Pixel 2 and miracast?

Search This thread

augie0041

Oct 28, 2008
I have been using Miracast for years with my previous Android phones while traveling in hotels, etc. I love that it doesn't require a wifi connection and I can still screencast whatever is on my phone to my TV. I've been reading that Google is blocking miracast on the Pixel phones so you have to use Chromecast but it doesn't have the same functionality of being able to connect using wifi-direct. Does anyone know of a way to connect my Pixel to miracast? I've read that I will need to root my phone, most of the instructions I've seen have been pretty complicated and I don't want to risk voiding my warranty.
Any help out there?
Thanks in advance,
Augie

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
I'm looking for an option to get Miracast to work without rooting as well on my Pixel 2XL. Actually, my issue is I do not have WiFi and I need a way to project my phone screen onto my TV. Apparently there is no way to hardwire and after buying a Chromecast, I found out it will not work using the hotspot from my phone. I need WiFi... Which I don't have. Any recs?

FQMR

May 22, 2016
Also interested in finding a solution to mirror the Pixel 2 using Miracast.
Worked perfect with my S7 Edge and a Miracast receiver.
Pixel 2 and Chromecast not only requires a router, which I hate, but mirroring videos are very laggy/choppy.

Xechorizo

Jan 5, 2008
In my experience, without root the most effective app for my Samsung smart TVs has been AllCast. It's not great, but it has worked.

TechLector

Aug 27, 2016
I'm looking for an option to get Miracast to work without rooting as well on my Pixel 2XL. Actually, my issue is I do not have WiFi and I need a way to project my phone screen onto my TV. Apparently there is no way to hardwire and after buying a Chromecast, I found out it will not work using the hotspot from my phone. I need WiFi... Which I don't have. Any recs?

Of course you can connect your pixel 2 or pixel xl to TV without rooting by using the Chromecast hardware.

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
Of course you can connect your pixel 2 or pixel xl to TV without rooting by using the Chromecast hardware.
NOT WITHOUT AN INDEPENDENT WIFI connection. Chromecast has to be using wifi, you cannot hotspot from your phone to chromecast AND use chromecast. Your phone and Chromecast have to be connected to a different wifi network, not the hotspot. So no, you are incorrect.

buschris

Jan 20, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
NOT WITHOUT AN INDEPENDENT WIFI connection. Chromecast has to be using wifi, you cannot hotspot from your phone to chromecast AND use chromecast. Your phone and Chromecast have to be connected to a different wifi network, not the hotspot. So no, you are incorrect.
Not sure why you say that, I use my hotspot to Chromecast every day. Now, you NEED a second device to get set up but once you do, you can use the hotspot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tekkitan

May 28, 2009
Cleveland
OK. What if we're not trying to cast to a TV? What if we have a device in our car that ONLY supports Miracast? How do we connect our Pixel 2 phone to a device where Miracast is the ONLY option and we don't want to root the phone? Anything more helpful than unhelpful people saying "use Chromecast" and not actually answering the question this entire thread is based off of?

Last edited:
Reactions: Junky228

WCDHelp

Jan 15, 2018
OK. What if we're not trying to cast to a TV? What if we have a device in our car that ONLY supports Miracast? How do we connect our Pixel 2 phone to a device where Miracast is the ONLY option and we don't want to root the phone? Anything more helpful than unhelpful people saying "use Chromecast" and not actually answering the question this entire thread is based off of?
Similar issue, as my portable pico projector requires Miracast...

Minikefala

Jan 26, 2014
Has anyone figured out a way to enable screen mirroring on the pixel 2? I understand there have been methods in the past regarding the build prop file.

Looking to mirroring via a wire or even WiFi direct rather than Chromecast.

Feedback is appreciated!

Reactions: spencerross

b00ster23

Feb 19, 2016
Moto E
Google Pixel
Has anyone figured out a way to enable screen mirroring on the pixel 2? I understand there have been methods in the past regarding the build prop file.

Feedback is appreciated!

This question has been asked a couple of times... I think I've posed the question to a couple of peeps. Originally I thought this was a hardware restriction, but seen that one individual stated that it was working on a Pixel ROM https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74365223&postcount=4 It's possible that when the ROM was ported over, the settings necessary came over with it. I haven't gotten too much deeper than this, but certainly would like this feature as well.

Reactions: samteeee

Travel_Mate

Jul 24, 2010
As far as Google sales Chromecasts, we won't get Miracast. It's business... It's the same for MHL, as far as Google sales Android auto, we won't get MHL support to use with some Head Units... Or at least we won't get it without root

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
Not sure why you say that, I use my hotspot to Chromecast every day. Now, you NEED a second device to get set up but once you do, you can use the hotspot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Miracast is not set up on the Pixel 2. Myself? Personally? I do not have Wi-Fi, my only source of internet in my household is using my phones hotspot. Until the Pixel 2, I've gotten around carrier hot spot data limits by Miracasting whatever is on my phone screen, ie. Netflix to my smart TV, data shows up as my normal data, hotspot is reserved for actual hot spot needs etc. Unfortunately Pixel 2 does not have the ability to Miracast. Whatever transmission tech is needed for Miracast to project from the Pixel 2 has been deliberately left out by Google in order to boost Chromecast sales. And unfortunately, Chromecast will not use my Pixel 2's hot spot to both set itself up and receive data from my Pixel, my phone and the chromecast have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, not my hotspot. Oh, and Google has also disabled the ability to share your screen via cables plugged into a tv/laptop as well. It's chromecast or nothing. But if you want to complain to Google with me or start a petition or something, I'm down. This is painful

Reactions: Lightning Racer

tekkitan

May 28, 2009
Cleveland
Miracast is not set up on the Pixel 2. Myself? Personally? I do not have Wi-Fi, my only source of internet in my household is using my phones hotspot. Until the Pixel 2, I've gotten around carrier hot spot data limits by Miracasting whatever is on my phone screen, ie. Netflix to my smart TV, data shows up as my normal data, hotspot is reserved for actual hot spot needs etc. Unfortunately Pixel 2 does not have the ability to Miracast. Whatever transmission tech is needed for Miracast to project from the Pixel 2 has been deliberately left out by Google in order to boost Chromecast sales. And unfortunately, Chromecast will not use my Pixel 2's hot spot to both set itself up and receive data from my Pixel, my phone and the chromecast have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, not my hotspot. Oh, and Google has also disabled the ability to share your screen via cables plugged into a tv/laptop as well. It's chromecast or nothing. But if you want to complain to Google with me or start a petition or something, I'm down. This is painful

I'd love to complain to them. I'm just not sure who would listen. Seems unfair to other products though that they stripped out Miracast in favor of their own devices....

Reactions: LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
Actually read that dealing with chromecast side of things was actually easier to bypass than doing the whole phone root which I'm not interested in or confident enough to do. Let me think about this. This issue is common in a lot of forums. And it's not cool Google took a tech on most phones and previous versions of the Pixel itself to pigeonhole consumers into buying their Chromecast. Don't companies get sued for this type of crap? Not saying Miracast is worth a lawsuit, but isn't this playing a bit dirty?

b00ster23

Feb 19, 2016
Moto E
Google Pixel
Actually read that dealing with chromecast side of things was actually easier to bypass than doing the whole phone root which I'm not interested in or confident enough to do. Let me think about this. This issue is common in a lot of forums. And it's not cool Google took a tech on most phones and previous versions of the Pixel itself to pigeonhole consumers into buying their Chromecast. Don't companies get sued for this type of crap? Not saying Miracast is worth a lawsuit, but isn't this playing a bit dirty?

So far, 2 ROMS that I have tried on the original google pixel has Miracast enabled. I've successfully connected to my Roku3 on both... :)

Reactions: LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
Good news! Yes, it's lame, no time as good as I hoped, but I found a semi-solution. My original issue, I do not have WiFi only my phones hotspot. I need to screen mirror so I can pretend I have TV. Pixel 2 does not have the Hardware to transmit wireless HD aka screen mirroring. The only way to pull this off, unfortunately, is with a Chromecast. However, chromecast no longer let's you use your phone as the wifi network (via hotspot) to **set it up the FIRST time**. It won't connect to the same phone where the wifi is coming from. Sooo... I had to hotspot my Pixel 2 to an old phone, my sprint Note. The Note connected to the hotspot from the PIXEL, I downloaded Google Home on the N4 and connected to CHROMECAST. I had to use the Note 4 to set up the chromecast to recognize the hotspot from the pixel. Then I disconnected the note 4, and started using my Pixel. As long as my hotspot from the pixel is one, Chromecast will connect and use it. HOWEVER.... I cannot screen cast from the pixel to the chromecast. I cannot mirror my screen. Only time that worked was when I had it set up backwards where the Sprint Note 4 was the hotspot. This has been a lot of ****ing work. I just wanted to avoid going against my hotspot limit. Apparently that's not going to happen. But, at least I'm able to get my phone connected to my TV again. That's refreshing. Even if it uses my data.

tekkitan

May 28, 2009
Cleveland
Good news! Yes, it's lame, no time as good as I hoped, but I found a semi-solution. My original issue, I do not have WiFi only my phones hotspot. I need to screen mirror so I can pretend I have TV. Pixel 2 does not have the Hardware to transmit wireless HD aka screen mirroring. The only way to pull this off, unfortunately, is with a Chromecast. However, chromecast no longer let's you use your phone as the wifi network (via hotspot) to **set it up the FIRST time**. It won't connect to the same phone where the wifi is coming from. Sooo... I had to hotspot my Pixel 2 to an old phone, my sprint Note. The Note connected to the hotspot from the PIXEL, I downloaded Google Home on the N4 and connected to CHROMECAST. I had to use the Note 4 to set up the chromecast to recognize the hotspot from the pixel. Then I disconnected the note 4, and started using my Pixel. As long as my hotspot from the pixel is one, Chromecast will connect and use it. HOWEVER.... I cannot screen cast from the pixel to the chromecast. I cannot mirror my screen. Only time that worked was when I had it set up backwards where the Sprint Note 4 was the hotspot. This has been a lot of ****ing work. I just wanted to avoid going against my hotspot limit. Apparently that's not going to happen. But, at least I'm able to get my phone connected to my TV again. That's refreshing. Even if it uses my data.

Can't use a Chromecast in my car lol

mx597turbo

Jun 24, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
OnePlus 9
This question has been asked a couple of times... I think I've posed the question to a couple of peeps. Originally I thought this was a hardware restriction, but seen that one individual stated that it was working on a Pixel ROM https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74365223&postcount=4 It's possible that when the ROM was ported over, the settings necessary came over with it. I haven't gotten too much deeper than this, but certainly would like this feature as well.

That was me, now I'm at it again. I actually sold the first Pixel because the roms that allowed for Miracast had other, deal-breaking bugs. I picked up a Pixel 2, and love the phone, but I have three criteria that are non starters for me, phone wise:
*Locked bootloader - not an issue with the P2
*VOLTE on Tmobile - not an issue with the P2
*Miracast - not available on the P2

I can confirm that on the stock rom, the build.prop edit does not actually enable functioning Miracast. If I can't find a working rom, I will sell the phone. If anyone has any info, please share.

Just an aside - please stop suggesting Chromecast as an alternative. Everyone on xda knows about this device and it's ability to mirror the phone's screen. If we're asking about Miracast, we need Miracast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That was me, now I'm at it again. I actually sold the first Pixel because the roms that allowed for Miracast had other, deal-breaking bugs. I picked up a Pixel 2, and love the phone, but I have three criteria that are non starters for me, phone wise:
    *Locked bootloader - not an issue with the P2
    *VOLTE on Tmobile - not an issue with the P2
    *Miracast - not available on the P2

I can confirm that on the stock rom, the build.prop edit does not actually enable functioning Miracast. If I can't find a working rom, I will sell the phone. If anyone has any info, please share.

Just an aside - please stop suggesting Chromecast as an alternative. Everyone on xda knows about this device and it's ability to mirror the phone's screen. If we're asking about Miracast, we need Miracast.

Feedback is appreciated!

Feedback is appreciated!

What the hell, you mean my brand new 2018 high-end Pixel 2 phone can't cast to my brand new 2018 high-end LG OLED C8 TV? What kind of bullshit is this? Android is supposed to be open, unlike Apple wirh their proprietary formats usually causing this genre of issues.

I know I can use the LG app to shate media, but I wanted a system-wide screen share, and as I understand Miracast is supposed to be it.

Unlike others in this thread, my phone is rooted and with Magisk, can this help in any way?