Pixel 2 and miracast?

Search This thread

androidddaaron

Mar 9, 2011
NOT WITHOUT AN INDEPENDENT WIFI connection. Chromecast has to be using wifi, you cannot hotspot from your phone to chromecast AND use chromecast. Your phone and Chromecast have to be connected to a different wifi network, not the hotspot. So no, you are incorrect.

Belkin mirricast dongle let's you cast without having the casting dongle on wifi you can cast from 4g LTE to the Belkin unit

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Dec 14, 2017
Correct, the Belkin is just another dongle and will not work for the Pixel 2. I'm a cable cutter and survived the last 10 years screen casting/mirror cast/screen sharing Netflix/Amazon from phone to the TV without using my hotspot data. I know Google deliberately left out the technology to enable screenshare/mirror cast to push their Chromecast devices on people. I can screenshare using my Chromecast but it uses my hotspot data. I need to avoid touching the hotspot, also need to find out and understand what exactly Google left out on the Pixel 2 to eliminate this feature. Hardware/antenna/software etc. And the end goal is to screenshare to my TV without using hotspot data and pretend I'm a civilized person who can watch TV. Any insight you could help provide in those areas please?

VooDoo`

Sep 3, 2010
Hi, I'm also very interested in this topic and still looking for a solution. At first I smiled at my boss and his iPhone, because Apple TV is needed for a direct wireless transmission. Now I can hardly believe that Google deliberately omits this standard feature. I am very disappointed.

Are there any news?

Dunge2

Jun 2, 2014
What the hell, you mean my brand new 2018 high-end Pixel 2 phone can't cast to my brand new 2018 high-end LG OLED C8 TV? What kind of bullshit is this? Android is supposed to be open, unlike Apple wirh their proprietary formats usually causing this genre of issues.

I know I can use the LG app to shate media, but I wanted a system-wide screen share, and as I understand Miracast is supposed to be it.

Unlike others in this thread, my phone is rooted and with Magisk, can this help in any way?

Reactions: Hyacin

sbjbs

Aug 4, 2011
Hi, I'm also very interested in this topic and still looking for a solution. At first I smiled at my boss and his iPhone, because Apple TV is needed for a direct wireless transmission. Now I can hardly believe that Google deliberately omits this standard feature. I am very disappointed.

Are there any news?

Hi, I just enabled Miracast for my Pixel 1 running Android Pie.
Since all Pixel phones have the same Android framework, I think it may also works for other Pixel phones, but I can't test because I don't have any of them.
You can try it for your phone if you can change your system files. Please check my post in Google Pixel forum.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
I can screenshare using my Chromecast but it uses my hotspot data. I need to avoid touching the hotspot
I know this an old thread, but I want to make sure that the solution to your problem is known: Connect your Smartphone (Unlimited Data Plan) via USB cable with a WLAN router that supports 'USB Tethering'. I use a AVM Fritzbox 4020.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This question has been asked a couple of times... I think I've posed the question to a couple of peeps. Originally I thought this was a hardware restriction, but seen that one individual stated that it was working on a Pixel ROM https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74365223&postcount=4 It's possible that when the ROM was ported over, the settings necessary came over with it. I haven't gotten too much deeper than this, but certainly would like this feature as well.

That was me, now I'm at it again. I actually sold the first Pixel because the roms that allowed for Miracast had other, deal-breaking bugs. I picked up a Pixel 2, and love the phone, but I have three criteria that are non starters for me, phone wise:
    *Locked bootloader - not an issue with the P2
    *VOLTE on Tmobile - not an issue with the P2
    *Miracast - not available on the P2

I can confirm that on the stock rom, the build.prop edit does not actually enable functioning Miracast. If I can't find a working rom, I will sell the phone. If anyone has any info, please share.

Just an aside - please stop suggesting Chromecast as an alternative. Everyone on xda knows about this device and it's ability to mirror the phone's screen. If we're asking about Miracast, we need Miracast.
    OK. What if we're not trying to cast to a TV? What if we have a device in our car that ONLY supports Miracast? How do we connect our Pixel 2 phone to a device where Miracast is the ONLY option and we don't want to root the phone? Anything more helpful than unhelpful people saying "use Chromecast" and not actually answering the question this entire thread is based off of?
    Has anyone figured out a way to enable screen mirroring on the pixel 2? I understand there have been methods in the past regarding the build prop file.

Looking to mirroring via a wire or even WiFi direct rather than Chromecast.

Feedback is appreciated!
    Has anyone figured out a way to enable screen mirroring on the pixel 2? I understand there have been methods in the past regarding the build prop file.

Looking to mirroring via a wire or even WiFi direct rather than Chromecast.

Feedback is appreciated!

This question has been asked a couple of times... I think I've posed the question to a couple of peeps. Originally I thought this was a hardware restriction, but seen that one individual stated that it was working on a Pixel ROM https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74365223&postcount=4 It's possible that when the ROM was ported over, the settings necessary came over with it. I haven't gotten too much deeper than this, but certainly would like this feature as well.
    What the hell, you mean my brand new 2018 high-end Pixel 2 phone can't cast to my brand new 2018 high-end LG OLED C8 TV? What kind of bullshit is this? Android is supposed to be open, unlike Apple wirh their proprietary formats usually causing this genre of issues.

I know I can use the LG app to shate media, but I wanted a system-wide screen share, and as I understand Miracast is supposed to be it.

Unlike others in this thread, my phone is rooted and with Magisk, can this help in any way?