picture it says Night Mode, then the picture has a lot of details and is very sharp but very bright and noisy, too.
So at the End i gave up, hoping for a gcam Mod that works. My LG G6 shoots much better pictures in Low light. With G6 i was able to shoot with 1sec without getting unsharp.
Only the selfie Cam on MI8 is better than on G6.

You have not understand my text. I'm saying that, because the OIS works so well, the shutter speed(in auto) could be incremented to 1/2s, because the limit now is 1/13s. I prefer taken the pictures in manual with 1/2s exposition rather than 1/13s in auto and a lot of ISO. The AI mode sucks.

onesky

Sep 13, 2008
i think the OIS is not so reliable as in the past, that's why they need to crop so much the full hd videos too... (to use the EIS)

benjaconb

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah, I also bought this phone because of the camera and the good results in dxo review. I received it with global and I was very disappointed with the real results then I started to investigate the problem. There was a problem with the camera also in the Chaina ROM at first, but soon after that they fixed it, so it depends which version your mi 8 came with.

So, if I have the global version should they fix the problem of the camera later? I have MIUI 9.6.4 Stable

daniyal62

Nov 15, 2013
i am on china beta rom version miui_MI8_8.8.24
images quality are very good
when i take picture with HDR on in day light photos are really sharp and without noise
HDR make photos even sharper
but in low light must turn off HDR to take sharper image
as far as i know image quality could be different from rom to rom
mi8 take better pictures than oneplus 6
i never had oneplus 6 but i saw camera samples

Malle355

Sep 1, 2015
Dobel
OnePlus 8 Pro
Im not so satisfied with photo quality. My old HTC 10 did better pictures like the Mi8. I hope they can fix the Camera, cos the sensor should make better shots.

On which Rom you are? If ure using the original global rom then the camera is pretty bad. Just use the xiaomi.eu rom and the Camera will be much better. Thats cause the xiaomi.eu rom is using the camera files from the china rom. DxOMark was also using the china rom for the tests and also with a much better result then on the original global rom. Just try it and you will see the difference. I am pretty statisfied with the quality of the photos. Before I've got an HTC U11 this also took pretty great pics but not as great as the Mi 8.

Here's the link for the xiaomi.eu Rom.

krepsz

Jan 21, 2012
Unternberg
Google Pixel 7 Pro
On which Rom you are? If ure using the original global rom then the camera is pretty bad. Just use the xiaomi.eu rom and the Camera will be much better. Thats cause the xiaomi.eu rom is using the camera files from the china rom. DxOMark was also using the china rom for the tests and also with a much better result then on the original global rom. Just try it and you will see the difference. I am pretty statisfied with the quality of the photos. Before I've got an HTC U11 this also took pretty great pics but not as great as the Mi 8.

Ok, thanks. Yesterday i already flashed the Eu rom. Looks pretty good! Works great and pics looks better.

Reactions: Malle355

youngchaos

Jul 15, 2013
Rome

Do you mind if i copy your msg into bug-report on Miui? If you want you can partecipate directly at this link: http://en.miui.com/thread-3871515-1-1.html

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

I've done a comparison between the Xiaomi MI8 & Huawei P20 Pro

Settings all AUTO and just Point and Shoot, both AI features were enabled.
For my opinion the Xiaomi MI8 takes more color-realistic images even in the sky on sunset Xiaomis color is more accurate than Huawei's unrealistic "sunset overdrive"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zmvYbnuxSZvsnhVAA

Mi8 might have better colors like you said, but, my God, look details. P20 pro is outstanding. Mi8 could be a lot better.

Last edited:

Flash-User

Jul 29, 2012
Do you mind if i copy your msg into bug-report on Miui? If you want you can partecipate directly at this link: http://en.miui.com/thread-3871515-1-1.html

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Mi8 might have better colors like you said, but, my God, look details. P20 pro is outstanding. Mi8 could be a lot better.

Someone called it detail, someother called it simple .... mmmmhhhhh "oversharpening"

Reactions: _katho_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've done a comparison between the Xiaomi MI8 & Huawei P20 Pro

Settings all AUTO and just Point and Shoot, both AI features were enabled.
    For my opinion the Xiaomi MI8 takes more color-realistic images even in the sky on sunset Xiaomis color is more accurate than Huawei's unrealistic "sunset overdrive"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zmvYbnuxSZvsnhVAA
    Here are some sample shots of mine:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/4XkrzHk

TMJwt71.jpg
    it's quite good

especially for the price, the mi 8 camera is quite good, comparable to iphone 8 at least. see attached photo I took, no filter
    Mi 8 2x zoom by Kin Ho, on Flickr

Top is unprocessed.

It is very sharp when taking landscapes including the zoom lens. The main problem I have is that it is too slow, unresponsive, there's at least a second wait before you can take the next picture. Photo options including the manual options are also lacking compared with a Samsung phone.
    Im not so satisfied with photo quality. My old HTC 10 did better pictures like the Mi8. I hope they can fix the Camera, cos the sensor should make better shots.