Pixel 5 from "Google Emploee". Locked for AT&T and bootloader is unlocked?

Search This thread

worry

Nov 26, 2008
Seattle
Pixel 5 from "Google Emploee". Locked for AT&T and bootloader is unlocked?

I bought a pixel 5 from google emploee, who is saying he got it from google.
It has a sticker on the back with barcode and some numbers and a date of 6/26
Problems are:
1. It is locked for AT&T and does not want to unlock via AT&T website (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/). I got a message from ATT that it is unlocked, but still does not like T-Mobile sim. Any suggestions?
2. It is saying the bootloader is unlocked. Will I have problems with google pay? Can I undo this?
3. How to check this is an actual Pixel 5, not a prototype or something? It says "model Pixel 5" in "About phone"..

Last edited:

bleez99

May 1, 2011
Nvidia Shield
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I bought a pixel 5 from google emploee, who is saying he got it from google.
It has a sticker on the back with barcode and some numbers and a date of 6/26
Problems are:
1. It is locked for AT&T and does not want to unlock via AT&T website (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/). I got a message from ATT that it is unlocked, but still does not like T-Mobile sim. Any suggestions?
2. It is saying the bootloader is unlocked. Will I have problems with google pay? Can I undo this?
3. How to check this is an actual Pixel 5, not a prototype or something? It says "model Pixel 5" in "About phone"..

I can't speak as to the origin of your phone, buy it from someone else, and you're buying someone else's problems.
Unlocked bootloader and carrier unlocked are two distinctly different things.

Carrier unlocked means that you can use the carrier of your choice. Unlocked bootloader lets you flash images to you phone, from entire monthly security updates to a custom kernel, root, and do other fun things. Google Pay will not work with an unlocked bootloader unless you root the phone and hide that from Google using root-based trickery. (Standard Google Firmware)

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked means that it probably is NOT from AT&T. Why you seem to be carrier locked is a mystery to me, but I will tell you something, AT&T is probably the most evil carrier to deal with. My phone was purchased directly from Google, my first act was to unlock the bootloader, root it, then get the phone up and running with T-Mobile. If you don't want to root your phone, have no need for it, whatever, yes, it is possible to relock the bootloader. Be aware that this will wipe your phone clean, and you'll be starting fresh.

Look in the forums or:
https://developers.google.com/android/images

Google has very comprehensive instructions on how to lock/unlock your bootloader, flash factory images, take OTA's etc..
Be aware that if you aren't sure what you are doing, flashing a factory image can also wipe your phone, and you'll be back to square one if you don't backup your stuff.

There are tons of tutorials on this site on this subject, just poke around...

Last edited:

worry

Nov 26, 2008
Seattle
I can't speak as to the origin of your phone, buy it from someone else, and you're buying someone else's problems.
Unlocked bootloader and carrier unlocked are two distinctly different things.

Carrier unlocked means that you can use the carrier of your choice. Unlocked bootloader lets you flash images to you phone, from entire monthly security updates to a custom kernel, root, and do other fun things. Google Pay will not work with an unlocked bootloader unless you root the phone and hide that from Google using root-based trickery. (Standard Google Firmware)

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked means that it probably is NOT from AT&T. Why you seem to be carrier locked is a mystery to me, but I will tell you something, AT&T is probably the most evil carrier to deal with. My phone was purchased directly from Google, my first act was to unlock the bootloader, root it, then get the phone up and running with T-Mobile. If you don't want to root your phone, have no need for it, whatever, yes, it is possible to relock the bootloader. Be aware that this will wipe your phone clean, and you'll be starting fresh.

Look in the forums or:
https://developers.google.com/android/images

Google has very comprehensive instructions on how to lock/unlock your bootloader, flash factory images, take OTA's etc..
Be aware that if you aren't sure what you are doing, flashing a factory image can also wipe your phone, and you'll be back to square one if you don't backup your stuff.

There are tons of tutorials on this site on this subject, just poke around...

Thanks.
Weird part is that If I go to system-> updates I see an update from ATT:
"ATT Redfin RD1A.2008..."
So this is not a "pure" google pixel? It has an ATT image? Can I install the genuine pixel 5 image?

bleez99

May 1, 2011
Nvidia Shield
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You sort of do. If your bootloader is unlocked, and you get yourself decoupled from AT&T, you can grab the latest firmware directly from Google and flast it. There is no difference between the AT&T "model" and the generic Google version in the hardware. I don't know what's AT&T is up to these days but the AT&T versions at least older phones, used to lock down their bootloader and make it impossible to unlock. But if yours is already unlocked you sho6be able to put on Google's firmware and possibly escape from AT&T.

worry

Nov 26, 2008
Seattle
You sort of do. If your bootloader is unlocked, and you get yourself decoupled from AT&T, you can grab the latest firmware directly from Google and flast it. There is no difference between the AT&T "model" and the generic Google version in the hardware. I don't know what's AT&T is up to these days but the AT&T versions at least older phones, used to lock down their bootloader and make it impossible to unlock. But if yours is already unlocked you sho6be able to put on Google's firmware and possibly escape from AT&T.

And what about AT&T lock? Once I have official image, the sim lock would be gone? Or do I need just to flash a modem?

Last edited: