Photo quality

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy S10 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: M3H3D1

claudionmc

Mar 6, 2019
Coming from an iphone 8 plus...

The quality is good but disappointing. I cannot believe DXOMARK gave it 109 rating and 114 in photo-shooting...

I understand that HDR+ process is really good, and that the bokeh effect is "realistic"... but the telephoto lens is just awful. On iphone 8 plus the telephoto lens gave me a beautiful sense of profundity and natural colors, here the bokeh is non existent and I find the image "cold".

Also, there is a lack of fine detail and sharpness noticeable in almost all pics.

ajwallia

Apr 24, 2014
The tele lens is not that advanced or given a thought about, they were mostly focused on the regular and the UW lens...the pics from those 2 lenses are a tid bit over exposed but I rather have them over exposed than under and get noise in post.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Totally agree. Coming from pixel 3. Its way behind. Front Camera is just ****. How can Samsung releases a premium phone with such a low quality camera? Regretting selling my pixel 3.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
That's interesting. I would have to compare

G

GuestK00143

Coming from a Pixel 3 I'm very happy with the S10+. The color accuracy is much better in my experience so far and I find the three lenses much more useful than a single lens. The Pixel did take some nice photos but I'm liking this camera more. I'm really not agreeing with all the negative reviews I see here.

sasch76

Apr 27, 2011
Coming from pixel 3 XL an iPhone X's max the front camera is the worse camera on any phone super soft and colours are very flat. I can't wait for the pixel camera mod for the s10 plus and least the front camera can be usable

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
Coming from the m20p I'm devided. For bokeh and portrait i miss the p20p...the monochrome really did some wonders.
HDR is not bad at all, but HONESTLY overall I don't get the DXO result, and I was expecting something much better. Curious to see what the p30p is going to to go for. Huawei doesn't really sleep these years ( I've read the specs of the new p30p, but everyday usage is what its all about ..)

nickporwal

May 6, 2010
Coming from a Pixel 3 I'm very happy with the S10+. The color accuracy is much better in my experience so far and I find the three lenses much more useful than a single lens. The Pixel did take some nice photos but I'm liking this camera more. I'm really not agreeing with all the negative reviews I see here.
Pixel 3 was so good in low light. There is no match right now. Specially that night sight mode. Maybe we are dissappointed by s10 because all the reviewers were saying so many good things and DXO mark gave very good score. The hype was good. Now i think reviewers were paid by Samsung.
I really expect Samsung to release software update for the camera. However video recording is on par with pixel. Screen is just superb.

G

GuestK00143

Pixel 3 was so good in low light. There is no match right now. Specially that night sight mode. Maybe we are dissappointed by s10 because all the reviewers were saying so many good things and DXO mark gave very good score. The hype was good. Now i think reviewers were paid by Samsung.
I really expect Samsung to release software update for the camera. However video recording is on par with pixel. Screen is just superb.

Honestly I don't miss my 3XL or the camera at all but that's my preference. As for reviews the ones I saw pretty much said it was a draw between the two for the rear cameras with the Samsung being more versatile. I do agree with that however I like the color accuracy more with the S10. The Pixel went to the cool side too much for me and made the whites look blueish and the blacks having that crushed look from too much contrast. That I wasn't happy with and that was with three new units. Yes the night sight is miles ahead on the Pixel but I take far better photos of the moon and stars with the Samsung. The front camera is good enough for my use, I rarely use it. I don't take much video but the ones I did look great. Again this is my experience and preference out of the 125 or so photos I've taken so far.

Devhux

Mar 1, 2008
Front camera is actually surprisingly bad (even compared to the Note 9). Any bright background colors cause blooming issues.

Good examples shown here (when he's getting out of the car at the beginning, and inside the café at 2:00).

I noticed it on mine when taking a selfie with a light behind me. Picture was definitely worse than the Note 9

TCPDump

May 26, 2014
Central US
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy S10 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
So far I love the cameras, all of them. The clarity, especially on the back cameras, are super amazing.

fjesuino

Jun 6, 2012
Araraquara, SP, BR
I would like to know more about pictures of people/animals on the move. I remember that the S7 did not leave my daughter's hands static while capturing her, causing those blurred hands. Already on the iPhone 8 or XR I can easily do. How is the performance of Samsung in this question today? Child and dog are never stopped for photos :)