Question pixel 5 vs pixel 6 vs pixel 6 pro signal strength

Search This thread

Vio281

May 14, 2020
hi can anyone tell me if the radio in the pixel 6 is stronger than pixel 5? I'm using the unlock version for tmobile. Pixel 5 is ok but would like to know if pixel 6 is better and if the mmwave from pixel 6 pro is worth it.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
(UK based) I've not noticed on 4G the signal showing any better than my Pixel 2 XL, but at a place it would show a low signal my Pixel 2 XL was impossible to use for web browsing, but the Pixel 6, whilst showing the same low signal was useable, not great, but did manage to bring up some web pages, so was able to work better with the rubbish reception.

As for mmWave and is it worth it I will let others answer that question as in the UK its as rare as hens teeth. I think it seems to have only been invented so they could market super fast headline speeds for 5G, and apart from that, has little practical benefit.

Reactions: peterg21 and Vio281

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I have a Pixel 5a still and from my two days driving around I can say that the 5a has better 5G reception than the P6 so far. No mmwave on my P6 - I didn't want to shell out the extra $100 for ATT variant.
(US on ATT).

Reactions: Vio281

mojorisin7178

I don't really see any difference between the pixel 5 and 6 reception. They both are not great. I was hoping 5he January update would improve it some but it just fixed the complete disaster that was December update.
As far as mmwave it is not worth it. The reception on mmwave is so poor and it would cost so much money to deploy. Right now I think it is really only in sports stadiums and malls places where there's alot of people in a small area and also in areas where there is no Verizon FiOS access. Eventually it will grow but I think it's going to be years before it's good enough. They basically have to have a cell tower on every corner and that will take years. And sub 6 5g is basically LTE++

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
For me signal strength on pixel 6 in LTE networks (no 5G for my country) is same as on my colleagues' phones which at work is around -75 dBm. At my home signal is weaker at around -100 dBm but i stay connected to LTE and don't see any missed calls or inability to use internet. Unfortunately i have not measured signal at home with my old phone (oneplus 7) for comparison.

After all modem in Tensor chip is same as in the exynos chipset used in samsung galaxy s20 series. Sure newest qualcomm is better as well as the exynos in the s21 series but our modem should be pretty good when google learn how to adapt their software to it.

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
I don't really see any difference between the pixel 5 and 6 reception. They both are not great. I was hoping 5he January update would improve it some but it just fixed the complete disaster that was December update.
As far as mmwave it is not worth it. The reception on mmwave is so poor and it would cost so much money to deploy. Right now I think it is really only in sports stadiums and malls places where there's alot of people in a small area and also in areas where there is no Verizon FiOS access. Eventually it will grow but I think it's going to be years before it's good enough. They basically have to have a cell tower on every corner and that will take years. And sub 6 5g is basically LTE++
Verizon and AT&T are supposed to go live with C band today (unless you live near an airport). From what I have read, this seems like the only real benefit of 5G. It is supposed to fall between Sub-6 and mm wave for speed and range.

Does anyone know how to tell if I connected to it?

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Whether due to the Jan update or the fact that I disabled 2G on my phone, the signal on my P6 improved significantly. I've never been able to get 5G at my home and now get mid to full signal.
Happy user...

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
I'm on TMobile P6, practically sitting on a tower, right off a major expressway, suburban, about 5 miles from major airport. Using Network Cell app, Playstore, I'm getting 5G about ⅔ of the time, average download speed, 300 Gbps. I'm using Speed Check & FCC for those tests though. The beta speed test in Network Cell is not quite ready for primetime. The rest of the app, is well developed, and been around for many years. Best speed from my previous device, LG V40 thin Q was 4G+ around average 150 mbps download. Signal strength around -92 to -102 for the P6, the LG was around -110.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I noticed (two days side by side usage) Pixel 6 reception far more spotty then iphone 12 Max Pro. US Northeast, Verizon Wireless. Both phone used concurrently. iPhone rock solid compared to Pixel. Even my old Pixel 4a is better than Pixcel 6.

YMMV.
    (UK based) I've not noticed on 4G the signal showing any better than my Pixel 2 XL, but at a place it would show a low signal my Pixel 2 XL was impossible to use for web browsing, but the Pixel 6, whilst showing the same low signal was useable, not great, but did manage to bring up some web pages, so was able to work better with the rubbish reception.

As for mmWave and is it worth it I will let others answer that question as in the UK its as rare as hens teeth. I think it seems to have only been invented so they could market super fast headline speeds for 5G, and apart from that, has little practical benefit.
    I have a Pixel 5a still and from my two days driving around I can say that the 5a has better 5G reception than the P6 so far. No mmwave on my P6 - I didn't want to shell out the extra $100 for ATT variant.
    (US on ATT).
    Whether due to the Jan update or the fact that I disabled 2G on my phone, the signal on my P6 improved significantly. I've never been able to get 5G at my home and now get mid to full signal.
    Happy user...
    Are you a Verizon or AT&T customer by any chance? The were supposed to enable C Band yesterday.