• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pixel 4 vs Pixel 5 light sensor (Adaptive Brightness)

Search This thread

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Hi

I noticed that my Pixel 5, barely changes the brightness in low to medium light. (unlike my previous Pixel 4).

It changes the brightness when the light changes are big. Like jumping from a dark room, to a bright room.
But doesn't change the brightness when changes are small. Like, a dim room in the morning vs a dim room in the night. (scenarios like from 1% to 35%~ ).

So today I compared both light sensors and the Pixel 5 has different values. Then I opened "DevCheck", went to Sensors, then LIGHT and I started rotating both phones together and the Pixel 4 changes constantly but the Pixel 5 it just jumps abruptly (see below screenshots).

Is anybody having similar behavior with Adaptive Brightness?
Is your sensor behaving also like mine?

Pixel 4:
wuyfnFY.png

Pixel 5:
D10eZUW.png

Edit: I also noticed that the Pixel 4 in a dark room reaches 0.0X (and different values between 0.0X and 1.0X) while the Pixel 5 in the same dark room reaches 1.0X.

I hope this is not a faulty sensor in my device. (So I don't have to go through RMA).

Thanks!

Last edited:

pemz82

Feb 11, 2014
Mine also does this, although I havn't noticed too much of a change only coming from a Pixel 2XL.

Is it a limitation due to where the light sensor is placed?I'm assuming it's under the display (near the proximity sensor).

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I believe this is just another contra of having the stuff under the display.

However, maybe Google just needs to improve the drivers to make it work better in dark rooms.

Personally my issue is that when I need 1% brightness, phone is still like at 20%-30% brightness and vice versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tr0uF

Andywhite321

Nov 26, 2015
I don't think mine responds at all. Coming from a pixel 2xl which seemed loads better. Also my auto rotate has stopped working. Google are sending out a replacement, not good for a 2 week old phone. I'll see how the new one lasts but I'm already thinking about getting a refund and trying something else :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe this is just another contra of having the stuff under the display.

However, maybe Google just needs to improve the drivers to make it work better in dark rooms.

Personally my issue is that when I need 1% brightness, phone is still like at 20%-30% brightness and vice versa.