Pixel 4 XL Unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

Kool19

Oct 24, 2019
I just unlocked the bootloader on my shiny new Pixel 4 XL. It is the Verizon variant as it was purchased directly from Verizon themselves. I'm unsure whether this is a coincidence, whether Google is no longer offering cell phone service providers a locked bootloader option, or did I just get lucky. The steps I took are...

1: Removed the pre-installed sim card
2: Went through the set-up process via Wi-Fi
3: Immediately turned on Developer options
4: Turned on OEM Unlock
5: Used the "fastboot flashing unlock" command via ADB/Fastboot

Normally the OEM unlock option would be greyed out as it was on my original Pixel XL that I also bought through Verizon but was able to use DePixel to unlock, then flash the Google Factory Image, the bootloader. I was then able to re-lock the bootloader for security and mobile payment reasons while retaining the "OEM unlock" option in the developer settings. I will now attempt to do the same thing when Google releases the Factory Image for the Pixel 4 XL.

It also could be because I removed the sim card before the phone had the opportunity to activate.

I am interested whether anyone else has been able to do this.

BTW: Model# G020J

Last edited:

KillerBytes

Aug 11, 2013
Pittsburgh
I just unlocked the bootloader on my shiny new Pixel 4 XL. It is the Verizon variant as it was purchased directly from Verizon themselves. I'm unsure whether this is a coincidence, whether Google is no longer offering cell phone service providers a locked bootloader option, or did I just get lucky. The steps I took are...

Normally the OEM unlock option would be greyed out as it was on my original Pixel XL that I also bought through Verizon but was able to use DePixel to unlock, then flash the Google Factory Image, the bootloader. I was then able to re-lock the bootloader for security and mobile payment reasons while retaining the "OEM unlock" option in the developer settings. I will now attempt to do the same thing when Google releases the Factory Image for the Pixel 4 XL.

It also could be because I removed the sim card before the phone had the opportunity to activate.

Did this just now on my AT&T Pixel 4 XL 128GB. Nada... Screw this; I'm returning this.

Who-Lep

• Apr 7, 2012

What is DePixel?

Kool19

Oct 24, 2019
    DePixel8

What is DePixel?
    It was software that would unlock the bootloader of the Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL that had the bootloader locked to Verizon. The catch was it only worked on Android 7.1.0 I believe. It was patched shortly after so if you updated your device, no luck.

Reactions: Who-Lep

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
    I am hoping I am in the same boat. I couldn't pass up getting 450 for a pixel xl so I bought the verizon variant it's coming Monday. I have seen where this has worked in the past with the pixel 2. Here is hoping the toggle gets grayed out when it's sees your on verizon's network. I plan on removing sim booting up and getting to developer options taking the least path of resistance and then trying to unlock. If I am successful I will report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

got mine from vzw and was able to unlock bootloader as well, removed sim before turning on, set up phone on wifi and check oem unlocking in dev settings before popping in sim card
      DePixel8

What is DePixel?
      It was software that would unlock the bootloader of the Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL that had the bootloader locked to Verizon. The catch was it only worked on Android 7.1.0 I believe. It was patched shortly after so if you updated your device, no luck.