Question Pixel 6 Contacts Bug

Search This thread

gyurcika

Mar 9, 2014
Google Pixel 6
I also have this problem, sometimes dialed numbers are displayed as Private, even saved contacts.

eSIM by Telekom (Hungary)
Same annoying thing for me. Bought my P6 in Google Store DE, and using it in Hungary with eSIM Telekom HU, but the problem appeared when I used my previous physical Telekom HU SIM.

Checking permissions, deleting cache for related apps didn't help for me.

Fottiros

Oct 18, 2016
I also have Cablenet like the OG poster , however I am 100% certain its device related , perhaps google phone application is causing the issue.

dfkovi

Mar 9, 2022
Hi guys!
I'm also from Hungary and had the same issue on P6. I've noticed if the contactnumber set to "mobile" or "work" the problem doesn't occur! I had some contacts where their phonenumber's type was saved as "Other" (Egyéb) and after the calls they were shown as private number in the call log. I changed them to "mobile" and now they are shown correctly. Hope that works for you as well.

By the way an ideas how the change all the numbers in Google contactlist? :)

Reactions: DNAblue2112

ChrYslerHUN

Dec 4, 2021
Hi guys!
I'm also from Hungary and had the same issue on P6. I've noticed if the contactnumber set to "mobile" or "work" the problem doesn't occur! I had some contacts where their phonenumber's type was saved as "Other" (Egyéb) and after the calls they were shown as private number in the call log. I changed them to "mobile" and now they are shown correctly. Hope that works for you as well.

Hello!
I checked, all the numbers in my wife's Google contacts are set to "mobile" and yet the error comes up. :(

gi.ier

Feb 8, 2022
Same here in Italy.

The problem randomly occurs, and it seems there's no relation between 'mobile' numbers, 'work' numbers or whatever category, and the error.

I also noticed that the contact name turns into 'unknown' even during the phone call.
Also, some calls in history list, turn into 'unknown' even if for days were listed with the name of the contact.

All this is random... I cant notice anything that could lead to a 'rule' for this bug.

Reactions: ChrYslerHUN

polys643

May 26, 2013
Nicosia
Hi good people of XDA, Iam facing a serious issue in the Contacts app of my new Google Pixel 6.

When I call somebody and they answer their phone, the call shows as "Private number" in the Recents tab.

If they do not answer, then the contact name is shown normally, as it should.

Take a look at the screenshot here: https://postimg.cc/jL1yT1NX

All items shown as "Private" are calls that I made and they answered.

I've searched online, but i didn't find anything related to this issue. Am i he only one who is facing it?

Any insights could help a lot.
Any luck? I'm also on Cablenet (CY) and experience the same issue whenever I call someone else on Cablenet and they pick up the phone.

gyurcika

Mar 9, 2014
Google Pixel 6
Same here in Italy.

The problem randomly occurs, and it seems there's no relation between 'mobile' numbers, 'work' numbers or whatever category, and the error.

I also noticed that the contact name turns into 'unknown' even during the phone call.
Also, some calls in history list, turn into 'unknown' even if for days were listed with the name of the contact.

All this is random... I cant notice anything that could lead to a 'rule' for this bug.
Yes, the problem doenst related to the category of the number...

Yeah, after some days I experienced the same... Must be a bug in phone app. :(
I'm on the beta line of Google Phone app, but the problem still persists...

• Sad
Reactions: ChrYslerHUN

polys643

May 26, 2013
Nicosia
Have you had any luck? I just got my pixel 6 and I'm having the same problem.
I called my provider last Thursday and sent them some screenshots. They said they would get back to me this week. Nothing yet.

But I doubt the providers can do anything about this. It seems like a Google issue, most likely the dialer app.

Last edited:

gi.ier

Feb 8, 2022
It seems to be a dialer app + certain providers issue.

I mean, I have the same problem here in Italy. The bug affects the fastweb or wind sim, while tim and vodafone are bug free. But as I read that the bug is noticed in hungary, germany and other countries, I think that it's the google dialer that has difficulties to manage a few networks.

In any case, it's very difficult to solve, as the provider says it's the phone, and google says it's the provider.

polys643

May 26, 2013
Nicosia
Just got a call yesterday from my provider (Cablenet in Cyprus) and, as expected, they said they couldn't find any issue on their side.

Has anyone submitted this as a bug to Google?

gi.ier

Feb 8, 2022
Has anyone submitted this as a bug to Google?
I tried but I'm not sure I did it right. Google answered me to look for a solution in their community forum , but I haven't find any.

So, we have a few providers with the problem: wind and fastweb in Italy, cablenet in Cyprus, Telekom in Hungary.. and I'm missing some others.Have those providers anything in common? I don't think, so I guess it's a bug in the phone app (even beta version)

Fottiros

Oct 18, 2016
My feedback for this is : Even with my previous phone Oneplus8t which was also using "Phone" which is a google application for calling , private numbers also appear. However Its only with Cablenet again. This has to be related to the information sent by the provider , similar to emails , when not accompanied by the proper SPF,DKIM,DMARC certificates , the emails can be rejected by filtering services.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you are on the the Emergency, Lockdown, Power Off... Etc screen, long press on Power Off. It will give you an option to reboot into Safe Mode.

Safe mode disables all of the apps you installed so you can see if it's an app causing the issue.

Just reboot again to get out of safe mode.
    Post it on Reddit r/GooglePixel sub. This can't be unique. I'm thinking carrier related but just a shot in the dark at this point.
    Hi bobby!

Already did, almost 3 weeks ago (link). Unfortunately no reply.
    Hello! We have the same problem. On my wife's phone (Pixel 6), the phone writes private number for outgoing calls. There is no problem with incoming calls. Like Gonik, I tried everything, but nothing helped. :(
    We live in Hungary and our mobile service provider is Telekom.
    Hello! We have the same problem. On my wife's phone (Pixel 6), the phone writes private number for outgoing calls. There is no problem with incoming calls. Like Gonik, I tried everything, but nothing helped. :(
    We live in Hungary and our mobile service provider is Telekom.
    I am relieved that I am not alone! At the same time, I am sorry your wife is going through the same problem.
    Hopefully Google will acknowledge it soon.
    Hi guys!