[Pixel 3a][Android 11][ROOTED][TWRP 3.6.0] Install OTA without reverting to stock

Search This thread

LastStarDust

Dec 24, 2012
Google Pixel 3a
Hello!
I am on an older version of Android 11 and I would like to install the latest Android 11 OTA without losing root and TWRP.
I know that I could just manually flash the lasted Android 11 firmware, then re-install TWRP and Magisk, but this would mean losing all data and having to reinstall apps, restore backups, etc...
So I was wondering if there were a quicker way to install OTA updates without losing data and root.
I know that there are many articles on the subject but they all refer to a previous version of TWRP and Magisk. Because TWRP 3.6.0 sports a completely revamped codebase I would like to know what is the latest recommended method if any.
This is my system info:
  • Android 11 sargo-rq1a.201105.002-factory-2433e0c0
  • Magisk v23
  • TWRP 3.6.0-11_0
  • Japan region
PS I do not intend to update to Android 12 yet

Last edited:
Reactions: blksith0

reyqn

Sep 29, 2014
I was looking for the same thing, didn't find any good solution, however, you can edit the flash-all script so that it doesn't wipe your data (remove the -w argument if I remember well).

reyqn

Sep 29, 2014
It's annoying that we can't choose the OTA android installs, it has to be the latest one. On some phones you can choose a local file, but I didn't find a way to do so with a pixel 3a.

If you were able to do this, in theory you could just flash the magisk module for twrp retention and preflash magisk on the unactive partition after installing the ota but before rebooting. Then just reboot and you keep everything.

I'm not ready to update to android 12 either (gravitybox, twrp), but I'll try then...

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I ended up flashing the latest version of the stock firmware and reinstalling TWRP and root. However if you have a solution please post it for future reference.
I don't understand. Just flash the Full Factory OTA zip in TWRP. That won't remove any data. And you can just check the box to "Automatically flash TWRP after zip" so that you'll keep whatever TWRP you're using. Then you just have to reboot recovery (so that you're on the updated slot) and flash the Magisk APK in TWRP. Reboot and profit.

P.S. This post belongs in Q&A.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I wondered if you could do this, apparently TWRP doesn't recommend it.
Also I had no idea how this works on a device with A/B partitions. Does TWRP automatically flash on the inactive partition?
That 'recommendation' is specific to incremental OTAs. Also, it not generally being supported isn't the same as it not being recommended.

TWRP will install the zip to the inactive slot, and then when you reboot, the device will automatically boot into the updated slot.

Reactions: blksith0

theshaanmalik

Feb 1, 2022
hi everyone, i flashed pixel 3a to android 12 and now my imei is 004400.... and no service ..... what should i do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!
    I am on an older version of Android 11 and I would like to install the latest Android 11 OTA without losing root and TWRP.
    I know that I could just manually flash the lasted Android 11 firmware, then re-install TWRP and Magisk, but this would mean losing all data and having to reinstall apps, restore backups, etc...
    So I was wondering if there were a quicker way to install OTA updates without losing data and root.
    I know that there are many articles on the subject but they all refer to a previous version of TWRP and Magisk. Because TWRP 3.6.0 sports a completely revamped codebase I would like to know what is the latest recommended method if any.
    This is my system info:
    • Android 11 sargo-rq1a.201105.002-factory-2433e0c0
    • Magisk v23
    • TWRP 3.6.0-11_0
    • Japan region
    PS I do not intend to update to Android 12 yet
    I ended up flashing the latest version of the stock firmware and reinstalling TWRP and root. However if you have a solution please post it for future reference.
    I wondered if you could do this, apparently TWRP doesn't recommend it.
    Also I had no idea how this works on a device with A/B partitions. Does TWRP automatically flash on the inactive partition?
    That 'recommendation' is specific to incremental OTAs. Also, it not generally being supported isn't the same as it not being recommended.

TWRP will install the zip to the inactive slot, and then when you reboot, the device will automatically boot into the updated slot.