• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 displays are not brightness monsters

Search This thread

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I was checking this at Best Buy yesterday as compared to my Oneplus 8 Pro and the Pixel is 100% NOT as bright. It looks somewhat comparable though, and it's not a dim nightmare, but you can definitely tell the difference.

I am starting to think this phone isn't worth the 1k I paid for the 256gb model ><.

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Not surprised. Everything with Pixel phones since the first had been, just enough, but never enough to be impressive or on par with the competition. Always just enough to not be destroyed by Pixel fanboys.

Always enough disappointment to keep the fans of competing devices away. But never disappointing enough to lose the fanboys.

And google wonders why no one except Pixel fanboys view their phones as flagship.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I was checking this at Best Buy yesterday as compared to my Oneplus 8 Pro and the Pixel is 100% NOT as bright. It looks somewhat comparable though, and it's not a dim nightmare, but you can definitely tell the difference.

I am starting to think this phone isn't worth the 1k I paid for the 256gb model ><.
I'm actually thinking of buying a OnePlus 8 Pro instead of the Pixel 6 Pro.
Would you be able to share any other observations between the two?

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I'm actually thinking of buying a OnePlus 8 Pro instead of the Pixel 6 Pro.
Would you be able to share any other observations between the two?
I don't have the Pixel yet, but you wouldn't be disappointed with the 8 Pro, and you can get it for like 450 bucks on Swappa now. The camera is also its weakest point, but it's not bad by any means. Speakers sound great, the screen is fantastic, the battery life is awesome. TBH the reason I wanted to move to the Pixel is for the camera but I am not liking what I am seeing so far on these reviews.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
With reviews popping up everywhere, I'm seeing mixed numbers on nits.
Anything from 800 to 1200 but nobody is clarifying how they tested or if auto-brightness' "extra oomph" was tested.

Most numbers are in the low 800's.
I won't give advertising clicks (links) to the reviewers who don't know how to write a proper review.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
Does anyone know anything about this kernel I've been hearing about on past Pixels that can somehow increase max brightness? How did it work and was it stable? With the assumed bootloader unlock that could be a solution for those of us that are used to 1300 nits at max.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know anything about this kernel I've been hearing about on past Pixels that can somehow increase max brightness? How did it work and was it stable? With the assumed bootloader unlock that could be a solution for those of us that are used to 1300 nits at max.
There were two - someone else in this forum a few days ago mentioned CleanSlate. I'm aware of ElementalX, which I used on the Pixel 1, along with two separate companion apps. One for most of the kernel settings, and the other specific for HBM (High Brightness Mode), which included a widget to turn on/off manually, but you could also enable it to automatically turn on when needed.

I know ElementalX was made for and worked with the stock Pixel ROM. I don't know anything about CleanSlate's history, yet, but I've made notes to myself to look into both again every once in a while in hopes they come out for the 6.

Reactions: galaxys and xgerryx

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
There may have been two - someone else in this forum a few days ago mentioned a second one. I'm aware of ElementalX, which I used on the Pixel 1, along with two separate companion apps. One for most of the kernel settings, and the other specific for HBM (High Brightness Mode), which included a widget to turn on/off manually, but you could also enable it to automatically turn on when needed.

Edit: The other kernel mentioned was "CleanSlate".
I am very interested in this and I hope the dev comes over and makes a kernel for it. It's honestly been a long time since I flashed anything like this. The recoveries on the OP phones got pretty unstable around the 7 pro's launch and Android 10 and I haven't used one on my 8 pro at all. Hopefully we have a working TWRP.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
CleanSlate kernel and some others have it for the Pixel 4 XL (and some other Pixels). CleanSlate also has a High Brightness Boost mode, which goes beyond the High Brightness mode. There are 2 accompanying apps to go along with the kernel. Very stable. He has mentioned he is getting a Pixel 6 Pro and will see how easy/hard it is to develop his kernel for this device.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I am very interested in this and I hope the dev comes over and makes a kernel for it. It's honestly been a long time since I flashed anything like this. The recoveries on the OP phones got pretty unstable around the 7 pro's launch and Android 10 and I haven't used one on my 8 pro at all. Hopefully we have a working TWRP.
If you're already aware of this, ignore me, but it became harder and harder or at least unreliable to actually flash TWRP to the Pixel 1, but it was super easy to "fastboot boot twrp.img" - that is, tell it to boot TWRP while connected to a computer. The upside was that your phone was slightly more secure since there was no custom recovery actually on it. The downside is you couldn't use TWRP anytime you like if you weren't able to connect to a PC to do it with.

I had been mostly only using TWRP to flash updated Magisk and kernels, since the kernels would get updated every month along with Android's security updates, so it wasn't too bad for me.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
If you're already aware of this, ignore me, but it became harder and harder or at least unreliable to actually flash TWRP to the Pixel 1, but it was super easy to "fastboot boot twrp.img" - that is, tell it to boot TWRP while connected to a computer. The upside was that your phone was slightly more secure since there was no custom recovery actually on it. The downside is you couldn't use TWRP anytime you like if you weren't able to connect to a PC to do it with.

I had been mostly only using TWRP to flash updated Magisk and kernels, since the kernels would get updated every month along with Android's security updates, so it wasn't too bad for me.
Yeah, TWRP is almost becoming a relic of the past in many ways. I haven't used TWRP since the Nexus days. I just use fastboot to flash Magisk's patched images and kernel managers to flash kernels. Haven't really missed using TWRP at all.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Screen shots from "Techchap" P6P review:

normal max brightness - 670-680, Peak about 1000

1635192514401.png

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX

He says the numbers are for "HDR content" so I'm not sure if he's tested the extra you get for viewing under sunlight.

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah, TWRP is almost becoming a relic of the past in many ways. I haven't used TWRP since the Nexus days. I just use fastboot to flash Magisk's patched images and kernel managers to flash kernels. Haven't really missed using TWRP at all.
Somewhat same & haven't flashed on device, but have fastboot boot the TWRP.img if I needed it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just received mine.
    Test full white screen auto brightness and almost reach 1500nits.
    So far very happy with it.
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.
    Googles high-brightness mode can't be toggled/manually "activated" by hand (except if you root and force that), so most people just max the slider and then make a comparison. That's why there is a lot of confusion concerning the "doesn't get bright enough" - But that's bullshit. It won't work. You need to go into a direct sunlight situation and then and only then the phone will max out. It's hardcoded and is only active when the phone sensors scream "supa bright!!!". It's Googles way to do it and it sorta sucks, but that's how it is.

So if people want to make a brightness comparison, they need to be in a very bright spot to make sure that the Pixel phone will actually max le brightness. If you just max the slider in a room with normal lights, the phone will not go into high brightness mode and your comparison will suck a*ss, because those Samsungs or Apple phones will shine your daylights out.

By the way, what helps Pixel smartphones (at least the P3 and P4 XL that I owned showed that) massively in terms of readability is decent anti-reflective coating/glass. A phone with decent anti-reflective capabilities and 800 nits is much better readable than a phone with 1100 nits and bad anti-reflective capabilities.
    I have 20/20 vision and I can barely stand the brightness with today's phones even in bright sunlight past the half way point on the slider. But I digress.
    I'm with you, have 20/10 vision and light sensitivity so sunglasses anytime I'm outside that's not after dark and have every piece of glass in my car tinted including the windshield so I suppose we are in a slightly different category than most in this thread.
    Checked Pixel 6 Pro today at Bestbuy, felt P6P is not as premium as S21 Ultra. S21 Ultra build quality felt premium to me, the back being matte feels like metal, also S21 ultra screen quality is better (brightness and richness of color etc..).

Check the attached screen comparison pic (both are at 100% brightness).
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.