Pixel 4a stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

bendingunit15

Apr 23, 2021
I have a pixel 4a with stock rom and recovery that is boot looping after an update. The device has a couple pictures I would like to recover and I was hoping I could use adb to pull those files from the device. The device does have a passcode that I know and and I am able to boot into resuce mode and run "abd devices", and it shows the device in rescue.

When I try to run, "adb shell ls, I get "error:closed"

I tried abd pull "/sdcard/DCIM" and received, "adb: error: connect failed: closed"

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
I think these are the steps:

When your phone is off
- Press your phone's power button.
- When the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until theanimation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
- You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.

Edit: Important: Safe mode removes some Home screen widgets.

Last edited:

bendingunit15

Apr 23, 2021
I think these are the steps:

When your phone is off
- Press your phone's power button.
- When the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until theanimation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
- You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.
I found that as well and just tried it a dozen times and I never get any safe mode idication at the bottom the screen. I only get a Google logo with a progress bar that never finishes.

bendingunit15

Apr 23, 2021
What version of android did the phone have, and what type of update did it try to do? (And OS Upgrade, or a security update)
Its running Android 11
It shows 11/RQ2A.210305.006/7119741 in recovery mode. It would have been up update pushed just before 4/4/21. I think it was security updates but I do not know how to verify that. My other Pixel 4a phone updated last around that same time and shows 11/RQ2A.210405.210305.005

bendingunit15

Apr 23, 2021
So I was able to get into fast boot and use the flash utility provided by Google and Google chrome to detect the device, but when I try to flash it with sunfish i get an error about "oem unlocking" but I will have to dig further tomorrow. Hoping that I can get it to do something.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
That error might be because your bootloader is locked, so it can't flash a new boot image to it.

The only way I know to unlock it is from the developer options in the settings, but that would require the phone to be able to bootup.