Question Pixel 6 Contacts Bug

Search This thread

Gonik

Sep 1, 2010
HTC Desire HD
Google Nexus 5
Hi good people of XDA, Iam facing a serious issue in the Contacts app of my new Google Pixel 6.

When I call somebody and they answer their phone, the call shows as "Private number" in the Recents tab.

If they do not answer, then the contact name is shown normally, as it should.

Take a look at the screenshot here: https://postimg.cc/jL1yT1NX

All items shown as "Private" are calls that I made and they answered.

I've searched online, but i didn't find anything related to this issue. Am i he only one who is facing it?

Any insights could help a lot.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hi good people of XDA, Iam facing a serious issue in the Contacts app of my new Google Pixel 6.

When I call somebody and they answer their phone, the call shows as "Private number" in the Recents tab.

If they do not answer, then the contact name is shown normally, as it should.

Take a look at the screenshot here: https://postimg.cc/jL1yT1NX

All items shown as "Private" are calls that I made and they answered.

I've searched online, but i didn't find anything related to this issue. Am i he only one who is facing it?

Any insights could help a lot.
Looks like your carrier is blocking caller ID on outgoing calls or you somehow enabled it on your own. I know with Verizon I can block my number on all calls or on a case by case basis.

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Maybe an app you have is messing things up. Have you tried making a call while in safe mode?

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
When you are on the the Emergency, Lockdown, Power Off... Etc screen, long press on Power Off. It will give you an option to reboot into Safe Mode.

Safe mode disables all of the apps you installed so you can see if it's an app causing the issue.

Just reboot again to get out of safe mode.

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Go to settings > apps > all apps, tap on the 3 dots (upper right) and 'Show system' apps. Then try clearing cache and data for:
- dialer (phone app)
- phone storage
- contacts app
- contacts storage
Then reboot.
Not sure if that will help, but does not do any harm, it will resync all your contacs.

Gonik

Sep 1, 2010
HTC Desire HD
Google Nexus 5
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. I tried both suggestions.

I rebooted in safe mode and tried calling my wife.
The problem persisted.

I tried clearing data and cache for the apps suggested and rebooting the phone.
The problem persisted.

The strange thing while I am calling the phone of the contact is shown in the dialer. As soon as the person I am calling answers the phone their name is replaced and the dialer app shows "Private number" instead.

I am really confused!

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. I tried both suggestions.

I rebooted in safe mode and tried calling my wife.
The problem persisted.

I tried clearing data and cache for the apps suggested and rebooting the phone.
The problem persisted.

The strange thing while I am calling the phone of the contact is shown in the dialer. As soon as the person I am calling answers the phone their name is replaced and the dialer app shows "Private number" instead.

I am really confused!
Post it on Reddit r/GooglePixel sub. This can't be unique. I'm thinking carrier related but just a shot in the dark at this point.

ChrYslerHUN

Dec 4, 2021
Hello! We have the same problem. On my wife's phone (Pixel 6), the phone writes private number for outgoing calls. There is no problem with incoming calls. Like Gonik, I tried everything, but nothing helped. :(
We live in Hungary and our mobile service provider is Telekom.

Reactions: Gonik

Gonik

Sep 1, 2010
HTC Desire HD
Google Nexus 5
Hello! We have the same problem. On my wife's phone (Pixel 6), the phone writes private number for outgoing calls. There is no problem with incoming calls. Like Gonik, I tried everything, but nothing helped. :(
I am relieved that I am not alone! At the same time, I am sorry your wife is going through the same problem.
Hopefully Google will acknowledge it soon.

Reactions: ChrYslerHUN

ChrYslerHUN

Dec 4, 2021
I am relieved that I am not alone! At the same time, I am sorry your wife is going through the same problem.
Hopefully Google will acknowledge it soon.
Thank you! :)
Yes, it would be nice to fix it because the error is pretty frustrating. And on top of that, she got the phone from me as a gift.

stijak

May 6, 2015
Omg, I am not alone. So I bought unlocked phone in USA, and I am using it in Serbia (Europe) on mts network. ChrYslerHUN is in neighboring Hungary, so it could be related to usa/europe differences and European carriers.

But still, I have never seen anything like that, and it is quite frustrating. What does outgoing calls have to do with carriers. Your phone. should know which numbers you dialed, right.

impulse5

Dec 13, 2009
I'm having the exact same issue. Not only me, my wife also has a Pixel 6 and is experiencing the same problem. I've searched in Google but only found a couple of posts in Reddit and this one. Has anyone found a solution for this? It's kind of annoying. I'm from Spain.

ChrYslerHUN

Dec 4, 2021
Happy New Year to Everyone! :)🥂

In the meantime, I installed another dialer application that can also record calls, so the problem is partially resolved, as it shows the called party properly during recordings. Regardless, it would even be nice to have an official fix for the bug.
The dialer application name is: ACR Phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you are on the the Emergency, Lockdown, Power Off... Etc screen, long press on Power Off. It will give you an option to reboot into Safe Mode.

Safe mode disables all of the apps you installed so you can see if it's an app causing the issue.

Just reboot again to get out of safe mode.
    It seems to be a dialer app + certain providers issue.

I mean, I have the same problem here in Italy. The bug affects the fastweb or wind sim, while tim and vodafone are bug free. But as I read that the bug is noticed in hungary, germany and other countries, I think that it's the google dialer that has difficulties to manage a few networks.

In any case, it's very difficult to solve, as the provider says it's the phone, and google says it's the provider.
    Post it on Reddit r/GooglePixel sub. This can't be unique. I'm thinking carrier related but just a shot in the dark at this point.
    Hi bobby!

Already did, almost 3 weeks ago (link). Unfortunately no reply.
    Hi, I have Pixel 6, Android 14 (MTS provider, Serbia). Same problem with showing private number after call on some numbers from contact list. Number are all entered in contacts same as others.

Last week I activated VoLTE from MTS provider app and for now bug is gone.
    All contact they been shown as private number, now is showing right.
    Hope that maybe can help you too.