Photo quality

Search This thread

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Absolutely! Especially at 10X, the S20U blows the Note 20 Ultra out of the water.

And space zoom, 50X on both phones looks nearly identical.

This is definitely a downgrade especially if you had the 16GB RAM on the S20 Ultra.

This is essentially an S20 Ultra, aka gimped, with a bigger screen and s-pen.

Definitely disappointed, usually the Note series stands out from the S series. This is essentially a sidegrade at best and if you're noticing these things, a big disappointment.

Kind of silly my nearly year old 11 Pro Max camera trashes this one, especially video and night mode. iOS 14 night mode is incredible!
Every comparison I've watched has the Note20 Ultra tied or beating the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Picture AND video.

The funny thing is if you read note 10's plus topic for the camera it turns out s10s camera was better, if you read, s10s topic it turns out note 9s camera was better... You get the point, hah? To me the camera is great, and don't forget that it's just the start of the note 20s life cycle and the quality will improve significantly with the software updates.

The Note 1 had the best camera! /s

:laugh:

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
And that's where the problem lies.
Yes I've seen them too and I would not say it's better across the board...

But video? iPhone 11 Pro is the one to beat. Samsung's audio is laughable especially outside. And you can hear it in the reviews. Sounds like it's raining. They still have YET to fix it. Perhaps, perhaps using a different source may but I suspect there is no way to bypass a bad DSP which is the same as post in photography...

Indoors audio is pretty decent and can capture a kickdrum close mic'd on stage over 125dB. Just remember to turn off that audio zoom feature! Which incidentally, Apple is using some sort of audio zoom that cannot be turned off. It doesn't clip/distort when in use on stage but it does wreck the sound of the horns. Can't have it all.

And night mode, iOS14 which is a beta and a real reviewer shouldn't be running it, is demonstrably superior. I've put the (Note 20 Ultra) on a tripod and it goes up to 20 seconds but still cannot compare to Apple's capture even at 10s. Manually overriding iOS will get up to 30 seconds with expected improvement.

Not to say it won't improve with updates but the sensor/aperture/lens combo on both the S20 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra have serious focal uniformity issues. Some like how it will make bokeh effects without gimmicky processing. No decent mirrorless or SLR kit does this.

It's disappointing when I snap a pic of a nameplate on an engine or instrument cluster and the corners are showing serious blur artifacts. My S9+ takes perfect shots, embarrassingly so in such example.

I "live with it" because in USA there is no dual sim option, yet for the past two generations it's worked perfectly with Apple. So I carry two phones (again) and use the 11 Pro Max for the text/panel shots. Thank goodness for dropbox photo upload/sync. ;)

xfaega

Jan 8, 2007
I took this with the note 20 Ultra yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200823_121320.jpg
    20200823_121320.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 20200823_121442.jpg
    20200823_121442.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 369

devilsmack

Aug 8, 2012
I'm getting the opposite N20U better than S20U both exynos

Mine is the US unlocked version. I think it's a software issue. Since then the s20 ultra got updated to One UI 2.5 and now the pictures are just as bad as the note. The problem was with 20 sec exposure or greater. It would look fine until the last few seconds, then it would all of a sudden get out of focus and blotchy.

leftcb17

Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if it's just me or the settings, it just something Samsung does but there's definitely a softness, or smoothness, to my photos vs. my previous phone, the iPhone 11 Pro Max. My wife is using the iPhone currently and I took a few photos to compare, the iPhone definitely showed more detail. Has anyone else noticed this, and it's there a way to fix/change it?

ZayaanAhyaan

Dec 2, 2016
I don't know if it's just me or the settings, it just something Samsung does but there's definitely a softness, or smoothness, to my photos vs. my previous phone, the iPhone 11 Pro Max. My wife is using the iPhone currently and I took a few photos to compare, the iPhone definitely showed more detail. Has anyone else noticed this, and it's there a way to fix/change it?

That's typical Samsung post processing. try this setting, it might improve your experience a little bit.

In camera setting, turn scene optimizer off, and in save options, choose HEIF. Helps a bit in details from my experience.

If you really want the sharpness, contrast and less blur in slightly moving images, you have to install Gcam.

Last edited:

jacktackle

Jan 28, 2009
London
This 50x moon click surprised me. Never a smartphone camera reachee to this level of zoom that is so clear.
Snapdragon N986N
Exynos might differ

Attachments

• 20200826_210006.jpg
    20200826_210006.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: YOSEFE

navalynt

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 12, 2009
Anchorage, AK
www.mikeandjessee.com
This 50x moon click surprised me. Never a smartphone camera reachee to this level of zoom that is so clear.
Snapdragon N986N
Exynos might differ

Show me the footprints. Then I'll be impressed and people will shut up about the conspiracy theories.

That's typical Samsung post processing. try this setting, it might improve your experience a little bit.

In camera setting, turn scene optimizer off, and in save options, choose HEIF. Helps a bit in details from my experience.

If you really want the sharpness, contrast and less blur in slightly moving images, you have to install Gcam.

I've used pretty much every Galaxy S and Note device and I've never had great detail in pictures with the Samsung stock camera. With a lot of ambient light you get some great scenery pictures, but indoor shots where you want great details (like pet photos) always lose details in postprocessing. A few things you can try are using Pro mode and keeping the RAW files (which seem to have more details) or try turning off scene optimizer while also turning on HEIF. Someone with a tripod that can accurately recreate the exact same picture with various settings should give those a try and post the results. I'm just relaying things I've tried that appear to help.

My ultimate hope is that the Adobe Photoshop Camera delivers on it's promise to be a truly universal camera app for Android that can take advantage of the hardware and processing power of various makes/models to be the best all-around camera experience. They've already acquired some of Google's talent behind the Pixel 4 camera which, IMHO, is still the absolute best Android camera.

Last edited:

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
As suspected, laser autofocus makes it impossible to shoot video or take stills at night through a window pane!

It's not a matter of acquiring focus or lock, but the IR is picked up by the sensor and produces all sorts of pink looking artifacts.

jacktackle

Jan 28, 2009
London
Show me the footprints. Then I'll be impressed and people will shut up about the conspiracy theories.

I've used pretty much every Galaxy S and Note device and I've never had great detail in pictures with the Samsung stock camera. With a lot of ambient light you get some great scenery pictures, but indoor shots where you want great details (like pet photos) always lose details in postprocessing. A few things you can try are using Pro mode and keeping the RAW files (which seem to have more details) or try turning off scene optimizer while also turning on HEIF. Someone with a tripod that can accurately recreate the exact same picture with various settings should give those a try and post the results. I'm just relaying things I've tried that appear to help.

My ultimate hope is that the Adobe Photoshop Camera delivers on it's promise to be a truly universal camera app for Android that can take advantage of the hardware and processing power of various makes/models to be the best all-around camera experience. They've already acquired some of Google's talent behind the Pixel 4 camera which, IMHO, is still the absolute best Android camera.

There you go. No edit no filter.
Note 20 ultra is here to kill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828-194802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828-194802_Gallery.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 180

ca12bon

Mar 15, 2012
New Castle
OnePlus 8 Pro
Anyone know if you can change the color temperature when taking pics on the N20U? I like the realistic temperatures/AWB of the Note 10+/Pixel phones/iphones instead of the highly saturated "fake" looking colors of the N20U.

xfaega

Jan 8, 2007
Anyone know if you can change the color temperature when taking pics on the N20U? I like the realistic temperatures/AWB of the Note 10+/Pixel phones/iphones instead of the highly saturated "fake" looking colors of the N20U.

Have you tried missing with pro mode? There you have control on all aspects.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200829-065430_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20200829-065430_Camera.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20200829-065441_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20200829-065441_Camera.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_0093.jpg
    108mp picture from Danny winget
    The funny thing is if you read note 10's plus topic for the camera it turns out s10s camera was better, if you read, s10s topic it turns out note 9s camera was better... You get the point, hah? To me the camera is great, and don't forget that it's just the start of the note 20s life cycle and the quality will improve significantly with the software updates.
    Had a hands on, the focus issue is completely gone. This is by far the fastest one yet. Pictures are also a lot better than the S20 ultra....over contrast and sharpening is not there and looks to be finally what they promised.
    Unfortunately at the mall the zoom lens didn't look as good to me....still pics at a distance were good, but anything with a a slight movement was a mess with the periscope camera. Also, the images were terrible compared to note 10 plus from 2x-4.9x, which I'm assuming was just a crop from the main pic as opposed to the telephoto from Note 10 plus. Ultra wide I preferred note 10 plus for some reason....tad more in the image and more details.
    Just my 2 cents...getting free buds live , 256 gb storage, Exynos 990 for 1225 dollars in UAE - edit * freaking thing is only 8GB RAM at this price.....insane
    Definite improvement on night mode from s20u..
    (Exynos)
    I love CamScanner! As a teacher, I use it all the time!! I hope I don't have issues with this phone with that app.

Microsoft's Lens Scanner does a great job, too! Especially if you're heavily invested in Microsoft apps like Office 365.