• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 Auto Brightness

Search This thread

bentastic

Oct 27, 2021
I got my Pixel 6 today and was actually planning to switch from my iPhone 13 Pro. However, the auto brightness seems to bei very very sensitive to me, even If I stay in the same position with same light conditions it changes very hard. Die you think this ist a Bug or is my device defective? Any expierences?

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
It is using what Google call Adaptive brightness, when this was introduced it was hopeless on my Pixel 2 XL, but as they said, if you keep adjusting the brightness it does tend to learn over time, and after severa days on the Pixel 2 it always seemed spot on, and I've not touched the brightness slider in years!

Now on the Pixel 6 (I'm using the Pro) I find the brightness is all over the place again and I keep needing to adjust it all the time. In a dark room it keeps pushing the brightness back up, so I'm hoping the same is true and after a few days it will learn how I like it.

So give it couple of days is my advice, just keep adjusting it.

Reactions: mojorisin7178

palmaholic

Dec 22, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm more worried about the SOT. I haven't heard anything on Pixel 6, but for Pixel 6 Pro, the SOT can range from 3-4 to 6-7 hours. The spread is just too wide to accept!
Any findings elsewhere? Thanks.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Toms guide has some numbers, with the Google Pixel 6 Pro at 7 hours 53 minutes in their testing, see the chart and tests at https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/google-pixel-6-battery-life-tested-we-have-bad-news

I'm not sure how their test script works exactly. If it just loads as many pages as possible a faster phone may churn through more content and so uses more data and power. I.e. is it a real world test or torture test they used?

The phones over 4G appeared to get a couple of hours extra, pointing towards 5G with the Samsung modem perhaps not so well optimised or just not as good at power management as modems from Qualcomm. It could just be a local issue when they tested those devices and 5G signal was not so good or hit a more distant cell. Who knows.

mojorisin7178

Jun 26, 2011
Saint James
It is using what Google call Adaptive brightness, when this was introduced it was hopeless on my Pixel 2 XL, but as they said, if you keep adjusting the brightness it does tend to learn over time, and after severa days on the Pixel 2 it always seemed spot on, and I've not touched the brightness slider in years!

Now on the Pixel 6 (I'm using the Pro) I find the brightness is all over the place again and I keep needing to adjust it all the time. In a dark room it keeps pushing the brightness back up, so I'm hoping the same is true and after a few days it will learn how I like it.

you are exactly right. The only time I have to ajust the brightness is when i get a new pixel for the first few days or after a factory reset. So I belive this is normal behavior. After you have made the ajustments to the way you like it it will learn and do it for you.

86rickard

Oct 29, 2018
I hope this learning this is true because it's driving me mad at the moment. I can be sitting there on the phone and the slightest movement brightens or dims the screen. I'm using the slider but so far not noticed.

rpolito73

Jul 25, 2010
Same issue and they are correct with learning. Just heads up, I believe the sensor is in the camera strip so when you use the phone landscape playing games, be sure not to cover it. They should have an option in game mode later to disable adaptive when playing games.

I think I'm going manual.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.