Pixel 2 - terrible Android/software experience

Search This thread

djer34

Apr 14, 2011
Boise
I am also confused about OPs intentions. an article so that hopefully Google will pick up on the issue? you don't think that Google would pick up on problems from their own forms on their own device? when the Google version oem bootloader was greyed out.... Google picked it up immediately from their forms and issued a fix. Not sure why you are still using this device when you say things you'll never go back to Google again.... ok then bye? if you would like to look at the glass half full... then let's have a discussion, find commonalities, and go from there. that's what this site is for... not rants. get rid of the phone instead of rant.

some things I can identify with is the double tap to wake. it's inconsistent and unreliable. maybe something to do with the proximity sensor? I imagine it disables this feature when in pocket so maybe it's not alerting right. just a guess. in addition the double tap to zoom in photos doesn't always work...no guesses as to why that is. but it is also inconsistent but even with these...I love this device. Bluetooth works wonderfully. camera hasn't had an issue. use the headphone adapter daily in my vehicle. no other issues.
verizon version. unlocked. 8.1 Jan update. flash kernel. rooted. all that goodness

Reactions: bobby janow

stargate1000

Jun 9, 2008
I must be one of the lucky ones then!?!! I have none of those issues whatsoever. I've had almost every flagship phone for the last two years and software wise it's definitely the best hands down. Fast fluid, no stutters for me at least.

Camera is quite simply amazing.

Bluetooth connections. No problem with either set of the 2 headphones or my car or wife's car.

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
To be fair though, I haven't owned a single device that wakes each time issuing the double tap method. They've all been inconsistent, so maybe it's just an imperfect feature in general?
As long as you tap the same point on the screen (within about 1cm) I've never found that a problem.

Yes, I know tapping different points would be a strange and unnatual thing to do, but I got curious. I've also found that if I miss-tap a few times (e.g. tapping with different hands, so it doesn't wake) and then give it a double tap it usually doesn't wake. Wait a couple of seconds and it does. This is sufficiently reproducible that I suspect it's a feature designed to stop accidental wakes when something is brushing against it. But unless I do something like that I've always found the double tap reliable.

davidisflash

Dec 20, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I have absolutely no issues with bluetooth. I use it in my car and two other headsets. The only issue I have is intermittent Android Auto connection issues in the car (which relies on USB-C cable, not bluetooth), but the February update is suppose to fix it.

Touch input issues I *may* have seen very rarely, but it could be because of my fat fingers, dirty screen, etc. I have the regular Pixel 2 (not the XL) and specifically got it because of known issues with the XL. Based on your complaints: do you actually have the XL even though you are posting in the Pixel 2 forum?

As a software developer, I can tell you that expecting "perfect" software is a bit unreasonable. Even an iPhone doesn't have it. You can't expect an immediate time to market AND not a single issue at the same time. Some issues are more annoying than others, sure, and while I agree that critical bugs should not make their ways into public releases, it's inevitable sadly. Validation takes work and with these complex devices, there are countless number of use cases to validate. Usually, focused testing in the factory will cover the majority use cases so these more rare use cases, for example with specific bluetooth headsets and such, may not be covered due to time/resources if they want to meet YOUR expectation of hitting the market ASAP. So, relax, accept that software is a lifecycle (hence why there are going to be bug updates, just like an iPhone) and enjoy this awesome phone.

Colday96

Feb 6, 2017
I have absolutely no issues with bluetooth. I use it in my car and two other headsets. The only issue I have is intermittent Android Auto connection issues in the car (which relies on USB-C cable, not bluetooth), but the February update is suppose to fix it.

Touch input issues I *may* have seen very rarely, but it could be because of my fat fingers, dirty screen, etc. I have the regular Pixel 2 (not the XL) and specifically got it because of known issues with the XL. Based on your complaints: do you actually have the XL even though you are posting in the Pixel 2 forum?

As a software developer, I can tell you that expecting "perfect" software is a bit unreasonable. Even an iPhone doesn't have it. You can't expect an immediate time to market AND not a single issue at the same time. Some issues are more annoying than others, sure, and while I agree that critical bugs should not make their ways into public releases, it's inevitable sadly. Validation takes work and with these complex devices, there are countless number of use cases to validate. Usually, focused testing in the factory will cover the majority use cases so these more rare use cases, for example with specific bluetooth headsets and such, may not be covered due to time/resources if they want to meet YOUR expectation of hitting the market ASAP. So, relax, accept that software is a lifecycle (hence why there are going to be bug updates, just like an iPhone) and enjoy this awesome phone.
Did you flash the factory image or do you still use it just like it came out of the box ?

Telperion

Feb 20, 2011
Not invalidating the OP as the issues are present on the Google Product Forums too, but I personally haven't experienced any of this. No touch issues, tap to wake issues, audio adapter issues, Bluetooth issues, camera issues.

I have an unlocked bootloader, so my device has been wiped. Also I've flashed a factory image of the 8.1 January update, but I never experienced any of those issues prior to the 8.1 update. The bootloader unlock was the first thing I did after booting the device the first time.

matrix0886

Sep 21, 2011
Houston
Just do a warranty exchange. It's pretty obvious you have a faulty device. Because guess what? This kind of stuff happens in the tech world all the time. Sometimes, faulty devices make it off the factory floor. Nothing is ever 100% perfect all the time. Instead of complaining constantly complaining, talk to the built in Google support or just outright put in for a warranty exchange. You're fighting with an obviously faulty device. It's what a friend of mine did. He also had camera and touchscreen issues. Messaged Google, did an RMA, got a new unit and it worked flawlessly.

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
Has anyone received the February update ? It still isn't shown as a factory image online...
First Monday of the month is when I'd normally expect it to be released (though it's not a hard-and-fast rule), and it's still night in California.

As you say, there's been no news of it being posted, and I'd be surprised if anyone had received it OTA prior to that, though the recent out of sequence vendor-specific update showed that that's not a hard rule either.

Colday96

Feb 6, 2017
First Monday of the month is when I'd normally expect it to be released (though it's not a hard-and-fast rule), and it's still night in California.

As you say, there's been no news of it being posted, and I'd be surprised if anyone had received it OTA prior to that, though the recent out of sequence vendor-specific update showed that that's not a hard rule either.
I live in the UK so I though that they would have released it today at around noon. I imagine they therefore use the time zone of the US?

Last edited:

Sukhi

Aug 1, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I live in the UK so I though that they would have released it today at around noon. I image they therefore use the time zone of the US?
Factory images drop before the OTA. Images are usually released b/w 10-11am PST and OTA's get pushed past 6PM PST. Expecting the images to drop in the next hour if they are scheduled for today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
I live in the UK so I though that they would have released it today at around noon. I imagine they therefore use the time zone of the US?
Yeah, they'll release it globally, certainly not UK before US. That's why I noted that it was still night in CA.

And since it was released in the last hour I really should have had been more definite with my predictions ;).

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Google's gone down the hill. I would not say its a terrible experience but the phone has ton of issues which Google ALL acknowledged and never fixed (havent tested Feb update yet). Also the camera is pretty much exactly the same as on Pixel 1.......too much hype over Pixel 2.

From OPs issues I have difficultly swiping on lockscreen and Bluetooth issues, then recently my Phone app updated and started to automatically go to speakerphone mode.....very annoying bug. I just got Feb update and updated all my Bluetooth drivers in headphones and car, so will be testing

Last edited:

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
I have had this phone for over months and have been through 8.0, 8.1 and 9 developers previews 2,3 and 4. I have not faced the camera problem, or the double tap to wake up. Bluetooth is working satisfactorily and it has not dropped even once when connected to my car audio system. The only problem I occasionally face it the audio dongle while using Google Play and MapMyWalk while walking. The audio drops a few times and comes back in 1 or 2 seconds. This is not regular but does happen now and then.

I suggest you request for your phone to be replaced and it maybe some problem in the hardware. Most people are not facing these problems and that might be a reason you do not get any response.

Pixel 2 is my first Google phone and I bought it as I thought it would be the best android experience there is, based on all the review in major web tech outlets. I was very wrong. I am experiencing bugs on daily basis and there seems to be hundreds of people with same issues, yet nothing is fixed months after phone release. Could XDA look into this a publish an article that would hopefully be picked up by other sites so Google owns the issues?

I am on Jan security patch, we are over 3 months in from the launch and not much improvement.

Current issues:
- missed screen inputs/taps. In Photos/Camera double tap won't zoom in until several tries.
- double tap to wake is hit and miss, many times after multiple tries I have to use power button to wake up the phone
- difficult to swipe away notifications from lock screen or swipe up to unlock
- getting camera fatal error message and camera app freezes, factory reset and update to 8.1 helped with frequency but not fixed permanently
- home screen widget never shows any upcoming events if created on web or though another account like exchange - super stupid
- Bluetooth is totally unusable. Dropped connections in a car, audio that won't go neither in connected Bluetooth device nor phone speaker itself, disconnecting bluetooth headsets in the middle of the call etc.
- the audio dongle to connect wired headset rarely works and requires phone reboot with it connected to work

There is hundreds posts on Google product forums with these issues, yet no fix. I have reported these issues multi times, no one ever reached out to me. To some issues from the above Google actually admitted to them with only saying there will be a fix in a future fix, no ETA or what they are doing about it.

It is a joke for a phone that is over $700 with tax. The 8.0 seemed like a beta version pushed on people, I am tired of this practice. I had a Blackberry Priv which was BB's first Android phone and the OS had way less bugs than Pixel. You would think that Google's software would be perfect given their resources and that they basically write the OS.

I love the camera on the Pixel and it was pretty much the only reason I bought it. We have a baby and it takes great pictures super fast in all light conditions. But once others catch up with the imaging tech I think I will never go back to Google.

Olympus593

Of the issues OP mentioned, I've only had 2. Bluetooth used to drop randomly, with some specific montly build, a new update solved it. DT2W sometimes doesn't work, but come on, this phone has a fingerprint reader, so much easier than DT2W. And ambient mode, no need to even DT2W to check if there's notifications.

I've had a Google Nexus One, HTC One S, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Definitely Pixel 2 is the best Android I've used so far. There's so much attention to features regarding software/hardware that makes me really satisfied with it, worth every cent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel 2 is my first Google phone and I bought it as I thought it would be the best android experience there is, based on all the review in major web tech outlets. I was very wrong. I am experiencing bugs on daily basis and there seems to be hundreds of people with same issues, yet nothing is fixed months after phone release. Could XDA look into this a publish an article that would hopefully be picked up by other sites so Google owns the issues?

I am on Jan security patch, we are over 3 months in from the launch and not much improvement.

Current issues:
    - missed screen inputs/taps. In Photos/Camera double tap won't zoom in until several tries.
    - double tap to wake is hit and miss, many times after multiple tries I have to use power button to wake up the phone
    - getting camera fatal error message and camera app freezes, factory reset and update to 8.1 helped with frequency but not fixed permanently
    - home screen widget never shows any upcoming events if created on web or though another account like exchange - super stupid
    - Bluetooth is totally unusable. Dropped connections in a car, audio that won't go neither in connected Bluetooth device nor phone speaker itself, disconnecting bluetooth headsets in the middle of the call etc.
    - the audio dongle to connect wired headset rarely works and requires phone reboot with it connected to work

There is hundreds posts on Google product forums with these issues, yet no fix. I have reported these issues multi times, no one ever reached out to me. To some issues from the above Google actually admitted to them with only saying there will be a fix in a future fix, no ETA or what they are doing about it.

It is a joke for a phone that is over $700 with tax. The 8.0 seemed like a beta version pushed on people, I am tired of this practice. I had a Blackberry Priv which was BB's first Android phone and the OS had way less bugs than Pixel. You would think that Google's software would be perfect given their resources and that they basically write the OS.

I love the camera on the Pixel and it was pretty much the only reason I bought it. We have a baby and it takes great pictures super fast in all light conditions. But once others catch up with the imaging tech I think I will never go back to Google.

Get an iphone. You are the only one complaining about lots of issues. To be honest, theres a lot of things u can do, read, try fixes, or RMA your phone. Amazing how you can post this long but cant effort on trying to RMA it.

Get an iphone.
    I can partially understand the OP's frustration. This is supposed to be the smoothest Android experience and I've personally ran into more bugs in the past month of ownership than in the past 3 years of using Sony and Honor devices. Apps crash almost daily, the fingerprint reader is significantly slower than my Honor 8, and the double tap to wake feature has always required 4 or more taps.

That being said, I've never felt this phone was a bad purchase or unusable. If the OP feels that way, then he or she should simply have Google replace it. It's under warranty and this thread won't solve these issues.

Correct. Posting this is useless. RMA it or deal with it. Lol.

Current issues:

Pixel 2 is my first Google phone and I bought it as I thought it would be the best android experience there is, based on all the review in major web tech outlets. I was very wrong. I am experiencing bugs on daily basis <snip>

IF you're not trolling, why would you keep a device like this? Sell it and take maybe a $100 hit and get a device you like. The amount of effort and time you put into this rant would have paid for itself. You need to prioritize.

Current issues:

thank you for your honest impressions / thoughts

I want to spend the time and comment on your issues:

three points are related to the touchscreen. I have never experienced a single one of them and i am pretty sure there arent a lot of complaints in the www

In my honest opinion, why didnt you use your waranty ? This seems to be a defect on your device.

I have never experienced this issue, and dont know about any reports

It is clearly stated that this widget works with google account ... you can call this a stupid a choice but it is not a bug

my bluetooth connection in my car, bluetooth headset and even kde connect works flawlessly

well, its an audio dongle ... going for a smartphone without the headphone jack, you should have bt headset or usb type c headset ...