Pixel 3a with not that good camera (selfie vs redmi note 7)

Search This thread

Ryannb43

Apr 4, 2019
Today I received my first pixel, and I was so hypped about a real google camera, but I'm kinda disapointed, here is a selfie test from pixel 3a versus my old redmi note 7 with Gcam in it
The pixel its not badd, but the 200$ and older phone seems more detailed, I dont know, but for selfie, its not a real update. Is there a modded gcam that works better than the original one?
ILEkmIuGQvfNHExWEPvB4nImsjeUP7wFjKkfqgUCGrfOT2-U4hIao-bWy6Vms8ysXQG_VlCFz8MKKddD_ybI6Ik5qn5qj9tEc6tfKXcXqumuKPcjCvXrwPQ_HpkgDr3ZINl0aQyab3eYpPjIjQWNNw7IYYU25n51FnXnkRTXJVjQ1yW7n9b9X2X9_2gJHw4ebhSEvpIKqgI0GxjsirfjrQTg0si0vF7_0CptEDi52-Kvoh5fkZ6u-KRr2Rx9QlhhOxLgIRSDWzjR1ky3Y19FmKrLHU14nOAanC4-7BFxdu4f0gfpHA8sPe5PbJ4JianRTMsgcBRnpBzYhlF0nVWkXoNNNHqBBA19Q2GahJc5q2agcutgKWCEndpGmivjSYqhcXnPtR8sI4yBo89oJQ9HFSpaJ2IYqRan_l_0QKLVnNr4tw7-0WMHm5aBSkVdm4KTnk1PUEc4qBGhAEBFVmQSk9hjleO2ZKAsu9TR2Q_r_yv8Zm1IEnRu-1W5rtC9sLUabwKjHDuGUEwXIGA4ept3Odp7eFq8MiozICaJaVrIKtJzeeTIpRUoqCq6dvjwst5TPucAZQg4-QCbfwGM8iE572QUXBRq9QLGBnpT_YaFQkKRm-KM6ZVrCvXNQi236vbrwTgFe3MJ2kebA49CFaiiZYsV3NhzCPpV_dO1nwqKuV37oRs5h86snwtG-Nun0A=s971-no
[/IMG]

bubbyj

Dec 31, 2015
Today I received my first pixel, and I was so hypped about a real google camera, but I'm kinda disapointed, here is a selfie test from pixel 3a versus my old redmi note 7 with Gcam in it
The pixel its not badd, but the 200$ and older phone seems more detailed, I dont know, but for selfie, its not a real update. Is there a modded gcam that works better than the original one?

Here's my two cents:

The pixel front facing camera is not it's strong suit. It's main/rear camera, however, I will put it up against *any* camera on the market today. I use it for professional photography, shoots, high school senior pics, weddings, landscapes, etc. It's simply incredible.

I rate it 9.5/10 (I'd give it a 10, but of course, there's always room for improvement.)

The front camera, I'd give a 7/10. Mine has tons of noise, especially in low light settings. Probably arising from an auto ISO that is set too high. It's also pixelated to an extent.

What I would recommend is to try a couple of other apps that I use: 1) ProCam X (paid). 2)Manual Camera DSLR (paid). 3)Cymera

Or, use cstark27's gcam PX v4.3 --- it's a powerful gcam mod thats made specifically for the pixel phone. This camera allows you to fine tune at a level that you'll not ever find on the app store. If Google camera is a 9/10.. this version is a 12!!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

continua.mente

Apr 6, 2014
Or, use cstark27's gcam PX v4.3 --- it's a powerful gcam mod thats made specifically for the pixel phone. This camera allows you to fine tune at a level that you'll not ever find on the app store. If Google camera is a 9/10.. this version is a 12!!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Can you share your xml config file for cstark27's gcam PX v4.3 GCAM?

bubbyj

Dec 31, 2015
Can you share your xml config file for cstark27's gcam PX v4.3 GCAM?

Hi, i'd like the xml config file for the PX too, if you have one. There are so many parameters in there, it would be nice to have a setting from someone with experience in photography.

The beauty of the PX camera is that it's pretty much plug and play. Without a single change in the lib patcher, it'll capture some amazing shots. This is because it's tuned for the pixel phone out of the box.

The only settings that I've tinkered with are the darken sky and noise.

But unfortunately, my pixel 3a bit the dust a few days ago. Water damage from sweat! Can you believe that sh!t?? I had a case on it, and was talking for over an hour while hiking. The sweat built up inside the case, and the phone began experiencing phantom touches all over the screen. I immediately powered it down. Placed in rice for 48 hours. Blew out with a hairdryer. Powered back on, and had an inoperable screen with rapid phantom touches. Within 5 minutes the screen started glitching out. I could no longer power it down. Nothing worked. And 30 minutes later it went black. Never has worked since.

So it looks like I have a dead Pixel 3a for sell lol. (Don't confuse this for an ad! It's a joke).

Tomar777

Nov 10, 2016
Google Pixel 3a
Without a single change in the lib patcher, it'll capture some amazing shots. This is because it's tuned for the pixel phone out of the box.
The only settings that I've tinkered with are the darken sky and noise.

So you say quality is better than stock google camera out of the box? i think i will give it a try,thanks.
I have no root or magisk but i think this is only needed for the longer shutter nightshots, right?

But unfortunately, my pixel 3a bit the dust a few days ago.Water damage from sweat!

Sorry about that mate... Unbelievable ... Ok cheap phone, no ip rating, but sucking water like a sponge...
Good to know so i dont buy it some beer by accident...

bubbyj

Dec 31, 2015
So you say quality is better than stock google camera out of the box? i think i will give it a try,thanks.
I have no root or magisk but i think this is only needed for the longer shutter nightshots, right?

Sorry about that mate... Unbelievable ... Ok cheap phone, no ip rating, but sucking water like a sponge...
Good to know so i dont buy it some beer by accident...

I can't say with absolute certainty that it's "better" than the stock google camera. What I do know for certain though is that the ability to change and tweak multiple settings, creates a much better environment and gives you the potential to create better shots.

I have three different gcam versions on my phone. I use NGC's build, cstarks 4.5, and GreatnessBuild.

I have drastically different settings for each. NGC is tweaked for Portrait Style photos. Greatness is for high quality HDR shots. And CStark is for general use, but especially for astrophotography.

But let me be clear, I'm not saying that these versions are better for the uses that I use them for. I simply needed three versions, so that I could optimize them for specific uses.

I will say that the cstark 4.3 and 4.5, is absolutely without a doubt the best night sight and astrophotography version I have ever used. I highly recommend it.

But again, as far as any of these versions taking better shots out of the box as compared to the standard factory google camera.. I'm not so sure that they are. The fact is, the pixel 3a takes the best shots I've ever seen. I don't know what you could improve about it. The colors are perfect. Lightning is the best in the game. Fine Detail holds fast at up to 6-7x, and is fairly useable at up to 15-20x. (Another benefit of using some of these custom gcam builds is that it increases maximum zoom past the 7x factory preset. In fact, one goes up to 150x. I've personally taken ultra-long range shots at 30-40x and had them capable of making out exactly what I was looking at.)

I hope this info helps.