General Pixel 6 and 6 Pro get out-of-cycle November update to improve the fingerprint sensor

Search This thread

phupton

Mar 13, 2006
UK
What alternatives are there at this price point. We're going off topic of this post though.

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
Here's another change I've noticed since updating.

Previously, I never ever saw my carrier details or the WiFi calling option displayed at the top of the phone.

Now, when I pick up the phone, just before unlocking I see my carrier details and WiFi calling scrolling on the top left of the screen.
Odd, because that's the behavior I've had since the first update on Day 1....

mosio

Jan 22, 2009
So my verdict on the update is that the FPR is improved but it's a long way off that of other phones. Android or iPhone.

The bright light is a bit of a paint too in darker places but that will never change as it's down to the tech being used.
It is a pain in the ass, I get you. It was super stealth with P2XL and P4XL. Now it's a f.kin spotlight in your face 😉

Last edited:

phupton

Mar 13, 2006
UK
Update. This is just my opinion ok.

For me, the FPR has got more inaccurate throughout the weekend. I've not rebooted the phone or reset my fingerprints bit it is getting less accurate again.

Disappointing.

I normally operate the phone without the screen being on the whole time so o have turned it back on but that's not really helped neither.

vriship

Apr 7, 2010
I bought an unlocked Pixel 6 off Bestbuy & am now using it in India. Did not get the 037 (currently on 036) update via OTA, tried VPN as well.

Just popped in an inactive AT&T sim i had & now the device was able to identify a pending OTA of 14.56 MB. Awaiting for it to complete installation, will report back once done.

-I did not use any VPN, just connected via my regular WiFi. I couldn't install the OTA via sideload as i don't have a personal windows Laptop to execute the steps.

vriship

Apr 7, 2010
Completed successfully, took more than an hour at the optimizing stage. FP sensor works fine now with the screen protector..

sdbe

Dec 9, 2007
I bought an unlocked Pixel 6 off Bestbuy & am now using it in India. Did not get the 037 (currently on 036) update via OTA, tried VPN as well.

Just popped in an inactive AT&T sim i had & now the device was able to identify a pending OTA of 14.56 MB. Awaiting for it to complete installation, will report back once done.

-I did not use any VPN, just connected via my regular WiFi. I couldn't install the OTA via sideload as i don't have a personal windows Laptop to execute the steps.
Thanks for the suggestion of using an inactive sim card. I am on Verizon in the US and bought an unlocked p6 from Amazon but hadn't received the update. So I tried a Mint sim card (t-mobile network) and it worked.

I guess this means I will never receive any automatic updates. Anyway, the fingerprint function is still the same, not very good.

Maybe I am expecting to much. But with my LG V35 I would take it out of my pocket or pick it up with my finger on the back and by the time I looked at it it was unlocked. I never even had to give it a thought.

sdbe

Dec 9, 2007
Mine was updated to 036 without any sim card. Hopefully the next update will be automatic with a Verizon sim.

fabriflash

Dec 24, 2012
Hello
I have an unlocked Pixel 6 bought from the Google Store but I'm using it abroad. I haven't got the update yet and when I try to sideload it I get the message "can't read oriolexx.zip"
What can I get to get the update? I tried putting a Lycamobile inactive sim and still nothing

mitchst2

Nov 9, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC 10

Hello
I have an unlocked Pixel 6 bought from the Google Store but I'm using it abroad. I haven't got the update yet and when I try to sideload it I get the message "can't read oriolexx.zip"
What can I get to get the update? I tried putting a Lycamobile inactive sim and still nothing
I had the same issue using Windows PowerShell switching to Windows command prompt fixed it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hmmm, looks like I got wrong link. How best can I back out to get phone working again? Its stuck on the Google boot screen.
    Proper OTA sideload should bring you up, this time use the Pixel 6 OTA. As per OTA page (https://developers.google.com/android/ota):

"This page contains full OTA update packages that allow you to restore your Nexus or Pixel device's original factory firmware. You will find these files useful if you have experienced a failure to take an OTA. This has the same effect as flashing the corresponding factory image, but without the need to wipe the device or unlock the bootloader."

So:
    1. Boot to bootloader: hold pwr button + vol dwn button
    2. Boot to recovery: in bootloader select Recovery and press pwr button and plug in your cable
    and then according to OTA instructions:
    3. To access the recovery menu, hold the Power button and press Volume Up once. The recovery text menu will appear.
    4. To enter sideload mode, select the option Apply update from ADB.
    5. Run the following command:

adb devices
    and check that your device shows up with "sideload" next to its name.

6. Run the following command:

adb sideload ota_file.zip
    where ota_file.zip is the name of the file you have downloaded and verified.

7. Once the update finishes, reboot the phone by choosing Reboot system now.
    adb sideload raven-ota-sd1a.210817.037-1543ec70.zip

My phone is a Pixel 6.

It aborted, on the phone too....
    Shouldn't it be "Oriole" for the Pixel 6?
    Im back online with the updated build number. You all are life savers. Thanks for your patience and help.
    You're welcome. We tripled teamed you lol. @Tool Belt @mosio Good job. Now enjoy your functioning FPR. Let us know if it's working as well for you as it is for most of us.
    No news is good news? He's probably updating now and hopefully successfully.
    edit: lol ninja'd
    I think we got him back on the correct path.
    Wondering now with this revelation that most seem to be seeing improvements if I should re-consider keeping hold of the handset. I'm wondering if Google will be able to iron out the majority of niggles through updates in the near future 🤔

No promises but this all feels like any other new Pixel rollout. New hardware with a new OS has always created these kinds of issues. They always seem to iron out most of them by the first of the year.