• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 displays are not brightness monsters

Search This thread
Aug 28, 2015
Google should have put this in their specs. It's no ones fault but their own. This is one of the reasons I cancelled my order, and if I knew this it would have been one less thing pushing me in that direction.
I think Google should work on auto brightness mode, IMO it's subpar when comparing with iphone or Samsung . I have to root my older pixels in order to fully enjoy the brightness capability of those displays.

Reactions: xgerryx

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
i call bs on this. it is not as bright as my note 20 ultra
Do you have the P6 Pro and forced HBM by manually shining a flashlight into the sensor next to the front cam?

Technically, the P6 Pro can reach (Samsung E5) full-screen peak brightness of 980 nits, and low-APL brightness of 1,508 nits. At least that's what measurements have shown with other phones using E5 that I found. If Google allows that brightness or implemented it in any way, is another question.

Reactions: 94b20gsr

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Do you have the P6 Pro and forced HBM by manually shining a flashlight into the sensor next to the front cam?

Technically, the P6 Pro can reach (Samsung E5) full-screen peak brightness of 980 nits, and low-APL brightness of 1,508 nits. At least that's what measurements have shown with other phones using E5 that I found. If Google allows that brightness or implemented it in any way, is another question.
I shouldnt have to force HBM to compare to my note 20 ultra in normal use

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
high brightness increases subpixel wear off. So burn in can happen faster. Samsung phones do HBM out of the box but then you will have a massive battery drain, your phone will get hot, and you will have burn in sooner than you expect it.. you can trigger HBM if you are rooted.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
A redditor made the observation the measurement used above was LUX and not NIT, and the conversion does not look awesome.

1635363213540.png

I thought one LUX = one NIT but I'll defer to someone actually using maths.

Reactions: xgerryx

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
1635364535910.png

Edit: I wish that were NITS to LUX instead of NITS to Lumens.

Last edited:

cheami

Nov 20, 2011
you guys seriously think the phone magically gets brighter than what tech specs lists it at? plenty of legit reviewers measured in nits that its around 750-800

Morgrain is just spreading fake news on reddit lol

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
1 Nit is approximately equal to 3.426 Lumens.

It's all over the internet.

Tom's Guide measured peak at 842 and max adaptive at 495. And they called the 6 pro the best smartphone for the money.
I think you meant LUX instead of lumens.

I just got off work and spent a few minutes googling the LUX to NITS conversion formula.
1433 LUX = 456 NITS like the Redditor said.

@Labellecabresse have you tested any other phone displays with your meter before?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just received mine.
    Test full white screen auto brightness and almost reach 1500nits.
    So far very happy with it.
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.
    Googles high-brightness mode can't be toggled/manually "activated" by hand (except if you root and force that), so most people just max the slider and then make a comparison. That's why there is a lot of confusion concerning the "doesn't get bright enough" - But that's bullshit. It won't work. You need to go into a direct sunlight situation and then and only then the phone will max out. It's hardcoded and is only active when the phone sensors scream "supa bright!!!". It's Googles way to do it and it sorta sucks, but that's how it is.

So if people want to make a brightness comparison, they need to be in a very bright spot to make sure that the Pixel phone will actually max le brightness. If you just max the slider in a room with normal lights, the phone will not go into high brightness mode and your comparison will suck a*ss, because those Samsungs or Apple phones will shine your daylights out.

By the way, what helps Pixel smartphones (at least the P3 and P4 XL that I owned showed that) massively in terms of readability is decent anti-reflective coating/glass. A phone with decent anti-reflective capabilities and 800 nits is much better readable than a phone with 1100 nits and bad anti-reflective capabilities.
    I have 20/20 vision and I can barely stand the brightness with today's phones even in bright sunlight past the half way point on the slider. But I digress.
    I'm with you, have 20/10 vision and light sensitivity so sunglasses anytime I'm outside that's not after dark and have every piece of glass in my car tinted including the windshield so I suppose we are in a slightly different category than most in this thread.
    Checked Pixel 6 Pro today at Bestbuy, felt P6P is not as premium as S21 Ultra. S21 Ultra build quality felt premium to me, the back being matte feels like metal, also S21 ultra screen quality is better (brightness and richness of color etc..).

Check the attached screen comparison pic (both are at 100% brightness).
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.