• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 displays are not brightness monsters

Search This thread
I notice there's a photo here with an issue I noticed straight away with the P6P. The screen isn't as white as the S21U. It's off white most the time and that makes it look inferior to me. Detail is covered up. Photos look blue instead of white. I think/hope this is software driven not to do with the physical screen. I have the new update installed though.

It feels a much cheaper phone although it's a more pleasant phone to use. Helps that the physical weight is better balanced etc.

Cheaping out with no screen protector though... Geeessss Google!

Checked Pixel 6 Pro today at Bestbuy, felt P6P is not as premium as S21 Ultra. S21 Ultra build quality felt premium to me, the back being matte feels like metal, also S21 ultra screen quality is better (brightness and richness of color etc..).

Check the attached screen comparison pic (both are at 100% brightness).
I would not call it brighter. The white is calibrated incorrectly, seems yellow.

Reactions: smallfish82
I don't need to have experience flying drones to see how bright the phone gets. you have no valid argument.
You are a nonce sir. This specific scenario and 30% of difference in sunlight is really important. EOT from my side. Answering: I can imagine somebody buying or not buying a phone due to the maximum screen brightness.

Reactions: shusuke028
Aug 28, 2015
I've just received mine.
Test full white screen auto brightness and almost reach 1500nits.
So far very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 706

Furymaker

Mar 11, 2012
what i wonder more about the screen is why is not to going down as low as 10fps when it was announced as ltpo panel?

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I've just received mine.
That's awesome to hear, I already wondered about this, considering that the Pixel 4 (XL) also had a hidden high-brightness mode that only activated in extreme sunshine situations. I guess a rooted Pixel 6 Pro can easily be forced to max out brightness even in normal situations. One more reason for root.

It's just a shame that most reviewers never bothered to look into this and now most people believe that the Pixel 6 maxes out at 800 nits, which appears to be bogus.

Reactions: Labellecabresse

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
That's awesome to hear, I already wondered about this, considering that the Pixel 4 (XL) also had a hidden high-brightness mode that only activated in extreme sunshine situations. I guess a rooted Pixel 6 Pro can easily be forced to max out brightness even in normal situations. One more reason for root.

It's just a shame that most reviewers never bothered to look into this and now most people believe that the Pixel 6 maxes out at 800 nits, which appears to be bogus.
Google should have put this in their specs. It's no ones fault but their own. This is one of the reasons I cancelled my order, and if I knew this it would have been one less thing pushing me in that direction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just received mine.
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.
    Googles high-brightness mode can't be toggled/manually "activated" by hand (except if you root and force that), so most people just max the slider and then make a comparison. That's why there is a lot of confusion concerning the "doesn't get bright enough" - But that's bullshit. It won't work. You need to go into a direct sunlight situation and then and only then the phone will max out. It's hardcoded and is only active when the phone sensors scream "supa bright!!!". It's Googles way to do it and it sorta sucks, but that's how it is.

So if people want to make a brightness comparison, they need to be in a very bright spot to make sure that the Pixel phone will actually max le brightness. If you just max the slider in a room with normal lights, the phone will not go into high brightness mode and your comparison will suck a*ss, because those Samsungs or Apple phones will shine your daylights out.

By the way, what helps Pixel smartphones (at least the P3 and P4 XL that I owned showed that) massively in terms of readability is decent anti-reflective coating/glass. A phone with decent anti-reflective capabilities and 800 nits is much better readable than a phone with 1100 nits and bad anti-reflective capabilities.
    I have 20/20 vision and I can barely stand the brightness with today's phones even in bright sunlight past the half way point on the slider. But I digress.
    I'm with you, have 20/10 vision and light sensitivity so sunglasses anytime I'm outside that's not after dark and have every piece of glass in my car tinted including the windshield so I suppose we are in a slightly different category than most in this thread.
    Checked Pixel 6 Pro today at Bestbuy, felt P6P is not as premium as S21 Ultra. S21 Ultra build quality felt premium to me, the back being matte feels like metal, also S21 ultra screen quality is better (brightness and richness of color etc..).

Check the attached screen comparison pic (both are at 100% brightness).
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.