Pixel 2 XL screen quality?

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
There have been complaints about the LG POLED screens regarding screen uniformity. Hopefully Google gets the better quality panels than what LG uses on their own devices. I know that if I receive my phone and the screen looks like this, it's going back in the mail to be returned to Google the same day. I hope they don't screw this up, the Pixel 2 XL is such an expensive device that selling people screens like that on a $1,000 phone will not acceptable to a lot of buyers.

Attachments

• 296.5 KB Views: 10,856

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
There have been complaints about the LG POLED screens regarding screen uniformity. Hopefully Google gets the better quality panels than what LG uses on their own devices. I know that if I receive my phone and the screen looks like this, it's going back in the mail to be returned to Google the same day. I hope they don't screw this up, the Pixel 2 XL is such an expensive device that selling people screens like that on a $1,000 phone will not acceptable to a lot of buyers.
I somewhat am afraid of this also. I don't mind that LG is making this panel but I do mind if it looks like this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: cspanpa

whodatfan

Nov 13, 2013
It will definitely be tested ASAP. If the panels reveal the same issues, we will know about it with the quickness.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ricey

Jan 9, 2006
I wonder if it's the same screen. The V30 display is HDR, 109% DCI-P3, 148% sRGB. The Pixel 2 XL has no mention of HDR and 100% DCI-P3.

scandalousk

Jul 29, 2012
How many complaints have there been? I've only seen the screenshot posted in the OP, which was posted by ARS technica if I'm not mistaken. I also remember David over at Androidpolice mentioning it when the brightness is set to minimum on one Pixel 2 XL unit. Unless we start getting reviews this isn't a widespread issue. Only two units have been confirmed so far, so no need to worry.

Not to mention, LG isn't the only one that has this issue, some s7 and s8 phones have this issue too:

http://i.imgur.com/XmS7SVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fusYikY.jpg

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3678570&d=1457658022

Last edited:

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
I wonder this myself. I guess I can stop by Verizon after work tomorrow and have a look. It's hard to see uniformity problems in the brightly-lit store environment though, these sorts of issues are best seen in darkness or a dimly lit room.

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
Anyone go to Verizon store to check the phone out?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I went out to the Verizon store today and was profoundly underwhelmed by the XL 2 display.

First, it had a huge black band in the middle. Apparently it's not the only unit with this problem, someone on reddit posted the same issue I saw on my demo unit (https://imgur.com/a/CbfIH)

Second, colors were very dull and the whole screen had a hideous blue tint. I was instantly turned off by it. I've seen many many many displays through the years. Many phones have just fine displays, other's great (og Pixel XL, Galaxy S8...), but this Pixel XL 2 I saw was simply bad. Real bad for a $800+ device. I'm sort of hoping it was just this unit, but I've seen many reports already in reddit that are complaining about the same thing.

Reactions: fkloznica

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure LG isn't reserving the "good" panels for the Pixel 2/XL. They are both getting the same screen. POLED screens from earlier LG phones have had the same issues. If it's something you obsess over, you will see it. If you don't go hunting for it, you won't.

stinger4321

May 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure LG isn't reserving the "good" panels for the Pixel 2/XL. They are both getting the same screen. POLED screens from earlier LG phones have had the same issues. If it's something you obsess over, you will see it. If you don't go hunting for it, you won't.
But to have this issue on a 1k$ phone... Unacceptable

Reactions: Scottay5150

Born<ICs

Oct 29, 2012
GMT -5
Questionable screen is a show stopper for me. The xl screen is great. Thought I had a dead spot but reboot fixed. I liked 6p screen size. While a big phone much easier for old eyes. Thought $410 trade was good reason to switch to 2 xl same size as 6p but having second thoughts now.
Would like to hear more about the plastic oled tech. Anyone have link to a good lg thread on the screen?

Last edited:

jtwlbz

Apr 29, 2012
Earth
Just checked xl2 out at verizon. My impression is that it feels good in hand. Buttons tactile dont like volume buttons are one unit tho. I like the texure of the body. Screen looks fine but the color seems too much black. Too much black in all color. I still see this oled color shifting in some viewing angle. Stereo speakers seems not that loud not much bass either.
Oh the vibration feels good like samsung kinda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
But to have this issue on a 1k$ phone... Unacceptable

I don't disagree. So is having 4GB of RAM on a 1k phone. It's the technology they chose to have the squeeze gimmick. It's not like LG is reserving the good POLED screens for the Pixel 2 was my main point. It's also really hard to notice unless the screen is dimmed in my experience. Not making excuses, though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
The possible screen "issue" is when the phone brightness is turned all the way down correct? If so...non issue for me. I can probably count the length of the minutes on one hand of the time I've had the brightness turned all the way down the past few years.