Pixel 2 XL screen quality?

Search This thread

rsbenedict

Jun 12, 2005
Sacramento
teachforjune.com
I would still keep this phone even without the discounts. I'm loving it and my blue-shift is not as bad and ONLY noticeable on a white background and even then only when viewed at an angle. I may be wrong, but I think the blue tint is because of the polarization-layer. Many polarized sunglasses have a similar blue hue to them compared to the browns or silvers of regular sun glasses. And almost all of the OLED screens I have seen have some color shifting. The 3rd phone in the pics above shifts a little warm (pinkish).

cwalker0906

Nov 2, 2010
chicago
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I would still keep this phone even without the discounts. I'm loving it and my blue-shift is not as bad and ONLY noticeable on a white background and even then only when viewed at an angle. I may be wrong, but I think the blue tint is because of the polarization-layer. Many polarized sunglasses have a similar blue hue to them compared to the browns or silvers of regular sun glasses. And almost all of the OLED screens I have seen have some color shifting. The 3rd phone in the pics above shifts a little warm (pinkish).
Some screens are ok and some are bad

Isn't the Pixel 2 also polarized? Now I think your going fanboy a bit by saying you would keep it even without the discounts you've received. Is that not the true definition of fanboy, press forward even when issues are sighted. How about posting some pictures so we can see how awesome your display may be compared to what others have posted on here. The one I viewed at Best Buy seemed to be one of the better ones compared to ones posted here, but after seeing the iPhone 8 and Samsung S8+, the Pixel 2 XL was very subpar. I expect superior quality for nearly $1,000, not half assed varying quality, and certainly not a company that specifically says it was engineered that way. Go read the Google forum if you haven't yet, and see what nonsense is being spewed by Seang Chau about the blue shift. I'm sure you're not alone in the fact you love the device, unfortunately it lets Google off the hook, and if enough people see it the same way as you, we will be doomed in the future if Google knows they can get away with this level of quality. In no way am I blaming you, it's just a matter of fact, and we will see how all this plays out.

cwalker0906

Nov 2, 2010
chicago
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Isn't the Pixel 2 also polarized? Now I think your going fanboy a bit by saying you would keep it even without the discounts you've received. Is that not the true definition of fanboy, press forward even when issues are sighted. How about posting some pictures so we can see how awesome your display may be compared to what others have posted on here. The one I viewed at Best Buy seemed to be one of the better ones compared to ones posted here, but after seeing the iPhone 8 and Samsung S8+, the Pixel 2 XL was very subpar. I expect superior quality for nearly $1,000, not half assed varying quality, and certainly not a company that specifically says it was engineered that way. Go read the Google forum if you haven't yet, and see what nonsense is being spewed by Seang Chau about the blue shift. I'm sure you're not alone in the fact you love the device, unfortunately it lets Google off the hook, and if enough people see it the same way as you, we will be doomed in the future if Google knows they can get away with this level of quality. In no way am I blaming you, it's just a matter of fact, and we will see how all this plays out.
I have seen the good screens and they are good, but the bad ones are bad. I will just keep returning it till I get a good one

Reactions: whyme45125

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
Anyone that has a 2XL with a "good" display, how's the black smearing issue? At low brightness, it really is noticable. I did a compare next to my 6P and it was night and day difference. Also, at normal brightness, my screen is hard to look at, it's like uncomfortable and looks like something isn't tuned right with white balance and contrast. I use auto brightness with it set to 50% on the slider. The only way I can make it more comfortable to view is with night light. My 6P obviously doesn't have this issue with the same settings. I am really debating on whether or not I want to RMA mine or just return then purchase again in a couple months hoping all the issues will be worked out. I really do like everything else about the phone and the battery life is unbelievable. I'm curious on how the software updates will look as well but I will be out of the grace period to return by the time that happens. The only thing I'm going to miss out on by returning is the home mini which I planned on selling anyway so it was like a $50 discount. I'm thinking with holidays coming up, there will be deals and I won't have to waste my time selling something. Either way, this one has to go back, I just can't decide which route to go.

I know I'll get all the 2XL haters saying return it and get a Samsung but I have no interest in Samsung so please spare me. I got this phone for the software, camera and front speakers. I do like the style and not bothered by the "bezels".

Edit: my manufacturing date is October 12th

Huawei mate 10?
It's a very light Android skin and fast as hell. The stereo speakers on that while not front facing are supposed to be much louder and fuller than on the pixel XL 2

jrg67

Jun 21, 2013
Google Pixel 4 XL
Huawei mate 10?
It's a very light Android skin and fast as hell. The stereo speakers on that while not front facing are supposed to be much louder and fuller than on the pixel XL 2

I'm on Verizon so I think that pretty much negates everything. But I have to be honest, while I love my 6P, I'm not too thrilled with the hardware Huawei used given all the weird little issues this phone has had. I had to go through 5 to get the one I have now in which the battery is getting crappy again. I should see if Google wants to RMA it again and give me pixel XL 2016 like they were a month ago.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
I'm not trying to defend Google's decision to use lg as the display supplier but every flagship has their vices, note 8 is large cumbersome, laggy scrolling, heavy ui,

Lol don't know why you have laggy scrolling on your Note 8, my S8+ is just perfect. Note 8 should be a bit better even. I use to be able to complain about TouchWiz.... Hardly the case anymore. Since the S7 Edge.

ProAm500

Jul 1, 2007
Here is a photo of a very common use case of playing with the phone flat on the kitchen table. I tried to get the perfect angle for that scenario.
DSC04301.JPG

I'm glad you stated and shared this. Frankly, I'm shocked at the number of people who say "I never use my phone at an angle" or things like "why would anyone be looking at their phone sideways anyway?". I stated this earlier in the thread, I probably view my phone 60/40 straight on/angled at various degrees on a given day. That it includes laying in bed, (which I never noticed until the other night, I view almost exclusively at an angle) or at my desk at work, sitting in a meeting and glancing real quick, etc. I just can't believe anyone who says that.

onishchuk4

Dec 25, 2010
Boise
Those of you with some serious color shift, how are you getting cx service to rma the phone for you? I'm asking cus I'll probably rma mine her soon for the very issue and really don't want any pushback.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: blcklab

LordGrahf

Nov 20, 2011
I'm glad you stated and shared this. Frankly, I'm shocked at the number of people who say "I never use my phone at an angle" or things like "why would anyone be looking at their phone sideways anyway?". I stated this earlier in the thread, I probably view my phone 60/40 straight on/angled at various degrees on a given day. That it includes laying in bed, (which I never noticed until the other night, I view almost exclusively at an angle) or at my desk at work, sitting in a meeting and glancing real quick, etc. I just can't believe anyone who says that.

I think it's more of just others stating how they use their screens or simple curiosity rather than judging those who don't look at it head on. It's like when reviewers used to say how a camera bump would make a phone unstable if you type while it's laying on a table, I used to think who would ever do that!
We're all different and interact with our phones differently. I never look at the screens from an angle, never use it while it's on a table, etc. :)

The blue shift complaint is still a valid one though since some as yourself look at their screens from all sorts of angles and phones in the same class as 2XL are not suffering from the same issue.

whyme45125

Oct 20, 2017
Those of you with some serious color shift, how are you getting cx service to rma the phone for you? I'm asking cus I'll probably rma mine her soon for the very issue and really don't want any pushback.

I would go with quoting Google "only have blue shift at sharp angles" and tell them it's blue at shallow angles or if that bad almost straight on, take couple pics for them to see.

rsbenedict

Jun 12, 2005
Sacramento
teachforjune.com

I don't have another phone to take a pic with. I sent in my Pixel XL for trade-in. I've only had the Nexus 6P, and both Pixel phones, so I'm not a Google Fanboy! LOL. I own Macs and Chromebooks (can't stand Windows), I have Samsung Tab S2, an iPad, and both a Kindle and Kindle Fire. I've had phones from Palm, HTC, Samsung, LG, Google, and Motorola. I have both the Amazon Echo (full sized and dots) and Google Home (full-sized and minis). So I'm all over the board with my loyalty. Last year I paid full price for my phone and I would have this year as well. It just so happens that both T-Mobile (my current carrier) and Google were willing to give me rebates.

My phone works, it has the blue tint, but the screen is otherwise flawless and I only notice the blue tint when I'm ONLY on a white screen and I tilt the phone (which is rare). If I'm looking at the phone, it's usually straight on. Heck I've had many phones and laptops with LCD screens and try looking at those off angle! :)

I think it is a QC issue and you can just RMA to get a better one. Doing the RMAs will also tell Google they need better QC.

onishchuk4

Dec 25, 2010
Boise
I would go with quoting Google "only have blue shift at sharp angles" and tell them it's blue at shallow angles or if that bad almost straight on, take couple pics for them to see.
Thanks! Yeah the shift isn't bothersome... Except when I have the phone down on a table or something. Super noticeable and slightly annoying when half the screen is blue and the other half isn't.

jtwlbz

Apr 29, 2012
Earth
I would just return it at this moment. It would be wasting time and energy keep rmaing it since my guess is 90% is blue shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
I agree with your assessment on all accounts, and that's why I won't go Samsung. The notch on the iPhone is weird, but it's engineered that way and it's easy to see. If folks don't like it they won't buy it, it's not being hidden in any way. Google wants to be taken seriously in the hardware game, but their QC let this travesty out the door and are asking $949 for it, not acceptable. They have software down, but this release leaves something to be desired about their QC and hardware choices. They should have just stuck with Samsung panels. They probably went LG to save a buck and it has backfired. Whoever made that decision will be fired, I'm sure of that.

I doubt Google went with LG to try to save money on the panels. As we know it Samsung has a monopoly in a way on OLED panels and Google probably invested the money in hopes of LG making a competitive display. I'm hopeful with time they will succeed and another company besides Samsung will make quality OLED panels for mobile devices.

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
This is great news. Please let me know what setting it is that turns off the blue shift and I will select that setting and happily keep my phone. OR maybe the phones are set to the same setting and its a the variation in the screen. However, your last sentence is very true and it seems your post embodies that sentiment.

PS the poster has already stated the settings are the same.

Obviously his settings aren't the same as the nav bar is different. Another poster mentioned one of his phones is on 8.1 and another is on 8.0, so NOT the same.

By the way, turn on night light and set the night light intensity all the way up. Now see your blue tint issue lessen greatly. So yes, there are settings that decrease the blue tint issue, but obviously night light on all the time is not a feasible solution.

I think Google should recalibrate the white point to be slightly warmer, rather than cooler/bluer (currently white point is at D67 which is slightly bluer than "normal" white point of D65) to lessen this blue tint issue. If night light (which makes everything redder) can lessen this, than recalibration to be slightly warmer in general may work.

Last edited:

NWTSCL

Sep 16, 2016
Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in a Tweet on Friday Oct 28 that Google "Will drop everything else we are doing and address on Monday:)". He was referring to a stupid hamburger emoji that has the cheese on the bottom rather than the top.

Am I reading into this right? Everything? That must include screen burn-in and color issues. Isn't that great?

I felt a bit sorry for Google for their financial loss in this Pixel 2 XL bit. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: fkloznica

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who are curious, this is my Galaxy S8 Plus vs. my Pixel 2 XL. Head on and at angle.

As you can see, the P2XL has a warmer display than the S8+ looking directly at it, once we move to an angle both phones do color shift. The S8+ shifts to a more warm pinkish, and the Pixel 2 XL shifts to a cooler blue. Almost like they swap places.

To me, it's a 100 percent non-issue and I never notice it on either phone on a day to day use.

phonecomp.jpg
    Honestly,

I don't understand all the energy being put into the what if, and how's this, and should I do this (or the petty bickering either, but that's another topic).....

My 2 XL should be delivered Thursday or Friday.

When I get it, this is what I'm going to do:

set it up,
    play with it,
    listen to the speakers,
    take some pics (view them at diff angles (not sure if I'll use mils or degrees, but they will be angles)
    play a few graphic intensive games,
    Try to root if something becomes available.

Here comes the best part:

THEN, I will make a decision to keep it, wait for a software update, wait for a new batch to get built and the problems to go away then RMA it, or I'll return it and ride my 6P running Pure Nexus for a while longer.

Giving and reading other's reviews are good insight, but If you are worried by all the "bad reviews" you are reading about the display, the sound, the blue tint; either wait until YOUR device shows up and follow my handy dandy do-it-yourself decision guide, or hit the local cell store and play with one for 5-10 minutes.

DO NOT let someone else's observations make your decisions for you, add your own observation first.

You'd never marry someone because of a review, why buy a $1,000 device that way? Check that stuff out on your own! (that wicked logic is FREE)

And above all, interact with each other respectfully and with the intent of being helpful. The rude, bickering, and insults really are unnecessary. Be helpful or be silent.

Yes, I'll be posting a review once I've gone through my 2 XL, but please, add to your own experience before making your decisions.

Peace :D
    Thread cleaned again!
    Please read forum rules before posting
    Attacks on other members will NOT be tolerated
    EVERYONE has a right to their opinion
    Read it and move on, or post yours without attacking another's!

FYI...blue shift is not a bug...it's a feature :silly:
    Been using mine for a few hours now next to my original Pixel XL. Thoughts on the main three screen "issues" below.

Colors

The 2 XL does have colors that are much more muted out of the box than most devices these days. Is it distractedly bad? Not in the slightest. There's nothing wrong with the colors from a technical standpoint. That said, I do prefer a more saturated display. The good news is the colors look almost identical the original XL when sRGB is switched on in Developer Options, so that's likely a fairly straightforward software fix that we'll hopefully get. Even if Google never issues a software fix, I'm fine with the sRGB colors. If you use it for awhile on its own, you get used to it. If I had set the phone up completely apart from any other device, I would have noticed the colors are more muted, but it wouldn't be as obvious without all of the discussion around it and a direct comparison to the original Pixel XL. Not a deal breaker for me.​

Blue Tint

The blue tint when tilting is very real and can be very distracting. When you're looking straight at the screen, which will be most of the time, all is well. But even just a slight tilt brings out a noticeably blue tint. If you use a stand or a case with a kickstand that puts the phone slightly off from being a direct line of sight, you're going to see it. There are likely some software tweaks that could be implemented, but it's doubtful this will ever completely go away as it seems to be hardware-related. This is something I definitely would have noticed quickly even if there had not been discussion about it online. It's impossible to miss, especially on white backgrounds (like the setup screens). If anything about the display is going to be a deal breaker for me, it will be this.​

Graininess

Yes, on light backgrounds at very low brightness, there is a sort of graininess that can be seen. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. But I'm not sure if it's something I would have noticed quickly (or at all) if I wasn't looking for it. Likely hardware-related, but software could potentially help a bit. Not a deal breaker for me.​

Overall, the screen isn't as bad as many are making it out to be. It's not as good as it should be for this price range, but one of the major three "issues" comes down to preference, not a lack of quality with the panel. Another (graininess) isn't a big deal to me. The third is what has given me a bit of uncertainty. I need to give it a few days of use before I decide. I'm still extremely happy with the original Pixel XL, and I know I'd be just fine holding onto it for another year. That said, I have a feel the other upgrades to the 2 XL (water resistance, front-facing speakers, upgraded internals, and most importantly that camera) will keep me on board.

As for recommendations, you really need to look at it yourself and decide how you feel about it.
    I'm treating the blue shift as a privacy filter, if your trying to peep my phone good luck! [emoji6]