• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Photo resolution

Search This thread

Male_zvire

Mar 3, 2012
Hey all,
New owner of Pixel6 here. I have question about photos resolution. I upgraded from prehistoric Motorola Moto X Force. Photos from this phone was in "full chip resolution" - 21Mpx. It was very good when I tried to record some details (little cracks, surface imperfections) in my work. Just zoom to 100% and voila! And without "standard" camera device.
Pixel 6 have 50Mpx sensor (by specification), but photos have only 12Mpx. So I have only half of details compared to old Moto. Is possible to make photos with higher resolution? I dont need full 50Mpx, but about 20MPx can be very nice.

Thank you in advance! :)

T.

Izy

Hey all,
New owner of Pixel6 here. I have question about photos resolution. I upgraded from prehistoric Motorola Moto X Force. Photos from this phone was in "full chip resolution" - 21Mpx. It was very good when I tried to record some details (little cracks, surface imperfections) in my work. Just zoom to 100% and voila! And without "standard" camera device.
Pixel 6 have 50Mpx sensor (by specification), but photos have only 12Mpx. So I have only half of details compared to old Moto. Is possible to make photos with higher resolution? I dont need full 50Mpx, but about 20MPx can be very nice.

T.
mpx doesn't mean quality

Old and new phone comparison
The option to take a 50mpx shot would be nice but would require some specific lighting conditions

Reactions: hyelton and benwish

RiTCHiE007

Jun 22, 2011
Huawei P20 Pro
OnePlus 6
think its called pixel binding? Where 1 pixel has 4 sub pixels so thats why its 12.5mp x 4 = 50mp. This way it can take 4 photo's in 1 time with different exposure so that tricks like HDR etc gets done on the fly.

tfn

May 31, 2010
London
As of now you can't use the full 50 mp on the Pixel since as stated it does Pixel binning to give 12 MP images.

If you need high MP then maybe phones like S21 Ultra maybe a better option.

Or unless google activates the option in future updates if it's possible.

RiTCHiE007

Jun 22, 2011
Huawei P20 Pro
OnePlus 6
It's possible because my Huawei P20 Pro did the same trick and offered full res without the AI 0hoto features. Don't know if Google wants to do that since it will let the overall hdr etc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

T.
    mpx doesn't mean quality

Old and new phone comparison
    The option to take a 50mpx shot would be nice but would require some specific lighting conditions