Photo quality

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Huawei P40 Pro come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

snipeerz

May 11, 2012
i have mate 30 pro and p40 pro
I notice that mate 30 pro has better quality than p40 pro specially at night I will upload some pics

pesho00

Mar 8, 2008
I moved from p30 Pro to P40 pro - The main camera on par with better shots in the dark wors night mode?
Zoom is a lot better, but far from other cameras ;)
Wide 18mm vs 16mm??? Bad move difference with main camera is not so big now and definitely far from Samsung's 13mm.
AI changed a lot especially in wide camera - pictures are not so punchy like P30's
Video is a lot better all over it but the zoom is not very good ;)
Overall good improvement but not overwhelming.

Joshyfry93

Apr 7, 2020
Really struggling since the update I received yesterday ? Noisy night shots and a horrible pink/purple hue whenever the subject in the photo is black (my sofa for example). Would attach an example image but it doesn't seem to like me uploading anything ? Long term Huawei fan but for now I'm really unhappy. Preferred the P30 Pro.

Borh77

Apr 27, 2011
Paris
I am a little disappointed, the pictures at night seem ok, but they are better with my old HTC U11 and GCam which is strange because the P40 Sensor is ten times bigger.
The pictures with the night mode are very noisy.
Do you think my P40 Pro have a problem ?
Here are the samples :
1) Huawaei P40 Pro
2) Huawei P40 Pro with night mode
3) HTC U11 with GCam and night mode

ewrx.jpg

chc9.jpg

eyeu.jpg

xnostra

Oct 25, 2011
I am a little disappointed, the pictures at night seem ok, but they are better with my old HTC U11 and GCam which is strange because the P40 Sensor is ten times bigger.
Here are the samples :
1) Huawaei P40 Pro

ewrx.jpg

chc9.jpg

eyeu.jpg

you answered your question yourself, your using gcam try it with default camera they will not win with p40. if you want to make a straight comparison use gcam also on p40 then comeback at me

Borh77

Apr 27, 2011
Paris
you answered your question yourself, your using gcam try it with default camera they will not win with p40. if you want to make a straight comparison use gcam also on p40 then comeback at me
I'd love it but I did not find any working GCam mod on the P40 Pro for now. If you know one, please tell me. From what I understand, it is difficult to port GCam on devices without snapdragon

xnostra

Oct 25, 2011
I'd love it but I did not find any working GCam mod on the P40 Pro for now. If you know one, please tell me. From what I understand, it is difficult to port GCam on devices without snapdragon

try this

https://droidfunk.com/google-camera-7-4-for-huawei-p40-download/

although i dont like using gcam cause otherwise ill just buy a middle range phone if i will rely on that.
i bought a s20 ultra and p40 pro for their specs and their camera so if i will just be using gcam in the end then it means their camera is a fail.

Borh77

Apr 27, 2011
Paris
try this

https://droidfunk.com/google-camera-7-4-for-huawei-p40-download/

although i dont like using gcam cause otherwise ill just buy a middle range phone if i will rely on that.
i bought a s20 ultra and p40 pro for their specs and their camera so if i will just be using gcam in the end then it means their camera is a fail.
Thank you. I am sorry but when I click on the button "Google Camera for Huawei P40" it sends me to another page with many different GCam mods without saying which one is for the P40. Can you please give me the exact link to apk I must download ? I am very interested.

grizzlyspid86

Here are the samples :
1) Huawei P40 Pro
Right now Night Mod on P40 indeed has some issue. Pretty sure it will be fixed soon in an update. Well its good already using Auto without Night Mod, where others left behind.

rainchuva

Apr 6, 2020
Be paitient, I have read the below on Huwaei's UK website forum:

Huawei P40 series has just received a software update in China, that installs numerous system optimizations including the camera features and brings the new AI 50MP high-resolution camera mode.

AI 50MP Mode?
As the names reflect, this camera mode is the combination of AI and the 50MP ultra vision camera. When a user clicks the shutter button, it takes a three-second long shot, similar to the night mode and takes a number of images then combines it into one.
The process creates a high-resolution image created by the pixels taken from the images captured during the three seconds.
You can see the difference when you pinch and zoom the images taken from regular 50MP mode and the AI 50MP modes.
Huawei P40 series equips 50 MP Ultra Vision Camera (Wide Angle, f/1.9 aperture) including the largest CMOS sensor to date. Measuring 1/1.28 inches diagonally, compared to 1/1.7 inch type camera in P30 pro.

More on this update:
A week ago, Huawei P40 series received a first software update that installed a number of improvements related to its camera and system. Now there’s new software version rolling for this lineup but this time it’s for the Chinese users.
Huawei is rolling out a new update for Huawei P40 series that installs optimizations for the camera, Always on Display, multi-device control panel, display, and system stability.
The update comes in two packages and the changes are listed below.

CHANGES IN THIS UPDATE:
Camera: Optimizes the photo effect in high-pixel mode, improve the imaging quality, optimize the camera stability, and improve the shooting effect.
Always on Display: Adds a new condensed color scheme clock style.
Multi-Device Control Panel: Adds screen collaboration support for Huawei Vision TV X65, to share video playback.
Display: Optimizes the display effects.
System Stability: Improves system stability for better performance.

HUAWEI P40 SERIES EMUI VERSIONS:
Huawei P40 and P40 Pro receiving this update with EMUI version 10.1.0.122 and 711 MB in size. The update is currently rolling in China but it may also expand for other countries with a different version and a few changes.

Cheers,
L.

Reactions: dezy1337

dezy1337

Apr 21, 2020
Broken Hardware

I have several issues with the camera myself. As one user here stated: my darkgray/black couch is purple/pinkish. Indoor videos changes colours, lots of yellow tone slightly transitioning to purple/pink and overubeautifiyng the scenery. Zooming in and out during the recording makes it horrible as the color changes a lot depending on to which lens it switches. Also the zoom is very jittery and camera jumps as it goes through the zoom and switches lenses. As soon as the lens switches, it kind of interrupts the recording for a fraction or turns black and then kind of like a lightbulb burns. Visible outdoor at daylight and very annoying at night or in darker areas/indoors.

60fps videos have horrible quality.
I have posted some samples on youtube, which I cannot link here due to being freshly registered after lurking around for years. Look up ThePussycuz if you care.

Pictures at night are very noisy and horrible, unrecognizable in the dark.
I wonder whether I have a faulty camera and should send it in or whether it gets fixed with future updates?

Last edited:

dezy1337

Apr 21, 2020
This is something the corrupt "review 2 weeks later- I'm working with Huawei $ )" , Youtubers wont tell you.
Anyway, Hope it gets fixed.

So you think it's a software matter? Not sure whether I want to send it in, especially since I finally managed to get GMS working.

UXELLR

Apr 22, 2011
Sorry, don't know. In dxomark review there was some green and red color cast errors, and in other reviews the nightmode seems unfinished. As in not actually gaining picture quality. Have just tested the p40 pro in shops. That one seemed like missing HDR capability, blown out highlights, and was extremely sensitive in terms of blurry picture due to hand/camera shake. Hope other who has more experience here can help you. The phone is still new and ofcourse be better with updates.

Last edited:

xanthos84

Oct 3, 2007
S20 64MP photos look better than 50MP P40 Pro photos.
I can post two sample pictures of both devices of the same scenery and you can clearly see that the 64MP Samsung sensor does a MUCH better job!

P40 PRO 50 MP main sensor:
Saq4Mr5.jpg

S20 64MP sensor:
eKwWrRe.jpg

It's not even close!!!! Look at 100% and compare yourself

jpg 100% cropped in
S20
022MYJQ.jpg

P40 PRO 100% cropped in
hYPrnSp.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I have several issues with the camera myself. As one user here stated: my darkgray/black couch is purple/pinkish. Indoor videos changes colours, lots of yellow tone slightly transitioning to purple/pink and overubeautifiyng the scenery. Zooming in and out during the recording makes it horrible as the color changes a lot depending on to which lens it switches. Also the zoom is very jittery and camera jumps as it goes through the zoom and switches lenses. As soon as the lens switches, it kind of interrupts the recording for a fraction or turns black and then kind of like a lightbulb burns. Visible outdoor at daylight and very annoying at night or in darker areas/indoors.

60fps videos have horrible quality.
I have posted some samples on youtube, which I cannot link here due to being freshly registered after lurking around for years. Look up ThePussycuz if you care.

Pictures at night are very noisy and horrible, unrecognizable in the dark.
I wonder whether I have a faulty camera and should send it in or whether it gets fixed with future updates?

I had a look at your videos on Youtube.

You have a misunderstanding how the camera works, so thats why you get wrong results - or at least something you dont expect.

Your recorded video in 60fps does ZOOMING activities - and the P40 Pro simply cant record in 60fps on other lenses than the MAIN lense. So its ALL digital ZOOM in 60 fps videos.
Otherwise on the 30fps videos, the P40PRO can switch between the lenses during zooming - so of course, it can use it native 5times zoom lense - and so you get a much better result in the end.

Hope this clarifys it for other people too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can't call a phone king phone if it can't capture normal photo completely clear and not almost blurry. It's not a solution using pro mode every time to get a subject Focused. On pro mode every phone is good. Software on this phone is so low

The world has one central problem. It's not people with a lack of knowledge - it's people refusing to listen and learn.
    Three or four XDA members (including me) already told you the problem is not the P40 Pro, the problem is you doing it wrong. I also explained each and every detail, accompanied with sample pictures. You just ignored everything.

It's like you buy a new car, let's say a Porsche with 400 HP and a manual transmission, take a few test drives, then enter a Porsche forum and complain about the top speed being 60 km/h, while the revolution counter is at top, the engine screaming, call the Porsche a low-grade car, with a Daihatsu Cuore with an automatic transmission being far superior regarding top speed.
    Now forum members tell you: "You need to use the gear shift, you drove in first gear all the time!" You reply: "I f... kicked the pedal to the metal, still the same! The Porsche sucks, the Daihatsu making it right!"
    More forum members tell you: "If you drive in first gear all the time, you cannot go faster. Shift gears!" You reply: "A car going not more than 60 km/h doesn't deserve the title 'king of cars'! There's other cars which don't need shifting gears, so Porsche is rubbish."
    Problem: You didn't listen, you stubbornly treat the Porsche with it's manual transmission like the Daihatsu with it's automatic transmission, ignoring the fact you do it wrong all the time, ignoring every single voice trying to explain things to you.
    Isn't it time for a change?

As we've got a fixed aperture with a wide opening (small f number) we've got a shallow depth of field, a shallow focus range. This creates a nice bokeh effect, that "professional look" with the subject being sharp, everything else blurred, if used the right way. A large aperture also makes for good light sensitivity. Drawback: Shallow focus range, the closer you are to the subject, the smaller the focus range.
    So just increase the distance - and you're good to go!

Here's a quick picture comparison, again showing the wrong way (your way - too close) and the right way (some more distance).
    Plus a picture of the same subject taken in Aperture mode - as grizzlyspid86 already suggested to you.
    Plus a comparison picture taken with a "real" camera. Left-hand side: Large aperture (f 2.8), just parts focused. Right-hand side: Small aperture (f 22), everything focused.
    See? Even the semi-professional cameras do it the same way as your P40 Pro if a large aperture is used. This is the right and only way.
    Just listen. ;)

And by the way ... I regard the "Pro mode" as a great nuisance because it does not provide all necessary means for more "professional" photos. It's nice being able to set some parameters like ISO, metering mode, exposure time and the like manually - but one of the most important means is missing (since the P20 Pro): focusing aids like focus peaking. Focusing manually is just trial and error, plus the UI (placing the focus slider almost in the middle of the picture and fading out after a few seconds) being a handling catastrophe.
    Guys I just got P40 Pro (coming from P30 Pro) and as a professional photographer (I do that for a living in the past 10 years) I can tell you that the P40 Pro camera is definitely a downgrade. Especially night shots suffered dramatically compared to P30 Pro.

Much, MUCH more noise and weird blue-ish casts around the edges of the frame.

The whole image looks weirdly "smudged", P30 Pro actually has a very clean and detailed image at night!

However, I didn't get the phone for the photos (weird, I know), but for the experience. The phone is a beast, ultra-smooth, face unlock is AMAZINGLY fast and the whole phone feels very premium.

I highly recommend it, but if you are going to get it for the camera, P30 Pro is hands down the better shooter.
    Learn basic photography about big sensor + fixed wide aperture lens before u talking about something. Plane of focus becomes narrower, hence even with slight of distance differentiation (front & back petals), depth of field will be applied. The same thing goes with S20 Ultra as well (Big sensor + fixed wider aperture).

Try takes 'Aperture' mode, & change the aperture to '16'. I dont know if it will work out or not, maybe software can tricks it.
    +1 to this
    Took some pictures earlier. I believe AI master was on for the cat photos. The pic with the books was 5x zoom.
    Overall I'm happy with the camera.
    Fast auto photos. Flowers did on 2x zoom. Hamster if good remember on x5. Photos in night are on auto because without camera updtae night mode is in green. Got s10 in house and mate 30 pro. In all conditions p40 pro doing better photos and sharper with more details when cropping on pc
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone