Pixel 3a XL Bootloop after enabling modules in Android 11

Search This thread

scyther3989

Apr 21, 2011
Hello!

I installed the new Android 11 stable and everything went well. I installed OTA and was able to flash a modified boot.img for root. I then wanted to re-enable the modules I turned off for the update. That's when I got stuck in a boot loop. I'm not sure the correct procedure for re-enabling the modules but immediately after restarting to let the modules take effect I ran into a boot loop.

To remedy this I tried re-flashing the modified boot image, which always leads to a boot loop.
I have also tried the "adb shell magisk --remove-modules" command during the boot loop but that immediately brings me to the fastboot screen with the reason "Invalid boot slot" and then it stays there until I flash another boot.img.
I've tried unpacking and repacking a magisk_patched.img with both the Pixel 3a XL's "core only" and "remove modules" but those lead to a fastboot error where it doesn't like the image and won't boot from it.
If I flash the stock Android 11 boot.img the phone boots up fine but doesn't have root obviously. I am also using the newest (30.0.4) version of android platform tools.

I was wondering if anyone else had some insight as to what I'm doing wrong or where to go from here?
Thank you in advance

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
Google Pixel 3a XL
Hello!

I installed the new Android 11 stable and everything went well. I installed OTA and was able to flash a modified boot.img for root. I then wanted to re-enable the modules I turned off for the update. That's when I got stuck in a boot loop. I'm not sure the correct procedure for re-enabling the modules but immediately after restarting to let the modules take effect I ran into a boot loop.

To remedy this I tried re-flashing the modified boot image, which always leads to a boot loop.
I have also tried the "adb shell magisk --remove-modules" command during the boot loop but that immediately brings me to the fastboot screen with the reason "Invalid boot slot" and then it stays there until I flash another boot.img.
I've tried unpacking and repacking a magisk_patched.img with both the Pixel 3a XL's "core only" and "remove modules" but those lead to a fastboot error where it doesn't like the image and won't boot from it.
If I flash the stock Android 11 boot.img the phone boots up fine but doesn't have root obviously. I am also using the newest (30.0.4) version of android platform tools.

I was wondering if anyone else had some insight as to what I'm doing wrong or where to go from here?
Thank you in advance

Sounds like an incomparable magisk module. You need to isolate which module is the problem and leave it disabled or look for an updated version

scyther3989

Apr 21, 2011
I think it's in the themes forum here but they're is a magisk module disabler. They're are also other utilities to do so.

The only things I've seen for Module disablers are...
the adb shell magisk module disable
the patched "core only" and "module remover" repacked boot images
magisk uninstaller that requires a recovery to run it

I've tried the first two and I can't find a TWRP that works with a Pixel 3a XL running Android 11.

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
Google Pixel 3a XL
The only things I've seen for Module disablers are...
the adb shell magisk module disable
the patched "core only" and "module remover" repacked boot images
magisk uninstaller that requires a recovery to run it

I've tried the first two and I can't find a TWRP that works with a Pixel 3a XL running Android 11.

And you won't find one. Twrp only works on Android 9 or older. Starting with 10 the partitions are dynamic and to date twrp can't handle them at all. Since we haven't had a working twrp in over a year i wouldn't get my hopes up.

scyther3989

Apr 21, 2011
And you won't find one. Twrp only works on Android 9 or older. Starting with 10 the partitions are dynamic and to date twrp can't handle them at all. Since we haven't had a working twrp in over a year i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yeah I'm hoping for some kind of insight on how to disable modules without root or maybe some new patch I haven't tried.

scyther3989

Apr 21, 2011
Try booting into safe mode, this is supposed to disable all modules. When you boot back into regular mode they should still be disabled and you can delete or update the bad one.

Sent from my SM-T860 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Wow this actually worked!!

For anyone having a similiar issue:
I flashed the magisk_patched.img from Android 11 and let it go back into it's bootloop
As soon as the booting animation started I pressed volume UP and volume DOWN and it booted into safe mode
I restarted once I successfully made it into safe mode
The modules causing the bootloop were disabled and I am now able to have root in Android 11

Thank you @rifraf1