• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question PIXEL 5a Stable Build Available

Search This thread

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
I just went back and got caught up on the thread I linked to earlier. It does appear that a wipe is necessary to root after a 5a is on 12. Ugh. But it also appears that it might be possible to do an OTA upgrade and get root without wiping data, which at least would make the upgrade to 12 easier. It seems that if the OTA image is sideloaded (adb sideload) instead of just taken OTA, the update is done and then before reboot the verification/vbmeta and root is done the system will reboot into rooted 12 with data intact. (see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-flash-magisk-on-android-12.4242959/post-85815505) Apparently when a system is upgraded to 12 via the OTA software update, verification is installed before reboot, and after the reboot the verification doesn't allow for removal of verification without a data wipe. The key is to install first, remove verification, root, then - and only then - reboot. Perhaps someone would give that a try...

May 18, 2020
Question?......do you know how to disable 5g and use LTE ....i have this 5g icon at the top and i think its draining battery life

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
Question?......do you know how to disable 5g and use LTE ....i have this 5g icon at the top and i think its draining battery life
Go to Settings/Network & Internet/Mobile Network. Hold your finger on your Mobile Network for a bit then release. The page that is presented will allow you to choose your connection preferences - touch that and your choices will pop up.

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
I edited my last comment so perhaps you didn't see it. Look again. Your phone will do this. The trick is to hold down the Mobile Network Selection enough time - tapping on it may not work.

May 18, 2020
I edited my last comment so perhaps you didn't see it. Look again. Your phone will do this. The trick is to hold down the Mobile Network Selection enough time - tapping on it may not work.
Yea i figured it out....i use code *#*#4636#*#* and changed my network settings to LTE....network is much better now....i ran speedtest and hell turns out LTE is faster than 5G....smh the really sold this 5G Bs.....and we bought it 😂🤦‍♂️

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
Can anybody post or PM me original boot.img from Android 12 beta 5 factory image? Recent Magisk Manager canary update 23010 screwed up my root and MagiskHide as well :(. If someone has a copy of last canary Magisk.apk with MagiskHide (believe it is v. 23001?) I need that as well please. I am out of town with very limited internet and need to get root back. Not having root sucks big time!
Tnank you in advance!

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
You should probably post that on a 12 beta thread like the one I had linked to in post #22 - better chance of finding someone with the beta and canary versions.

Can anybody post or PM me original boot.img from Android 12 beta 5 factory image? Recent Magisk Manager canary update 23010 screwed up my root and MagiskHide as well :(. If someone has a copy of last canary Magisk.apk with MagiskHide (believe it is v. 23001?) I need that as well please. I am out of town with very limited internet and need to get root back. Not having root sucks big time!
Tnank you in advance!
Barbet SP1A.210812.015
Magisk 23001

Be aware that you have to perform a complete uninstall of Magisk from within the app; you cannot simply uninstall it from Android and reinstall the older version, as it will not detect root.

For everyone looking for information on rooting your Barbet, please check the Pixel 5 discussions. The 5a has the same partition configuration as the 5, all the commands are exactly the same, the only difference is you need the 5a specific files.

As has been noted, we currently do not know of a way to retain data post upgrade and re root. It currently seems, for reasons yet unknown, that root on Android 12 can only be accomplished with a clean install or a data wipe.

If you are running the 12 Beta and previously wiped, you should be able to upgrade to the 12 stable release via ADB sideload and reroot without a wipe. However, if you are on Android 11, you currently have two options:

- Take the upgrade, retain data, use temporary root by keeping your /vbmeta and /boot stock, and boot the patched image via fastboot - meaning you lose root if you reboot
- Take the upgrade, wipe data (or perform a clean factory install), gain permanent root.

May 18, 2020
Barbet SP1A.210812.015
Magisk 23001

Be aware that you have to perform a complete uninstall of Magisk from within the app; you cannot simply uninstall it from Android and reinstall the older version, as it will not detect root.

For everyone looking for information on rooting your Barbet, please check the Pixel 5 discussions. The 5a has the same partition configuration as the 5, all the commands are exactly the same, the only difference is you need the 5a specific files.

As has been noted, we currently do not know of a way to retain data post upgrade and re root. It currently seems, for reasons yet unknown, that root on Android 12 can only be accomplished with a clean install or a data wipe.

If you are running the 12 Beta and previously wiped, you should be able to upgrade to the 12 stable release via ADB sideload and reroot without a wipe. However, if you are on Android 11, you currently have two options:

- Take the upgrade, retain data, use temporary root by keeping your /vbmeta and /boot stock, and boot the patched image via fastboot - meaning you lose root if you reboot
- Take the upgrade, wipe data (or perform a clean factory install), gain permanent root.
Thanks for the clarification 🤝

Reactions: V0latyle

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
Barbet SP1A.210812.015
Magisk 23001

Thank you.
But I already got root back. Got a friend to go to my house, turn my PC on and run TeamViewer. Rest was a piece of cake. But yeah, I have read your experienc with Magisk downgrade. Mine was the same but I fixed it by patching boot.img with 23010 and then downgrading to 23001. Didn't have to completely uninstall and clean all Magisk traces. 23001 patched boot do not work anymore once you've gone through update to 23010.
Next when get home going to OTA update to 12 release retaining root and data.

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
No luck with OTA sideload-vbmeta-boot update from 12b5 to 12 retaining data and root, had to wipe data to get the phone load Android. I think I should have flashed vbmeta and boot in bootloader, not in fastboot mode as the instructions say. Oh well... Next time...

No luck with OTA sideload-vbmeta-boot update from 12b5 to 12 retaining data and root, had to wipe data to get the phone load Android. I think I should have flashed vbmeta and boot in bootloader, not in fastboot mode as the instructions say. Oh well... Next time...
If you disable /vbmeta after it was enabled, you have to wipe data. Booting the kernel seems to "lock" the status, so if you disabled vbmeta + wiped, then performed an update but didn't disable vbmeta, and rebooted - you'd have to wipe when you disable it again. So it wouldn't have made a difference, you would have had to wipe anyway.

For future updates, you can update either via OTA sideload or the factory image. DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC UPDATE.

For OTA, you would sideload the OTA, then IMMEDIATELY reboot into bootloader and reflash vbmeta, disabling verity and verification.

For the factory image, you would just perform the usual "fastboot update" but add the same --disable flags as you would for vbmeta.

In both cases, after the update is complete, you can patch and flash the boot image.

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
I know all that and I did exactly what @HumorBaby did in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-flash-magisk-on-android-12.4242959/page-15#post-85815505 and still got the recovery massage for corrupted data. My guess is vbmeta with disable verity and verify did not flash correctly in fastboot mode per his instructions. Should've done it in bootloader mode after sideloded OTA. And I was rooted on 12b5 so verity and verify was disabled before the upgrade to 12 release...

Edit: Just read your instructions and you say after sideloded OTA boot to bootloader for vbmeta and boot flash as I thought too... Not in fastboot mode as per @HumorBaby instructions!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you read this thread you will see how to do it, as done on beta releases. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-flash-magisk-on-android-12.4242959/ It is possible to achieve permanent root on 12 without wiping the personal data but it is a delicate dance. I have not tried it yet but as I understand it the process is to unroot 11 and at least remove Magisk modules, take the 12 update, boot into bootloader and use fastboot to remove boot verification and replace vbmeta.img, then flash patched boot.img, reboot and reinstall magisk. It seems there is a problem with just flashing the new factory image with the wipe option (-w) removed. Instead of fastboot flashing the patched boot.img it is also possible to directly patch the boot.img from Magisk while temporarily booted from the patched boot.img (via fastboot), again after removing the verification checks. It may be critical as to when the 5a is rebooted or not; it needs to have a normal reboot after the OTA upgrade in order to complete the upgrade, then boot to bootloader for fastboot operations. I am going to go back and make instructions for myself before proceeding, and will do a Titanium backup before doing anything else.

Edit: it appears that some have achieved permanent root and still passed the SafetyNet check. IIRC it was done through the OTA upgrade path but I need to check that. If you are willing to wipe your data then just installing the factory image and then doing the fastboot commands it might work but that is not clear. Too many attempts at root and SafetyNet failed while flailing so hard to know right now if there are good alternatives to OTA.
    As I said before, I have not had time to try the upgrade. Also, that thread has multiple conflicting posts which is why I know it will take time to go through and parse out what works and what doesn't. There are posts IIRC where root was achieved with data retained - but exactly how that was accomplished is not clear (or even if that really did happen). Since we have not had our phones for long there shouldn't be too much in data to lose, and there is always Titanium, so I will give it a go when I have time.

One of the things that I would like cleared up is if the way to 12 and root is to stop the OTA upgrade process at some point and remove verification and/or root before continuing, or possibly root fails because it is attempted before the upgrade is complete. IIRC the OTA has at least one reboot involved, with some processing after the reboot (probably fixing the data to be 12-compatible). Clearly if the upgrade can be done while retaining data and then successfully rooted then it must be done in a precise way; the lack of precise explanations of successful roots is very disappointing.

Edit: If it does turn out that data must be wiped every time 12 is rooted then that means backing up and restoring will be needed for each update, as well as unroot/root, and possibly removing verification each time. That would be a huge PITA. Let's hope that isn't so.
    The factory images are up on Google's developer site, and when I tickled the system update found the 12 upgrade. I'm downloading the factory image now (for rooting with Magisk) then will upgrade to 12. Then more to learn...
    The factory images are up on Google's developer site, and when I tickled the system update found the 12 upgrade. I'm downloading the factory image now (for rooting with Magisk) then will upgrade to 12. Then more to learn...
    Attempted the upgrade last night, seems there's some new things required if you want to flash the modified boot image and successfully boot. I believe you need to wipe the data partition and also pass along a few flags during install. However, temp root is an option if you want to avoid that for now (I did) by simply booting the image in fastboot vs flashing it. Just FYI!

Edit. Sounds like SafetyNet won't pass yet if you do end up going the permanent route? I could be wrong but I believe that's what's I've read. I just checked on mine and the temporary boot image does seem to so that's good.
    Barbet SP1A.210812.015
    Magisk 23001

Thanks for the clarification 🤝