Pixel 5 wi-fi calling on 3UK

Search This thread

stooby

Jan 30, 2006
Yorkshire
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus Nord
Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting a good refurbished Pixel 5, but I would like to know if it's possible to set wi-fi calling preferences on 3UK.

To explain, I live in an area with very spotty cellular coverage so WiFi calling is a must have, but unless I can set the phone to prefer WiFi calling over cellular calling, I have to put my phone into airplane mode in my house because there is just enough cellular signal strength to prevent the phone from automatically using wi-fi for calls. Failure to use airplane mode results in many dropped calls because the signal isn't strong enough to support the call.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

dlb134

Oct 19, 2014
Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting a good refurbished Pixel 5, but I would like to know if it's possible to set wi-fi calling preferences on 3UK.

To explain, I live in an area with very spotty cellular coverage so WiFi calling is a must have, but unless I can set the phone to prefer WiFi calling over cellular calling, I have to put my phone into airplane mode in my house because there is just enough cellular signal strength to prevent the phone from automatically using wi-fi for calls. Failure to use airplane mode results in many dropped calls because the signal isn't strong enough to support the call.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks
Works 🤙

stooby

Jan 30, 2006
Yorkshire
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus Nord
Thanks, but I don't think I explained my question very well.
What I'm wondering is, when you turn wi-fi calling on, is there another setting to prefer calling via wi-fi, or calling via cellular?

Cheers for your help.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Thanks, but I don't think I explained my question very well.
What I'm wondering is, when you turn wi-fi calling on, is there another setting to prefer calling via wi-fi, or calling via cellular?

Cheers for your help.
I know this may not be what you're looking for but it may help..
I am on Pixel 5 Android 12L stock ROM
When turning WIFI Calling on, you get this menu option.
I'm imagining if have WIFI Calling options, then the menus would be the same, being the same phone/firmware.
But I obviously can't confirm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-231817.png
    Screenshot_20220926-231817.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 10

stooby

Jan 30, 2006
Yorkshire
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus Nord
Just a shot in the dark, but changing your default language to US English might work. Here in Canada I had to do that to get "Hold for Me" working
Thanks for the suggestion but I think the availability of the wi-fi calling preferences options are based on the mobile network.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S20FE because it has Bixby Routines, which lets me disable the cellular radios when the phone connects to my home WiFi network. Obviously, this isn't as elegant as allowing me to set a wi-fi calling preference.
The point is that this is a dual SIM phone - I've noticed that it offers wi-fi calling preferences for my O2 UK SIM but not for my 3UK SIM.

I don't think I'm going to get any luck with this unless I change network.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Thanks for the suggestion but I think the availability of the wi-fi calling preferences options are based on the mobile network.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S20FE because it has Bixby Routines, which lets me disable the cellular radios when the phone connects to my home WiFi network. Obviously, this isn't as elegant as allowing me to set a wi-fi calling preference.
The point is that this is a dual SIM phone - I've noticed that it offers wi-fi calling preferences for my O2 UK SIM but not for my 3UK SIM.

Very interesting.

Now I don't use it, I should start looking into it, but I just don't have any uses off the top of my head, like what I foresee could work to your advantage.

Instead of Bixby, why not give tasker a try? It should be able to allow you to do what Bixby does and probably more.
You should def. be able to set up a Tasker "Routine" that allow you to disable the cellular radio when you connect to WIFI network, and maybe even a Tasker for setting the WIFI calling preference?

I wish you the best of luck with everything!

Reactions: xunholyx

stooby

Jan 30, 2006
Yorkshire
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus Nord
Very interesting.

Now I don't use it, I should start looking into it, but I just don't have any uses off the top of my head, like what I foresee could work to your advantage.

Instead of Bixby, why not give tasker a try? It should be able to allow you to do what Bixby does and probably more.
You should def. be able to set up a Tasker "Routine" that allow you to disable the cellular radio when you connect to WIFI network, and maybe even a Tasker for setting the WIFI calling preference?

I actually tried Tasker first (I've used it many times over the years) but it isn't able to toggle Airplane mode without having to either root the phone or grant specific permissions via ADB (each time the phone is rebooted).

In case you are wondering, I have configured Airplane mode to leave WiFi and Bluetooth untouched, so it actually only toggles the cellular radio on and off.

Since Bixby Routines are "baked in" on Galaxy devices, it has no restrictions on setting Airplane mode on/off. Obviously, this solution is only available on Galaxy devices, which is why I'm using this S20FE 5G as my daily driver at the moment.

With any other devices, I have to remember to turn airplane mode on when I'm at home to force wi-fi calling. The problem is that I often forget to turn airplane mode off again when I'm out and about.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I actually tried Tasker first (I've used it many times over the years) but it isn't able to toggle Airplane mode without having to either root the phone or grant specific permissions via ADB (each time the phone is rebooted).

In case you are wondering, I have configured Airplane mode to leave WiFi and Bluetooth untouched, so it actually only toggles the cellular radio on and off.

Since Bixby Routines are "baked in" on Galaxy devices, it has no restrictions on setting Airplane mode on/off. Obviously, this solution is only available on Galaxy devices, which is why I'm using this S20FE 5G as my daily driver at the moment.

With any other devices, I have to remember to turn airplane mode on when I'm at home to force wi-fi calling. The problem is that I often forget to turn airplane mode off again when I'm out and about.

Very interesting.
I'm not familiar with Bixby but it sounds awesome! Great feature.

Reactions: stooby

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shoot sorry, meant to include it in my post I'm sorry. I know I'm in the US, and I'm on AT&T, but I hope it does some helping!
    Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for your help.
    Just a shot in the dark, but changing your default language to US English might work. Here in Canada I had to do that to get "Hold for Me" working

Very interesting.

Very interesting.