• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pixel 3xl cannot update it

Search This thread

eldode

Jan 24, 2012
my phone was rooted and i was using custom rom
i want to back full stock and lock bootloader
when i do that and flash stock image on both slots
it boots normally and work but when i update it through OTA it give me update installation problem
if i join Q beta program it download the package and istall it but when it reboot it gives me cannot find a valid OS
thanks god i didnot lock OEM other wise i could not flash any thing
i return back to custom rom till i find a solution to become full working stock
do you have any solution
TIA

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Dont flash on both slots, download factory image and just run flash all but remove this line, -W or leave it if you want clean slate. when you clean install factory image slot a is image and slot b is image_other, is not a full image, unless of course google do it different to android one, i've not touched my pixel 3 xl yet but i assume its the same. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

eldode

Jan 24, 2012
Dont flash on both slots, download factory image and just run flash all but remove this line, -W or leave it if you want clean slate. when you clean install factory image slot a is image and slot b is image_other, is not a full image, unless of course google do it different to android one, i've not touched my pixel 3 xl yet but i assume its the same. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

could you please elaborate
or just write me the required steps
thanks for help

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
could you please elaborate
or just write me the required steps
thanks for help

Download the factory image for your phone
toggle oem in dev options
boot to bootloader
unlock flashing
extract factory image to the same folder with your adb tools or direct the adb tool to the folder in command prompt(windows)
if you want to keep your data edit the flash_all.bat and remove -W otherwise just run flash_all.bat
If succeeded all the partition will be correct and ota will work, ota only ever goes wrong when flashing the main system image on both slots. From what i can gather the system_other image is whats needed for seemless ota and always gets flashed on slot b while the the phone is set to active slot a, this give the ota the desired state for installing, after this it will swap between slots on each ota
Correct me if im wrong anyone.

eldode

Jan 24, 2012
Download the factory image for your phone
toggle oem in dev options
boot to bootloader
unlock flashing
extract factory image to the same folder with your adb tools or direct the adb tool to the folder in command prompt(windows)
if you want to keep your data edit the flash_all.bat and remove -W otherwise just run flash_all.bat
If succeeded all the partition will be correct and ota will work, ota only ever goes wrong when flashing the main system image on both slots. From what i can gather the system_other image is whats needed for seemless ota and always gets flashed on slot b while the the phone is set to active slot a, this give the ota the desired state for installing, after this it will swap between slots on each ota
Correct me if im wrong anyone.

i followed your steps
but when i try to update fro june to july it give me installation error
but when i opt in android Q beta 5 it works normally
i donot know the difference and why pie fail while Q succeeded

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
i followed your steps
but when i try to update fro june to july it give me installation error
but when i opt in android Q beta 5 it works normally
i donot know the difference and why pie fail while Q succeeded
Fastboot flash the very latest full P image (July) and let it wipe your data. Flashing the stock image without editing the flash-all script will restore your phone to the "out of the box" state.

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Fastboot flash the very latest full P image (July) and let it wipe your data. Flashing the stock image without editing the flash-all script will restore your phone to the "out of the box" state.

It could be the Q beta opt in, if youve opted in for Q beta it could be looking for the Q ota to install, do what this guy said and flash the lates july image, on every ota just manually adb sideload it. Leave your oem toggle enabled, its safer while doing lots of flashing.

Last edited: