• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pixel 4xl stuck on 50% . Switches off randomly and has a battery symbol with a (?).

Search This thread

SignumOne

Jan 11, 2012
Szczecin
Yes, I sent my Pixel to an authorized Google partner PSC. You are right that the lack of parts can be caused by COVID19 nevertheless, since it is a factory defect, they should replace the phone for me. Every day there are several people who have the same problem. Is it not enough that the phone is not stolen!? It remains for me to wait patiently, I do not know how long i have to wait for my device.

Last edited:

aunni

Nov 23, 2012
I had the same issue early last month, and had to revert back to my Pixel 2. A week later, suddenly, it came back on randomly, and equally randomly, went back to the battery question after 3 days. The phone isnt sold in India due to the Soli chip, I had bought it in Singapore. I gave up on the phone (no way to get the phone to Singapore these days). Three weeks back, my 7 year old knocked it off the table. It had the fabric case on it, landed on a corner, and turned on! Its been working since... Seems like a physical battery connect issue. No idea if and when it will reoccur.

adamd1976

May 9, 2011
Salisbury
Hi,

I've been using Pixel 4XL since the release day. The first phone developed the 50% battery fault and started switching off randomly when in the pocket after a month and half. The phone was replaced under the warranty directly by Google. The annoying thing is that Google don't replace the phones with brand new handsets but with refurbs... other than that the replacement process is very smooth.
The second device lasted a whole month and developed an identical issue. It was once again replaced by Google for another refurb.
Another few months down the line the third phone developed exactly the same issue again...
This time I went back to my provider and said I don't want another Pixel replacement as they all seem to suffer from the same manufacturing fault and requested a return. They agreed to take the phone back and I will be able to chose another device. I'm not going back to Google phones any time soon.
From what I gathered on other forums the problem is a faulty battery connector that simply crumbles...

Adam

Reactions: flash713

ivomin

Nov 25, 2016
Maybe I will help all those who are looking for a solution on their own. There is a problem with the battery connection to the motherboard. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...ly_turning/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Wysłane z mojego Pixel 4 XL przy użyciu Tapatalka

I bet this is because of the way people take it out of their pockets. The fact that applying pressure around the socket from outside temporary fixes it, means that pressure is transferred to the battery connector from outside easely. I myself noticed several times that when I'm taking it out of my pocket I squeeze with two fingers the down part of the phone and sometimes when I'm holding it I naturally hold it with more force on the downside just because I'm used that the only thing there is the relatively safe to pressure battery(compared to the scheme).
I wonder however does having a hard case will protect it more or it's just a really brittle plastic there. Jerry seems to unsnap it pretty easily and there is a metal bracket over it. Looking closely at the bracket however you can notice that there is some kind of bridge on the bracket that's over the connector and it seems to be inclined toward the upper screw, in that sense it seems that the bracket is not applying pressure equally to the whole connector but only on one side of it, so maybe that's the problem.... but that's just some kind of analysis done on 2D image video so I may be totally wrong :D.

To add to that it seems the issue is consistent to people who have it in the first place - so It may have some truth to that.....

Last edited:

garin0215

Jun 16, 2020
cracked battery side connector.

The issue to the 50% battery problem is the battery connector. I recently broke my screen and had it repaired. Upon disassembly we noticed that the battery connector on the battery side was fractured. This happens when the phone is dropped. The shock of the drop cracks the connector. The connector is too brittle and cracks when the phone is dropped.

I replaced the battery and the percentage went back to normal. It's the cracked connector that's causing this.

herb9876

Dec 9, 2016
Ya so I had this same issue and I bought a battery from ifixit and replaced the original and it fixed the entire problem . Battery isn't cheap but it works if you know your way around phones and feel comfortable popping the back off and the 6,429 screws in this thing .

mlass

Jan 2, 2007
DFW
Just pulled my XL 4 apart and found the battery connector seperated from the ribbon cable of the battery after several times pressing the G logo and it finally quit an went dead. Now to figure out how to get the connector out of the connector of the board. So for anyone trying it, press on the right side of the logo.

alwynjoshy

May 28, 2014
Chicago
The issue to the 50% battery problem is the battery connector. I recently broke my screen and had it repaired. Upon disassembly we noticed that the battery connector on the battery side was fractured. This happens when the phone is dropped. The shock of the drop cracks the connector. The connector is too brittle and cracks when the phone is dropped.

I replaced the battery and the percentage went back to normal. It's the cracked connector that's causing this.

yes , True .i got the same issue after i dropped the phone

qwikphix

Dec 31, 2010
Mine had this issue. I fixed it myself. If you feel like investing in a phone repair kit it might save you a few bucks, especially if you're out of warranty like me. There are videos on youtube that will tell you how to open the phone up from the back. Once inside there are #4 torx screws holding down a plastic and metal bracket that keeps the battery ribbon cable jack plugged in. Remove these screws, but keep track of where they go because they are all different sizes. Where the bracket presses on the back of the battery plug is a thin piece of neoprene. Neoprene can get weakened over time which equates to less holding pressure on the plug. I cut a tiny piece of electrical tape the same size as the neoprene, and attached it to the top of the pad. This increased the profile of the pad just enough to keep the plug secured in the jack. Battery is all good, and back to charging now.

flash713

May 7, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL

I recently purchased a near mint condition 4xl 64gb model. This is good to know. If this ends up being an issue for me I'll either attempt to fix it myself or take it to ubreakwefixit and have them do it. So far so good. Fingers crossed. Lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've actually dealt with this. This is a hardware issue. I had the same problem. Covered by warranty, I took it to ubreakitifix after contacting Google and they took care of me. Trust me this isn't a issue where you can flash this or squeeze that. This is a hardware issue on Google's part. There's nothing you can do as a phone user about a defective battery in a 6+ month old $1000 phone
    Maybe I will help all those who are looking for a solution on their own. There is a problem with the battery connection to the motherboard. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...ly_turning/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Wysłane z mojego Pixel 4 XL przy użyciu Tapatalka
    For 5 weeks my Pixel has been in the authorized repair center in Germany. They don't have parts to fix it. They told me that. It is not known how long this may take. I haven't had such a circus with a good smartphone. I love Google products, but I feel very disappointed because Pixel cost me a lot of money and this is definitely a factory defect.
    Sorry to hear this, and surprising, as Germany is a supported country with many authorized repair centers. Did you send it to PSC? They claim to be Google-certified and have all factory parts? COVID-19 may also be delaying things. Hope things turn out well for you. :good:
    Hi,

I've been using Pixel 4XL since the release day. The first phone developed the 50% battery fault and started switching off randomly when in the pocket after a month and half. The phone was replaced under the warranty directly by Google. The annoying thing is that Google don't replace the phones with brand new handsets but with refurbs... other than that the replacement process is very smooth.
    The second device lasted a whole month and developed an identical issue. It was once again replaced by Google for another refurb.
    Another few months down the line the third phone developed exactly the same issue again...
    This time I went back to my provider and said I don't want another Pixel replacement as they all seem to suffer from the same manufacturing fault and requested a return. They agreed to take the phone back and I will be able to chose another device. I'm not going back to Google phones any time soon.
    From what I gathered on other forums the problem is a faulty battery connector that simply crumbles...

Adam