Pixel 5 Android 12 Developer Preview 3 OTA Sideload failed at 94% and now it says "Can't find valid operating system. The device will not start."

Search This thread

k7nanjappan

Nov 10, 2014
I tried to install Android 12 Developer Preview 3 on my Pixel 5 via OTA Sideload but it failed at 94% with the message 'adb: failed to read command: No error' on cmd and 'Install from ADB completed with status 0' on phone.

After this when I try to boot, I get the following message: 'Can't find valid operating system. The device will not start.' (attached image)

I'm able to access the bootloader but when I tried going into recovery mode through the bootloader, it shows the same message: 'Can't find valid operating system. The device will not start.'

Seems like the recovery is corrupted as well.

Unfortunately I had not enabled OEM unlocking in the developer options before trying to install the Developer Preview, which is now not letting me unlock the bootloader.

Please help me fix the issue or help me find a way to unlock the bootloader without enabling OEM unlock.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Pixel 5 Boot Issue.jpg
    Pixel 5 Boot Issue.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 78

k7nanjappan

Nov 10, 2014
Nothing from my side, since bootloader is locked I can't flash the system image and I can't unlock bootloader because my OEM unlock is turned off in developer settings and the Recovery and Rescue mode are also corrupted.

I contacted Google support and their only solution was to bring it in for service as my device is still under warranty.

tuffgong01

May 4, 2011
NJ
I'm in the same boat here with a Pixel 4a 5G. Got to 94%.
First time I've experienced an issue while sideloading. . .
Contacted google support and they are shipping me a refurbed replacement... disappointed, to say the least.

leddra3k

Dec 7, 2017
**Possible Fix**

I would believe this might be due to the boot_a & boot_b when trying other custom ROMs or OTA updates.

I used the fastboot/ADB files from the lineageOS ROM page and used the command: fastboot flashing unlock

to unlock the bootloader again, this then allowed me to go back into the rescue mode and use googles online image reinstall and got me back onto the stock ROM. Hope this helps some people :) (y)

leddra3k

Dec 7, 2017
**Possible Fix**

I would believe this might be due to the boot_a & boot_b when trying other custom ROMs or OTA updates.

I used the fastboot/ADB files from the lineageOS ROM page and used the command: fastboot flashing unlock

to unlock the bootloader again, this then allowed me to go back into the rescue mode and use googles online image reinstall and got me back onto the stock ROM. Hope this helps some people :) (y)
As an additional this let me get my phone back to loading the custom ROM I was on, to then reenable debugging mode, I then rebooted back into fastboot mode and used Googles online factory restore mode to flash stock ROM back on and I was back up and running :cool:

k7nanjappan

Nov 10, 2014
**Possible Fix**

As I had mentioned earlier: I had NOT enabled OEM unlocking in the developer options before trying to install the Developer Preview.

So this method does not work for me. It will be helpful if I can find a way to force unlock the bootloader somehow.

Thank you for your reply. Hope your method helps someone else resolve their issue.

leddra3k

Dec 7, 2017
As I had mentioned earlier: I had NOT enabled OEM unlocking in the developer options before trying to install the Developer Preview.

So this method does not work for me. It will be helpful if I can find a way to force unlock the bootloader somehow.

Thank you for your reply. Hope your method helps someone else resolve their issue.
This might not work but have you tried plugging the phone into the computer using the pixel online factory recovery and tried the first step of the process which is a prompt to unlock the boatloader?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member

I'm going to state what should be obvious here - you should not attempt to use pre-release firmware with a locked bootloader, because you will ne severely limited on what you can do to recover if something goes wrong.

Unlocking the bootloader is not possible if OEM Unlocking is not enabled.
This might not work but have you tried plugging the phone into the computer using the pixel online factory recovery and tried the first step of the process which is a prompt to unlock the boatloader?
What exactly are you referring to? The Android Flash Tool requires an unlocked bootloader to start with, and does not unlock the bootloader itself.

leddra3k

Dec 7, 2017
I'm going to state what should be obvious here - you should not attempt to use pre-release firmware with a locked bootloader, because you will ne severely limited on what you can do to recover if something goes wrong.

Unlocking the bootloader is not possible if OEM Unlocking is not enabled.

What exactly are you referring to? The Android Flash Tool requires an unlocked bootloader to start with, and does not unlock the bootloader itself.
Are you not aware of the Google online tool for their Pixel phones? https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com/carrier_selection

This has additional flashing options within the 'online' version of fastboot/adb, and found that when trying locally downloaded adb/fastboot it didnt work. But when using the online version it allowed me to unlock the phones boatloader.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Are you not aware of the Google online tool for their Pixel phones? https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com/carrier_selection
I am aware. However, this tool does not function like adb and is not meant for flashing factory images like the Android Flash Tool is. The Pixel Repair Tool works specifically from Rescue Mode.
This has additional flashing options within the 'online' version of fastboot/adb, and found that when trying locally downloaded adb/fastboot it didnt work. But when using the online version it allowed me to unlock the phones boatloader.
It sounds like your Platform Tools may be out of date. Current version is 31.0.3, Aug '21.

Reactions: andybones

Top Liked Posts