Question Pixel 6 can't connect to n48 (5g SA)

Search This thread

stans_hands

Sep 30, 2022
Hey, first time posting, long long time lingerer for root guides and troubleshooting.

TL;DR
I have a pixel 6 able to see my private PLMN but attempting to connect will show instant text, "couldn't connect". No logs in my 5g core, no registration attempt.

Background
I'm a masters student working with the open 5g Core (Open5GS) as a hobby. I'm using my laptop and a few VM's to host the core and finally got that set up in June. Since then I've been using SDR to transmit over the air into a small faraday cage. I can successfully transmit, register and assign data bearers for the n78 band using both Pixel 5a and Pixel 6. I'm moving on to try different bands and selected n48 first because I could use this over the air without an FCC license and do some range testing on campus.

Issue
GSM Arena shows that Pixel 6 can do n48
I've verified that the Pixel 6 can decode SIB1 in n48 and see's the test network name "Open5GCore"
Attempt to connect provides no logs in the core using the following radio imp files (Android still using version 12.1)
  • 12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.003.A3, Jul 2022, Verizon, Verizon MVNOs)
  • 12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.004, Jul 2022)
  • 13.0.0 (TP1A.220905.004, Sep 2022)

I'm starting to think that the phone has a carrier block at the software level that I don't have the knowledge to verify.
In the US there aren't any carriers who use n48, maybe some flag hasn't been set true yet via OTA imgs?
FCC branded it for private use, maybe google intentionally blocks the capability?

I attached a logcat capture using "-b radio"
Any help from you guys on the phone side is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Radio_test.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: onslaught86

stans_hands

Sep 30, 2022
This Verizon bothers me, do you have a mobile from Verizon?
If yes, then maybe that could be the root cause.

Cheers
Tom
The idea was to just try all the most up to date radio firmware to try and cheat the phone onto an acceptable PLMN for n48.
It seemed like the phone just ignores my network whether 999 or 001 mcc.
The sanity check was to check if the phone is able to successfully connect to 00101 and 99970 on n78 band.
Success on the 00101 n78
Failure to observe n48 in the network selection menu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, first time posting, long long time lingerer for root guides and troubleshooting.

TL;DR
    I have a pixel 6 able to see my private PLMN but attempting to connect will show instant text, "couldn't connect". No logs in my 5g core, no registration attempt.

Background
    I'm a masters student working with the open 5g Core (Open5GS) as a hobby. I'm using my laptop and a few VM's to host the core and finally got that set up in June. Since then I've been using SDR to transmit over the air into a small faraday cage. I can successfully transmit, register and assign data bearers for the n78 band using both Pixel 5a and Pixel 6. I'm moving on to try different bands and selected n48 first because I could use this over the air without an FCC license and do some range testing on campus.

Issue
    GSM Arena shows that Pixel 6 can do n48
    I've verified that the Pixel 6 can decode SIB1 in n48 and see's the test network name "Open5GCore"
    Attempt to connect provides no logs in the core using the following radio imp files (Android still using version 12.1)
    • 12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.003.A3, Jul 2022, Verizon, Verizon MVNOs)
    • 12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.004, Jul 2022)
    • 13.0.0 (TP1A.220905.004, Sep 2022)

I'm starting to think that the phone has a carrier block at the software level that I don't have the knowledge to verify.
    In the US there aren't any carriers who use n48, maybe some flag hasn't been set true yet via OTA imgs?
    FCC branded it for private use, maybe google intentionally blocks the capability?

I attached a logcat capture using "-b radio"
    Any help from you guys on the phone side is much appreciated.