• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Pixel 5 hate thread

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
One place for all the negative comments and feelings about Google and the Pixel 5. And just think, if we keep it civil the mods won't close it. And Pixel fans ... allow detractors to vent. (but not too much)

Pixel 5 almost Sage - Nov 3 - 4 delivery

TokedUp

Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC
So many ppl hating. I dont get it. Im leaving a Samsung phone for the P5 and couldn't be happier. Ppl gonna say the S20fe is a better deal but they forget that they have to deal with the horrible OneUI OS, and short device support for updates among other things. I haven't had a Pixel since the OG and I'm really looking forward to going back to stock Android.

Acreo Aeneas

Mar 17, 2012
Even though I pre-ordered and this is not strictly "hate" per-se. I wish the screen was 6.2" to 6.5" with a 4500 mAh+ battery. Part of me feels the 4080 mAh battery now is not going to give it any better battery life than my 3a XL.

@TokedUp

Samsung promised previously that all phones from the Samsung S10 and beyond is getting 3 years of OS updates and security updates. So the S20 FE should be getting well Android 11, 12, 13, and patches. I also can't stand other UIs other than stock or near-stock. My least favorite was not OneUI but rather Huawei's EMUI.

Last edited:

TokedUp

Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC
@TokedUp

Samsung promised previously that all phones from the Samsung S10 and beyond is getting 3 years of OS updates and security updates. So the S20 FE should be getting well Android 11, 12, 13, and patches. I also can't stand other UIs other than stock or near-stock. My least favorite was not OneUI but rather Huawei's EMUI.[/QUOTE]

Does nothing for me since I have a Note 9 which could easily run Android 11 but will not get the update. I cannot wait to sell this Sammy phone as soon as my P5 comes.

Acreo Aeneas

Mar 17, 2012
I hate that it has 5G, a useless, dangerous technology.

Watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjEwOAs2Kto

Basically, science says it shouldn't be dangerous to your health, but fake science seems to get more views and people buying into it everyday. It's non-ionizing radiation. Also, the frequencies 5G tech uses has been used by many other devices over the last 30 years.

Some tech/devices that have been using 5 GHz...radar dishes, cordless phones (like the ones you used to use at home), WiFi, etc.

Last edited:

pcloadletter1

Jan 4, 2013

Basically, science says it shouldn't be dangerous to your health, but fake science seems to get more views and people buying into it everyday. It's non-ionizing radiation. Also, the frequencies 5G tech uses has been used by many other devices over the last 30 years.

Some tech/devices that have been using 5 GHz...radar dishes, cordless phones (like the ones you used to use at home), WiFi, etc.

5G uses 24 GHz which is a mmWave and has nothing to do with wifi. Higher freq 95 GHz mmWaves are used in weapons. Low power phones shouldn't be dangerous, but the higher power towers could be, but it's too early to tell. It's the reason some countries stopped or prevented 5G deployment.

Besides, 5G is an $100 on the 4a. I would rather have $100 than a tech I can't use.

andyfoster

Jan 21, 2010
Reading
Generally speaking, 'hating' on a product based solely on its published specs is absurd - either the company in question have made a device that you want to buy or they haven't.
However, Google 'made' the only handsets I've owned with stock Android which just worked. After my Nexus 5 screen broke, I bought the HTC One M8 - not cheap, but the specs were everything I could want (at the time). Unfortunately, the software blew chunks. I had a OnePlus X with a near-stock OS - but the software (particularly the camera) was buggier than a buggy thing in a buggy contest.

What I want is-
A google phone (stock Android that just works and has all the latest updates) with decent specs (would have been happy to pay a bit more for flagship CPU, but 765 will be adequate as I'm not paying flagship prices for it),
Ability to fit in my Dainese leather motorcycle jacket pocket (~Pixel 4 or smaller)
Ideally removable storage (uSD slot), or an option to spec 256GB (happy to pay more for storage)
Front facing stereo speakers (don't mind having top and bottom bezels if there's a good reason)
3.5mm headphone socket (I have decent bluetooth earbuds, but not as good as my wired earbuds that fit so much easier in my pocket)
Fingerprint unlock (ideally rear)
Decent battery life
Wireless charging
Video out over USB-C

This list in broadly in order of priority.. Obviously I pre-ordered the Pixel 5 before the launch event finished (or at least before it finished streaming for me - was somewhat laggy), but am disappointed that they left out some of my wants. Also no google watch again.

razor237

Jan 10, 2012
I wish we could get a pixel phone with more flagship specs , I was really hoping for a pixel 5 with a 6.8 or at least a 6.5 inch display. I prefer a big display but i hate all the ****ty uis that you need to deal with to have a phone with a big display .... I really wish there was another option for pure android other then the pixel. My note would be a worlds better phone if it was running pure android and have options to install any Samsung features you may need.

Dont really hate the new Pixel 5 just wish it were a bit bigger and faster

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
I wish we could get a pixel phone with more flagship specs , I was really hoping for a pixel 5 with a 6.8 or at least a 6.5 inch display. I prefer a big display but i hate all the ****ty uis that you need to deal with to have a phone with a big display .... I really wish there was another option for pure android other then the pixel. My note would be a worlds better phone if it was running pure android and have options to install any Samsung features you may need.

Dont really hate the new Pixel 5 just wish it were a bit bigger and faster
Faster for what?

razor237

Jan 10, 2012

Why not ?? lol :) but that really wasn't the point i was going for. Using the better current gen CPU 865G over the 765G would mean a yes faster phone but will allow it to last longer and still perform good a few years from now. that's how i see it so you may not agree but it still would be nice to have seen a bigger screened pixel with the 865G and not the Pixel 4a 5G

They should just team up with Samsung and put out a true fan edition phone that makes android shine in its purest form

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've had this phone for about 2 weeks and here's what I got for ya.

The fingerprint scanner is garbo, like I have to use my pattern 80% of the time bad until I enrolled 2 fingerprints, now it's maybe 60% but I think that's pretty generous. Coming from an op7p the inscreen fp was waay more accurate, might be a hardware fault on my phone but I feel like there's no point in using it most of the time.

Another thing is doing anything with a file manager takes ages, I think this is where sd765 shows its true colors because I can't remember having a phone that was this slow.

Frame drops are fairly common when scrolling or switching apps, and battery life is about the same as my op7p.

Lastly transferring from the onboard storage to the pc is unuseable, but I haven't tried since I updated ex. moving a folder that's larger then 3gb with quite a few files took over an hour to "calculate time to move" before I gave up.

Overall I give the phone a 5/10 but I feel like maybe I'm being a bit nice. I do like the size and the screen is great, im a big fan of the sage color. I like stock android, and the camera is far better than the op, I just feel there's a ton of shortcomings. Maybe I got a particularly bad example though?
    I wish it had the 865 and Wifi 6. Other than that, I'm super stoked. Waiting for my pre-order :)
    The only reason we're here is monthly updates and the next gen software. Oh, and the camera.