Pixel 3a XL feels much slower on Android 11 compared to Android 10, how to solve?

nl1010

Mar 28, 2008
I use a Pixel 3a XL for some time now. (got also a new replacement phone 1,5 month ago, so fully fresh)
It was working very good and responsive with Android 9, even better with Android 10.
But after the update to Android 11, everything feels much slower, lag in apps, starting apps etc.
I already did a full wipe, factory reset, a few times, but this doesn't help.
How to make the phone (1,5 month old) feels as good as it was with Android 10 again?
I know that I can flash a custom ROM, but if possible I want to keep the original ROM.
Thanks already for the tips and tricks.

alvin612

Apr 17, 2011
Granted my days of flashing ROMs and tinkering with Android are well gone, I heated that performance is indeed less than ideal on Android 11, especially compared with 10. So I clean flashed official 10 and installed Elemental X kernel and magisk. Security patch is out of date, but the phone is smooth and stable, with exceptional battery life, def better than stock 10, not to mention 11.
Just my experience. YMMV.

DriveEuro

Aug 31, 2010
I had pretty much the same problem updating 10 to 11. I flashed 2 monthlies and 11 was noticeably laggier and slower than 10. I was thinking I was going to have to buy a new phone. I first tried to do a full wipe and flash from scratch and that resolved it. It was a night and day difference. Been 2 or 3 weeks now since I did that and I'd venture to say that its about the same speed/responsiveness now as it was on 10.

gdroid666

Feb 23, 2016
Is anyone seeing performance restored to Android 10 level now that Dec 2020 udpate is out?
no this phone is a POS and it is still horribly broken
after android 11 update
i have experienced multiple multiple issues that make this phone completely worthless and totally unusable to me since updating

including but not limited to

2)texting photos not working ,text goes though but if a photo is attached nothing goes thorugh(TMO) ,

3)visual voice mail not working in phone app(TMO)

4)using volume rocker in any way stops all sound and crashes app or stops phone from ringing , once i touch volume rocker in either direction all sound stops

5)trusted voice unlock not working, option not available

6)smart lock trusted device not working , relocks phone after a couple minutes ,tried multiple bluetooth devices make no difference phone always relocks

7)android auto automatically launches at random for no reason

8) android auto auto launch setting problem, add car bluetooth to auto launch android auto
exit settings , go back to settings, no devices listed for autolaunch , automatically deletes all auto launch devices

9) screen is not able to be used during a call in progress
screen blinks on and off while trying to use the screen during a call

10) Android auto in completely broken and unuseable now

11) google assistant is completely broken and unuseable now
says it can not reach google ,(on LTE with full bars or with wifi on on and LTE)
or it just pulls up a list of suggested things to say no matter what you try to do
or if it does register what you say it is so far off it's ridiculous , ,example: "hey google turn of the bedroom light" , registers as "jennifer" and it either does nothing or results in a google search
not able to be used for navigation, or smarthome control at all in any ways because of aforementioned issues

this phone is a piece of trash ,android 11 is a garbage fire
and Google is a criminal enterprise who refuse to honor warranties
my phone is less that 2 weeks old , bought brand new at big box store and google refuses to honor the warranty and replace my phone
i do not not what this POS, i would at least like to get a new phone running Pie

My dad has the exact same phone on the exact same carrier (T-mobile) and has not updated and i don't think he is experiencing most of these issues, probably issues with assistant auto but he never uses it so i can't really say

all i can say is that google engages in criminal behavior , they pulled the same BS with my nexus 6p's , they sold me 2 defective phones and then refused to honor the warranty with 8 months left on the warranty, i called literally hundreds of times and never got anywhere
only years later did i ever get any resolution , $200 from a class action suit for each phone when i paid over $600 for each phone had to wait almost 5 years and only got less than 1/3 of my money back not to mention all the wasted time and aggravation of dealing with these slippery slimy criminals and their games denying me my warranty

Last edited:

gdroid666

Feb 23, 2016
I use a Pixel 3a XL for some time now. (got also a new replacement phone 1,5 month ago, so fully fresh)
It was working very good and responsive with Android 9, even better with Android 10.
But after the update to Android 11, everything feels much slower, lag in apps, starting apps etc.
I already did a full wipe, factory reset, a few times, but this doesn't help.
How to make the phone (1,5 month old) feels as good as it was with Android 10 again?
I know that I can flash a custom ROM, but if possible I want to keep the original ROM.
Thanks already for the tips and tricks.
where did you buy your phone? how did you get google to honor the warranty? does your uncle work at Nintendo or something?
i had 3 google phones they refused to honor warranty on every single one of them even tough phones were nearly brand new in mint condition(not that they ever even asked or that ever got far enough along in the process where that would be relevant) with many many months left on the warranty ,

nl1010

Mar 28, 2008
where did you buy your phone? how did you get google to honor the warranty? does your uncle work at Nintendo or something?
i had 3 google phones they refused to honor warranty on every single one of them even tough phones were nearly brand new in mint condition(not that they ever even asked or that ever got far enough along in the process where that would be relevant) with many many months left on the warranty ,
I bought my phone at Belsimpel in The Netherlands. They imported the Pixel phones, because they are not sold here officially.
After my complaints, they send my phone to Google NL, they replaced my phone without any problem.

Sometime before this Pixel I had a Pixel 2 XL, also with issues, this phone I bought at Saturn in Kleve, Germany, just over the border. I got in contact myself with Google, and I also got a brand new phone without any problem.
So maybe I was lucky...

gdroid666

Feb 23, 2016
I bought my phone at Belsimpel in The Netherlands. They imported the Pixel phones, because they are not sold here officially.
After my complaints, they send my phone to Google NL, they replaced my phone without any problem.

Sometime before this Pixel I had a Pixel 2 XL, also with issues, this phone I bought at Saturn in Kleve, Germany, just over the border. I got in contact myself with Google, and I also got a brand new phone without any problem.
So maybe I was lucky...
oh ok ,i am in the US so maybe it's the region that makes the difference
because in the states you have a better chance of hitting the lottery and being struck by lightning on the same day than getting them to honor their warranties

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
I've noticed that over the past months now, my 3a XL is not performing as it used to. There's definitely more "jank" and stutterings and sputterings that didn't used to be there. Had it since December 2019 and been pleased with it since. But of late it's one thing or the other.
For example, the camera app takes eons to come on, laggy when i switch modes. There's just very noticeable lag in all areas when generally using the phone. A restart helps a bit, before it goes back to laggy-ness.
A bit disappointed at this pure Android device acting this way.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Not noticing much degradation here. Maybe occasional stutter (when say opening Play Store to check for available updates), but I can't remember when it didn't to that.

Even the overnight battery consumption (which was bad for a while, reported by many) has now dropped to around 0.5%/hr after something (?) got updated. I have always chosen to manually set as many apps as practical to Restricted background use. I also don't force close any apps (e.g. Greenify them) unless I suspect they're giving trouble, only Clearing them all from the multitasking pane before I go to sleep. Adaptive battery is on. Stock. Unrooted.

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
for everyone in here complaining about battery and stuttering issues I would suggest you try loading up MVK kernel

Screenshot_20210208-075601.png
Screenshot_20210208-075546.png

Last edited: