General Pixel 6 and 6 Pro get out-of-cycle November update to improve the fingerprint sensor

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
how do i get the folder? do i paste the ota file to a folder?
  1. Extract the latest Google Platform Tools (i.e. into a folder called Platform Tools).
  2. Put what you want to flash in the same folder as the Platform Tools (download the firmware and/or OTA zip there).
  3. In Windows, Shift Right-Click when you're in the Platform Tools folder to open Command Prompt (not PowerShell, they're different - you can adapt commands to use in PowerShell, but just simpler to use Command Prompt to begin with).
  4. Use ADB and Fastboot in this Command Prompt.

nomisunrider

Feb 25, 2011
Minnesota
I'm using an unlocked/international 6 pro running SD1A.210817.036 on Verizon. Do I need to sideload the verizon OTA of this newest version or will my phone magically see an update eventually?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm using an unlocked/international 6 pro running SD1A.210817.036 on Verizon. Do I need to sideload the verizon OTA of this newest version or will my phone magically see an update eventually?
It should see the OTA eventually - there are others who already received the OTA while using an unlocked P6P on Verizon. Not bootloader unlocked or rooted, correct? If so, you'll have to sideload the Verizon OTA.

Either way, you can sideload the Verizon (or regular) OTA whenever you want if you don't feel like waiting.

nomisunrider

Feb 25, 2011
Minnesota
It should see the OTA eventually - there are others who already received the OTA while using an unlocked P6P on Verizon. Not bootloader unlocked or rooted, correct? If so, you'll have to sideload the Verizon OTA.

Either way, you can sideload the Verizon (or regular) OTA whenever you want if you don't feel like waiting.

Can you clarify; others received the update using an unlocked p6p on verizon and they were running SD1A.210817.036 or they were running SD1A.210817.036.A8 (VZW variant)?

If I'll get the update automagically, then i'm not going to bother with ADB.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Can you clarify; others received the update using an unlocked p6p on verizon and they were running SD1A.210817.036 or they were running SD1A.210817.036.A8 (VZW variant)?

If I'll get the update automagically, then i'm not going to bother with ADB.

I side loaded SD1A.210817.036.A8 when I got my phone. When the FPR update came out I pulled the update instantly after hitting check for updates. It pulled the VZ version. Google purchased unlocked running on VZ.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I haven't noticed a difference, but some have said battery life has also improved? I'll be monitoring that very closely...
Had you set up your FP again after the november patch? (the .036 one). My guess: You have not set up your FP correctly. For me, it's a night and day difference, easily double the speed. Hard to believe that you don't "noticed a difference".

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Had you set up your FP again after the november patch? (the .036 one). My guess: You have not set up your FP correctly. For me, it's a night and day difference, easily double the speed. Hard to believe that you don't "noticed a difference".
No, I haven't done anything with my FP after the patch.

Double the speed? It was always fine for me, as I don't have any experience with other phones using a front FPS that I can tie anything to. I literally went from a 2XL to a 6P, so hard for me to know what's good in terms of speed and responsiveness.

I know having a dedicated sensor on the back is better, but even on the first day of using this new phone it was hard to judge anything right away. Unless I go back to an old build I can't compare much.

Sorry to give you any doubt about my experience lol

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
finally, it's not the wrong thread lol.
Applying a patch to read large addresses has nothing to do with the Pixel 6 Pro, applying updates, or anyone's issue in this thread. If it does have something to do with it, you're going to have to explain as there's no obvious tie-in.

Your first sentence about using Command Prompt instead of PowerShell is relevant, although it's already been repeated, if not here, then in other similar threads. There's just no obvious connection between that and the patch you link to. I'm not saying there isn't a connection, however, even if there was, suggesting users patch official Google's Platform Tools executables instead of switching to Command Prompt is irresponsible. No one should have to run third-party patches on the officially supplied tools to get the job done. Again, I'm not saying it wouldn't make it work, but a bit like smashing a gnat with a bulldozer.

On top of everything, every time new Platform Tools are required to get the job done (IMHO, anyone using ADB or FastBoot should always check for updates and use the latest tools), they'd have to re-patch them.

I hope you understand my point.

Top Liked Posts