Physical Drop & Scratch Resistance Report

Search This thread

takertx

Jun 30, 2009
Places Unknown
Hi everyone,

The Essential company claims that the phone is very drop and scratch resistant thanks to the premium materials used in the phone, but sadly there are no official Essential drop tests available anywhere which is mainly due to all the problems Essential seems to be having with supplies and rolling out their first manufactured devices. There are also some reports surfacing from the very early adopters of the phone of some scuffs and scratches which never go beyond a mere mention.

I thought I would start this thread where people who have the phone can report about how the phone handles inadvertent drops and scratches and scuffs to the screen and the ceramic back. When posting, please also include a little bit of explanation as to how it happened and if possible a picture of the supposed damages to the phone.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: tardis_42

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
Ya for what its worth it is way way way better than any aluminum phone would do. This they got right but its the software and camera that hold it back

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
Know what really does it for me? Stock Android is a bit too stock also. I have gotten really used to how the pixel works and really like it with all it's slight tweaks to stock.

The cameras sensors are still too small to be on the level of the the other flagships too. Not only software. The Google camera does pretty well though

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tech_head

Know what really does it for me? Stock Android is a bit too stock also. I have gotten really used to how the pixel works and really like it with all it's slight tweaks to stock.

The cameras sensors are still too small to be on the level of the the other flagships too. Not only software. The Google camera does pretty well though

I use Nova, so Android is never really stock for me.
I use Nova Launcher because I can restore my device layout on any device.
As far as the camera, I'm not that concerned about the quality.
For me it's a case of not having a better camera and just getting the picture is important.
If I really wanted a good photo, I'd use one of my"real" cameras.

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
I use Nova, so Android is never really stock for me.
I use Nova Launcher because I can restore my device layout on any device.
As far as the camera, I'm not that concerned about the quality.
For me it's a case of not having a better camera and just getting the picture is important.
If I really wanted a good photo, I'd use one of my"real" cameras.
Happy you like it man! It's not for everyone for sure. I thought it was my dream phone but for me... It's just not their yet. The next one maybe and still super happy with what they were able to make!

PhaseBurn

Jan 27, 2009
Mountain View, CA
phaseburn.net
I've dropped this phone in 1 week more than I've dropped my Pixel XL in the past 3 months, just because of how slippery the little bugger is. No damage as a result of dropping it, though.

I do have some very light scratches on the ceramic back, from sliding across my desk or countertop at home, which I was *not* expecting. Both the top, by the mod indentation holes, and at the bottom left, too. I know they aren't from dropping it, as every time it's fallen, it's landed on its side or a corner, never flat on its back.

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
I've dropped this phone in 1 week more than I've dropped my Pixel XL in the past 3 months, just because of how slippery the little bugger is. No damage as a result of dropping it, though.

I do have some very light scratches on the ceramic back, from sliding across my desk or countertop at home, which I was *not* expecting. Both the top, by the mod indentation holes, and at the bottom left, too. I know they aren't from dropping it, as every time it's fallen, it's landed on its side or a corner, never flat on its back.
Stop being so rich with your diamond crusted desks and counter tops ?

tech_head

Happy you like it man! It's not for everyone for sure. I thought it was my dream phone but for me... It's just not their yet. The next one maybe and still super happy with what they were able to make!

It is definitely not the phone for everyone. Build quality is for everyone.
There are some software shortcomings. I think they can sort those out.

I sold my 6P. SO I have the Essential for the long haul.

JaxDomino

May 8, 2010
Jacksonville
I have my replacement phone arriving today. I have gone through 2 glass screen protectors that due to the fit of them (not sticking to the edges) I have a nick in the glass at the top left and the screen is completely shattered on the bottom left, I can see gold metal under it and it has a crack running diagonally from left to right from the bottom left. I know I never dropped this phone from more than 2 feet high. I also have the scratches on the ceramic back near the mods ports. I've only used my 360 a couple of times. I'm definitely getting a case and moving to a plastic wet install screen protector.

Saturable

Sep 18, 2012
I haven't dropped this phone yet, but I have several hairline scratches on the back ceramic. I guess I'm around a lot of minerals or dust particles that are > 8 hardness, which I find interesting.

Also on the glass I notice a patch of hairline scratches. I'm usually real careful about my phones (of course, everyone says this) but I think that's more of Corning's fault this time around. They're really small but knowing they're there bothers me. I wish I could buff them out. I'll be getting a screen protector I guess.

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
My back panel got scratched (micro scratches) that's so weird. Got ceramic Xiaomi mi2 and it was perfectly strong....not like this one.

rednav

Jun 20, 2009
I dropped mine screen facing the floor from about 4 feet. Screen survived, minor scratches. Not a single crack. I didn't expect the screen to survive.

-Nav

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It is definitely not the phone for everyone. Build quality is for everyone.
    There are some software shortcomings. I think they can sort those out.

I sold my 6P. SO I have the Essential for the long haul.
    Hi everyone,

The Essential company claims that the phone is very drop and scratch resistant thanks to the premium materials used in the phone, but sadly there are no official Essential drop tests available anywhere which is mainly due to all the problems Essential seems to be having with supplies and rolling out their first manufactured devices. There are also some reports surfacing from the very early adopters of the phone of some scuffs and scratches which never go beyond a mere mention.

I thought I would start this thread where people who have the phone can report about how the phone handles inadvertent drops and scratches and scuffs to the screen and the ceramic back. When posting, please also include a little bit of explanation as to how it happened and if possible a picture of the supposed damages to the phone.

Cheers.
    dropped mine twice. 2 nicks in screen, but ceramic and titanium are fine.