• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Pixel 5 sold by 'Visible'

Search This thread

InfX

May 1, 2008
I've just submitted an order to buy Pixel 5 from 'Visible' (a US carrier, Verizon based MVNO), and now i am kinda thinking... i should have asked about it here first. Visible's rep has promised (on chat) their phones are unlocked, so this shouldn't be an issue, but are they carrier-customized in any way or form? Anyone here got any experience? I am sure there is still some time window i can cancel this.

The reason i went on it is because of their "buy it, and get a free wireless charger at activation and a $200 gift card after 2 month of service" (Google it for more details), with a rather attractive plan (in US terms).

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
It's hard to know for sure. Some of the MVNO's have customized firmware on their phones and some don't. From what I've seen their phones are supposed to be unlocked. The only negative I've seen on them is than any streaming you do is only 480P.

InfX

May 1, 2008
It's hard to know for sure. Some of the MVNO's have customized firmware on their phones and some don't. From what I've seen their phones are supposed to be unlocked. The only negative I've seen on them is than any streaming you do is only 480P.
I don't care all that much about streaming, also, if i really, REALLY want to stream something in high res, i can probably VPN from the phone into my home network (or into a commercial VPN server). Anyway, my current check list when the phone arrives is currently - check for SIM lock on both physical SIM and eSIM, check if OEM unlock available and not grayed out (unrelated to SIM locking, but there are some rare reports on this), check if the "gap" isn't too bad, test the proximity sensor, check if there is any carrier bloatware on it. Did i miss any important points/popular issues?

jsbeagle

Aug 8, 2014
Visible is NOT technically an MVNO. It is completely owned and operated by Verizon. I've heard good things from people that use it.
I would guess the phone you receive would be the Verizon variant, but that's completely a guess.

InfX

May 1, 2008
Visible is NOT technically an MVNO. It is completely owned and operated by Verizon. I've heard good things from people that use it.
I would guess the phone you receive would be the Verizon variant, but that's completely a guess.
I hope not, and the order confirmation does explicitly mentions "GA01316-US", which is an unlocked, non-Verizon model.

Is Visible an MVNO? I suppose, despite being owned by Verizon, its still a separate company, which doesn't operate its own mobile towers, so i guess it technically is an MVNO after all.

Anyway, will post here after i receive the device. Would be kinda disappointing if its a Verizon model (i may want to root at some point, not exactly a nice thing to have a bootloader you can't unlock). Would be a showstopper if its SIM-locked or even just eSIM locked, i am going to verify that by putting my old Cricket SIM in before activating theirs, and also loading a Ubigi profile onto an eSIM, and if its locked, and they can't unlock it for me, the device is going back. I've EXPLICITLY asked a rep about this after all.

BTW, judging by a Google search that produces mostly Reddit results, Visible sells mostly unlocked devices (seemingly all of them except Visible-exclusives).

InfX

May 1, 2008
It should not be a Verizon varient, it should be unlocked.
I've already got it, see above. Its not a Verizon variant indeed, and it is unlocked.^H^H^H^H....

I was sure i've posted it here, i've got a device, its a unlocked variant, not Verizon, its fully unlocked (tested on physical SIM and eSIM), and got no carrier bloatware on it.

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I've already got it, see above. Its not a Verizon variant indeed, and it is unlocked.^H^H^H^H....

I was sure i've posted it here, i've got a device, its a unlocked variant, not Verizon, its fully unlocked (tested on physical SIM and eSIM), and got no carrier bloatware on it.

I'm shortly switching to Verizon and I'm taking a look at Visible and Verizon prepaid after seeing your post and talking to my son who's a Verizon engineer, I haven't decided on which though.

benpxda

Nov 7, 2020
I've just submitted an order to buy Pixel 5 from 'Visible' (a US carrier, Verizon based MVNO), and now i am kinda thinking... i should have asked about it here first. Visible's rep has promised (on chat) their phones are unlocked, so this shouldn't be an issue, but are they carrier-customized in any way or form? Anyone here got any experience? I am sure there is still some time window i can cancel this.

The reason i went on it is because of their "buy it, and get a free wireless charger at activation and a $200 gift card after 2 month of service" (Google it for more details), with a rather attractive plan (in US terms).

Actually just registered an account to answer your question. Got a pixel 5 from the "Visible" deal by porting a number in. The model number is identical to the the unlocked one sold from Google store. It bootloader unlockable, so already unlocked and put in magisk and stuff. (It is carrier unlocked as well) Enjoy the deal!

adrienned

Sep 29, 2010
Visible has good offers but the service is no good. At least in my area. I cannot wait to go back to AT&T. Verizon has fast coverage but AT&T is more consistent. I tried it for the $100 promotional credit but I will be going back to my original provider.