• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pixel 3XL Ram Management problem

Search This thread

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
Okay so the phone is great let me start there and virtually no lag or studder when using most apps again all. But I did notice today while using Google Maps, Pokemon Go, and Facebook messenger that switching between the apps there was a major system hang and a slow down. Also after having a bunch of apps open it ****s Pokemon go down completely from running in the background and even though it shows it's still open in the recents, when I go back to it, it starts up again like I just opened the app and reloaded it. Has anyone else noticed this issue? And if so is this something that could be fixed with an update or is this just bad ram management for 4gb of ram on this phone?

Xaiux

Nov 6, 2014
Pokemon Go is a terribly optimized heavy resource game, it reloads after using almost anything else on my Pixel 2

One thing I've noticed for some apps, if you have it battery optimized, it will do that. YouTube Music for me would. I would be in the car, stop and go in a gas station or whatever, come back out and it would startup like it just opened for the first time. Turned off optimization and hasn't done it since. But yeah, watch out for some games. Some are resource hogs.

wtharp2

Aug 7, 2004
Dallas
Okay so the phone is great let me start there and virtually no lag or studder when using most apps again all. But I did notice today while using Google Maps, Pokemon Go, and Facebook messenger that switching between the apps there was a major system hang and a slow down. Also after having a bunch of apps open it ****s Pokemon go down completely from running in the background and even though it shows it's still open in the recents, when I go back to it, it starts up again like I just opened the app and reloaded it. Has anyone else noticed this issue? And if so is this something that could be fixed with an update or is this just bad ram management for 4gb of ram on this phone?

This was happening to me on my Pixel 2 XL, and I thought it was a RAM management issue. Turns out it was battery optimization. I turned off battery optimization and PoGo stopped closing in the background. I did this for a couple of other programs I didn't want aggressively closed. It seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: tj_f

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
This was happening to me on my Pixel 2 XL, and I thought it was a RAM management issue. Turns out it was battery optimization. I turned off battery optimization and PoGo stopped closing in the background. I did this for a couple of other programs I didn't want aggressively closed. It seems to have done the trick.
So turning off adaptive battery helps you're saying?

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
Not exactly. Select the apps and make sure they are not optimized. Everything else on your phone should stay optimized.

Actually I restarted my phone after I did the changes and now it seems to be working? I'll test it through out the day but if that's all it was you're a life saver my friend. Thank you

theycallmerayj

Aug 11, 2010
I saw someone in the comments of an article say there is way to fix this with root. Is there a magisk mod that helps with this?

jrac86

Feb 23, 2009
More and more reports are coming up regarding this issue - playing music in the background and then using the camera, etc.

I have experienced it when using Smart AudioBook Player playing in the background and have google maps navigation running. All of a sudden, the audio bookstops playing. I have to switch to the audiobook and restart playback. It then happens again and when I restart the audiobook a second time, google maps' navigation gets closed out. I think google needs to issue a software update for their RAM management.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

ridobe

More and more reports are coming up regarding this issue - playing music in the background and then using the camera, etc.

I have experienced it when using Smart AudioBook Player playing in the background and have google maps navigation running. All of a sudden, the audio bookstops playing. I have to switch to the audiobook and restart playback. It then happens again and when I restart the audiobook a second time, google maps' navigation gets closed out. I think google needs to issue a software update for their RAM management.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/how-to/apps-closing-t3857299/post77946888

In addition to that @topjohnwu has stated:

Just checked the code, it seems that the configurations are read only once when it started. If kernel devs wants to tune LMK, they would either have to: a. Modify /system/bin/lmkd to allow runtime changes b. Use resetprop to modify those read-only props, and restart lmkd https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1054409086626861056

Sent from my crosshatch using XDA Labs

razor237

Jan 10, 2012
There is defiantly some ram issues, i have been using a few music apps that keep getting killed when im doing other things. im sitting at over 3gb of usage almost 700mb more usage then my pixel 2 xl with the same apps i use. Im sure it will be fixed just not sure it will be done with in my return window and since i got it from vzw i wont have the luxury of flashing better optimized kernels . sucks having issues like this but i think all my pixel nexus phones had some odd issues for the first few weeks/months

Reactions: galaxys

sunNsnow

Dec 16, 2009
I noticed the RAM problem while using Amazon Music and Zombie's Run! The music would stop during the first song while the Run app still runs. It really sucks to have to stop my workout to make the music start. My 2XL never had this issue.

I'm on the fence. For this amount of money, I should be happy with it, not annoyed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Furthermore I think people are taking this a tad too far I have had the device since Friday and can't speak anything but great things and look forward to developing on it in the coming days
    Ram isn't a problem for me but I will be implementing simple lmk in FrankenKernel ,for those with issues it's probably just aggressive .. Should not be a huge deal going forward..

Sultan- https://github.com/sultanxda/androi...mmit/cd8c0ff4eba3310ffa016e1bd29b4b0bcd7baff5

So turning off adaptive battery helps you're saying?

Not exactly. Select the apps and make sure they are not optimized. Everything else on your phone should stay optimized.