Pixel 3a XL - Bestbuy bootloader Unlocked?

Search This thread

jsanta11

Jan 22, 2008
Bayamon
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190606-162253.jpg
    Screenshot_20190606-162253.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 364

mikef2501

Jun 8, 2014
I've never contacted T-Mobile support through Twitter, but I'd like to try asking them to SIM unlock my phone today, for the purpose of enabling the OEM Unlock toggle. How did you guys contact them for this? Did you just DM @TmobileHelp?

For reference, been a T-Mobile customer in good standing for about 6 years. Just acquired a Pixel 3a from a T-Mobile store on monthly payments, and it is SIM-locked and the bootloader is not unlockable. I would try the factory-reset-without-SIM-inserted method, but I'm on call this weekend and probably shouldn't have my phone out of commission like that :/

xRogerxC

Oct 2, 2010
The Seven Seas
I've never contacted T-Mobile support through Twitter, but I'd like to try asking them to SIM unlock my phone today, for the purpose of enabling the OEM Unlock toggle. How did you guys contact them for this? Did you just DM @TmobileHelp?

For reference, been a T-Mobile customer in good standing for about 6 years. Just acquired a Pixel 3a from a T-Mobile store on monthly payments, and it is SIM-locked and the bootloader is not unlockable. I would try the factory-reset-without-SIM-inserted method, but I'm on call this weekend and probably shouldn't have my phone out of commission like that :/
What is this Factory reset method that you speak of?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mikef2501

Jun 8, 2014
What is this Factory reset method that you speak of?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I've read in a few of the threads here in the last few days that people have been able to make the phone bootloader unlockable by removing the SIM and performing a factory wipe, clearing everything (is wiping the cache even a thing at this version of Android?). They then have to set up the phone and give it internet access via WiFi, do a reset, then sometimes the OEM unlockable toggle is available. It still doesn't sound like a sure bet to me, but I've seen a few people mention they have had success with it. Anyone else want to chime in with stories of success/failure with a method like this?

Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: Linux 86

bigmatt503

there is a value to hard inquiries and $400 is too small a loan for a hard inquiry imo.

I wonder if anyone bringing a BB or google 3a to Sprint has had the bootloader toogle switch greyed out after esim activation.
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's actually a credit card for future Google store purchases. I bounced back in six weeks from the hard pull and actually picked up a few points for the new account. This is on myfico.com not credit karma

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Hi,

Anyone with the Best-buy Unlocked version can confirm if the bootloader is Unlocked? Perviously only the Verizon version was available with Bootloader locked, now with this models looks like all the devices will be bootloader unlockeable.

Thanks,

I can confirm my bootloader is unlocked. Got the best buy unlocked model.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Per google all pixels are sold at carriers, except Verizon, are the same exact one sold from google store. They only include a sim for the carrier. Meaning they are sim unlocked, bootloader unlockable et ESIM ready. Verizon even on Pixel 3a had the ESIM removed or disabled. again. Do not buy from Verizon.
Best buy Unlocked, B&H video....are OK I will find out as soon as I pick mine from tmobile and will update this post.

This is not true, my friend picked up a pixel 3 xl from T-Mobile and it's simlocked and the bootloader lock is linked to the simlock status.

Veiran

Feb 14, 2015

Two months late, but for anybody who's curious: I am a former T-Mobile customer (currently with Verizon) and was able to successfully unlock the SIM and the bootloader itself is unlockable now (the toggle is no longer greyed out). They ask for your login info for your account and the IMEI of the phone itself. If the phone and account meet the requirements (be in good standing, etc) then they'll direct you to download the T-Mobile Device Unlock app. At that point, it's a simple matter of selecting Permanent Unlock and going through it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the phone is both SIM and bootloader unlocked so that I am using it on Verizon Wireless.

Last edited:

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
I can confirm my bootloader is unlocked. Got the best buy unlocked model.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

This is not true, my friend picked up a pixel 3 xl from T-Mobile and it's simlocked and the bootloader lock is linked to the simlock status.

Mine came from Sprint, bootloader locked. Even with the new phone, and a regular sim still bootloader locked. This was even before I installed the actual sim card.

oneprimedroid

Sep 13, 2019
Galveston
boot loader

I just got a new Pixel 3a XL from t-mobile a couple of days ago and the first thing I did was unlock the boot loader and flash android 10. I had/have no problems with it.
I just followed android source web portal on using adb and fast boot for boot unlock and firmware upgrade..

I would like to ask those who say they are bootlocked if there phone has the SIM card number printed on the box?
mine did so that seems to indicate that the phone came from google with sim installed .
if it doesn't then maybe T-mobile installed the sim before shipping and in turn locked it?

Anyway, Its been awhile since I had a android phone, since the dohnut, gingerbread days and of course Cyanogenmod what a
bummer that news was...
Just starting to get back into dev and building. I do how ever miss my old Nexus 6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess a better question would be what pixel 3a XL have an unlocked bootloader? I am interested in buying one from t-mobile. I would assume the one sold at the google store has an unlocked bootloader.

Thanks for any information.

I bought the unlocked Pixel 3a XL at Best Buy today. The OEM unlock toggle in developer options is not greyed out. The bootloader is unlockable....
    So...confirmation is had.

I talked to TForce late last week to try and get carrier-sim-lock removed. They said they'd see what they could do, but the devices weren't fully in their systems yet.

Just tried unlocking the carrier lock again this morning (through the unlock app), and it worked.

I enabled OEM unlocking, rebooted to fastboot and just successfully unlocked my T-Mobile Pixel 3a XL. This specific device was purchased for an account that has been in good standing with T-Mobile for over a decade. The device was purchased on EIP using an S8+ for the $400 credit. No other payments were made/have been made to this point.

So this is confirmation that once the SIM-Lock has been removed, the T-Mobile Pixel 3a XL devices can be OEM unlocked.
    Nobody really cares about the SIM unlock. If I go to T-Mobile and buy a phone and get a contract with them I don't care if it stays on T-Mobile service, I want the bootloader unlocked so that I can run custom roms, custom kernel etc.

If the bootloader is unlocked then the updates are irrelevant. You can flash whatever the hell ROM you want on the thing.

I'm still rocking a Google Nexus 6 on the newest version of Android Pie, both AT&T and Google quit supporting this phone couple years ago. I never ran ROMS from AT&T or even Google, I always ran AOSP.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I touched on all of that...My point was to say that after the sim unlock was completed that the OEM unlock will no longer be greyed out which is one of the questions in this thread a lot of people were wondering about and as I pointed out was already verified above my post. Everyone knows if the bootloader is unlocked that updates are irrelevant, which I also brought up saying that was my next step. But the main point of my post was to steer others towards a truly unlocked phone instead of dealing with the carriers in the first place. BTW...Still have all 3 of my Nexus 6 phones and still play around with them on occasion. Still one of the best! Thought I had seen you around here before.
    Agreed, don't want to deal with carrier crap buy unlocked and skip the hassle. Fi is 100 off plus 20 for new joins and none of he BS. Bootloader, unlocked. Tethering= it's your data, burn it however you want. Going overseas, hell's to the yeah, your data is still fully working. Or just buy it from Goog or another source and throw a SIM in it. Vote with your wallet.
    Just got off the phone and since my dad is retired military they did it no problem! Can confirm once your phone is unlocked through the app, the bootloader can be unlocked!