General Pixel 6 and 6 Pro get out-of-cycle November update to improve the fingerprint sensor

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Could someone please tell me how can I tell if my phone is locked or unlocked?

Do you mean that you're not sure if you bought an unlocked Pixel 6 Pro, or do you mean you're not sure if you unlocked the bootloader of your phone?

Your receipt for your phone should mention whether you bought the Unlocked, Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile variant.

If you're not sure if you unlocked the bootloader, then more than likely you haven't since it takes several manual steps.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I just sideloaded the OTA and holy heck, the FP is now fast o.o

If I place my entire finger on the scanner, it unlocks almost immediately. And if it reads the sides or the tip, it's about ~60% faster.

Very good.

It now has about the same speed that my P2 XL/ 3 had (backside FP).

Not sure why Google didn't notice this themselves (don't they test their phones??) earlier, but I'm fine with a fix now^^

Since someone here on XDA claimed that the update deactivated FP in apps (security because FP system changed), that didn't happen to me. My banking app still recognize my Fingerprint, so no manual login there necessary.

Last edited:

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
It seems, us Europeans are not getting it until december.

how to we sideload the update? please help. I am a noob
In theory it's very simple, but it takes a bit of knowledge, you need to install ADB and know how to get into Android recovery mode, plus you will have to use Windows CMD (shift right-click into the ADB folder, that way the command prompt will be able to use the OTA that you place inside without you needing to write any folder hierarchy).

If you follow the guide step by step, nothing can happen. IF.

I'll link the two pages you require, but don't take a risk if you are uncertain. They will roll it out in two weeks anyway.

Sideloading guide

OTA file - you need RAVEN -> 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021)

Last edited:

clipdawg05

Nov 20, 2014
In theory it's very simple, but it takes a bit of knowledge, you need to install ADB and know how to get into Android recovery mode. If you follow the guide step by step, nothing can happen. IF.

I'll link the two pages you require, but don't take a risk if you are uncertain. They will roll it out in two weeks anyway.

Sideloading guide

OTA file - you need RAVEN -> 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021)

Thank you. I plan to root in the future so might as well start learning now.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

kevinireland11

Apr 10, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21
Google Pixel 7
Do you mean that you're not sure if you bought an unlocked Pixel 6 Pro, or do you mean you're not sure if you unlocked the bootloader of your phone?

Your receipt for your phone should mention whether you bought the Unlocked, Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile variant.

If you're not sure if you unlocked the bootloader, then more than likely you haven't since it takes several manual steps.
In Ireland, bought from o2 store but I have EE aim inside

kickassdave

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro
IMO the whole thing with the FPS was overblown. I never had an issue with it and it was certainly better than the one in my LG V60. I bet if Samsung had this same FPS performance, there wouldn't be any complaints.
Nah.... My old OnePlus device had an in screen sensor and it was WAY quicker and consistent than my P6P... And this was years ago
Not good enough IMO and can't wait for an update to fix this (UK and not received update yet.)

Izy

Nah.... My old OnePlus device had an in screen sensor and it was WAY quicker and consistent than my P6P... And this was years ago
Not good enough IMO and can't wait for an update to fix this (UK and not received update yet.)
dude looking at your history the only oneplus you had was a 3/3T thats a front mounted FP reader literally mounted inside the button on the front

not an inscreen know the difference
the Oneplus 6-9 all use inscreen optical like the pro btw
and literally they all have had posts where like 10% have had issues or it was slow initially then got better over time because they actually set it up properly
same with screen protectors

but no one *****ed constantly like they need a reason to its basically people cant work a FP sensor cause they dumb usually with setup

like the mass hysteria these people have on xda/reddit over fp issues on the P6/P6P make other ones users with same issue look tame

fastfreddy101

Jul 28, 2012
Still no update on pixel 6 in Canada.

I had a feeling that a software update would fix the fingerprint sensor. Very grateful they were so quick to fix it. Can't wait to get the update! Hopefully I won't have to wait until December

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
Well, the fingerprint sensor is back to "touch, touch, touch..., enter PIN" It seemed better right after the update, but it may have been a placebo effect.

Also, I think the battery is draining a bit faster now.

Not happy.

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
It's not just the FPS that got faster. I'm noticing other system-wide optimizations that it first glance - might not be obvious. But I noticed them right away. The UX feels slightly zippier, overall.
All that from a 14mb update...? As I noted above, the FPS seemed better for a bit but now it's hit or miss again. The battery life seems to be shorter today without unusual use.

Methinks some are seeing what they want to see.

Reactions: alphasports

kickassdave

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro
dude looking at your history the only oneplus you had was a 3/3T thats a front mounted FP reader literally mounted inside the button on the front

not an inscreen know the difference
the Oneplus 6-9 all use inscreen optical like the pro btw
and literally they all have had posts where like 10% have had issues or it was slow initially then got better over time because they actually set it up properly
same with screen protectors

but no one *****ed constantly like they need a reason to its basically people cant work a FP sensor cause they dumb usually with setup

like the mass hysteria these people have on xda/reddit over fp issues on the P6/P6P make other ones users with same issue look tame
MOD EDIT: Post edited.

I got my phone's mixed up, so bloody what. It was a Xiaomi I had with an in screen reader. Again, YEARS ago. And it was miles faster than this.

This has bugger all to do with knowing how to use it. My Xiaomi, even with dodgy custom ROMs was still faster to read my fingerprint. This one is most definitely a bit buggy.

Why do people get so childishly defensive these days. The Pixel 6 Pro / Google aren't your best friend. People can criticise. What makes your entire statement dumber is the fact Google themselves have released a patch to try to improve it. If it ain't broke ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts