• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pixel 2 Won't Charge

Search This thread
I just bought a Pixel 2 off Ebay and it was advertised as new and it appears to be new. All I get is the lightening bolt when I plug it in and it never changes to show the current battery level. Phone will vibrate and show the little red indicator in the upper right, but will not seem to take a charge. I am using the stock charging brick and cable. Any way to fix this? I did make sure the brick and cable were good by charging my Pixel 6, it worked perfectly. I will leave it plugged in over night but if it doesn't take a charge I would assume the battery is absolutely shot.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's possible the battery set too long and internally shutdown. If so it would be completely dead.
If the battery is providing some power, it may or may not be the battery.
Return or try replacing the battery*.

*charge cable>brick>port>battery>mobo

It's possible the battery set too long and internally shutdown. If so it would be completely dead.

I actually got it to fire up! I guess if it's in that state you have to hold the power + volume down for like 25+ seconds. I did that and the bootloader popped up. I was surprised but now it's charging and I will test it over night to see if it holds a charge. It was still on Android 8 so I know this is an old device that was never purchased it seems. Looks totally new, I can't see any flaws.

Reactions: blackhawk

Figured out the build date was November 15, 2017. I guess this must have been a phone that got wholesaled to the Ebay seller I bought it from. Seems there is a ton of these Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL's that can be had on Ebay for quite cheap. I paid $137 for this 128 Gb Pixel 2 and it came with all accessories and everything looks completely brand new. Hopefully the battery holds a decent charge.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Figured out the build date was November 15, 2017. I guess this must have been a phone that got wholesaled to the Ebay seller I bought it from. Seems there is a ton of these Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL's that can be had on Ebay for quite cheap. I paid $137 for this 128 Gb Pixel 2 and it came with all accessories and everything looks completely brand new. Hopefully the battery holds a decent charge.

They purposely don't ship with a full charge as it needlessly degrades the battery. They lose about 2-3%@month in storage.
As long as it takes a charge and has good capacity it should be fine.

They purposely don't ship with a full charge as it needlessly degrades the battery. They lose about 2-3%@month in storage.
As long as it takes a charge and has good capacity it should be fine.
By capacity you mean holds a good charge? Is there anyway I can check that in fact its reaching the 2700 mah it's supposed to?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
By capacity you mean holds a good charge? Is there anyway I can check that in fact its reaching the 2700 mah it's supposed to?
mAh capacity. If it has good SOT and overnight usage it's likely ok assuming there's no battery hogs sucking it down.
Batteries generally aren't hard or expensive to replace so don't sweat it.

mAh capacity. If it has good SOT and overnight usage it's likely ok assuming there's no battery hogs sucking it down.
Batteries generally aren't hard or expensive to replace so don't sweat it.
It seems to be okay. Didn't have a SIM in so no mobile connectivity but I lost only 3% in 8.5 standby hours with WiFi connected.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I actually got it to fire up! I guess if it's in that state you have to hold the power + volume down for like 25+ seconds. I did that and the bootloader popped up. I was surprised but now it's charging and I will test it over night to see if it holds a charge. It was still on Android 8 so I know this is an old device that was never purchased it seems. Looks totally new, I can't see any flaws.