• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 displays are not brightness monsters

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Bundles of photos... you really need to spend some time reading to understand these units of measurement not just use conversion charts.

So great, it gets as bright as the sun, but how long until the blue organic led pixels start to fade at this brightness? Is it practical?
Once this happens, the color rendering index is completely skewed. Not a pretty picture.

My N10+ can be use in direct sunlight but I avoid doing it. If I do it's for seconds.
I limit the brightness to 50% or less, manually.
After 2 years of heavy usage there's no degradation noticable using ScreenTest.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes i did.
I reached same numbers with iphone 13 like this gentleman
Thank you. So, our 1433 LUX with flashlight shining on the sensor and auto-brightness turned on will compare with these numbers from that video where he used the same sensor as you.

Then, it seems all of these iPhone models are brighter than Pixel 6 Pro.
Even the regular old iPhone 12 is brighter.
That is unfortunate.
1635431345451.png

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
Yes in HDR iphone are brighter, but i consider that is limited usage. In day to day conditions it's on par with iphone models (except 13 pro which are crazy high in my experience).
The most anoying behaviour is the auto brightness algorithm, i have to constantly cranck UP the slider in order to enjoy the brightness of the panel.

Reactions: 94b20gsr

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
IMO, all these numbers from reviewers regarding anything, whether it's battery, display, etc. is mute. The best thing to do is to test the phone by yourself and see if meets your need or not. For me this is brighter than my last phone i.e. Pixel 3. Moreover, when the sun is out, I prefer to wear my Polarized sun glasses, which already makes the brighter things dim. So in my case, I don't read or watch anything when the sun is directly hitting my phone screen.
Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro is the best phone released by Google in the last 11 years or so. 🙏 ✌️

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Red flag. Try a Google search (US in my case) for "pixel 6 display review"
No direct results only glowing reviews.
More Google search shenanigans... Houston we have a problem. Google search deliberately buries search results they don't like or even deletes Utube vids/accounts.

I did find this.

I would wait a few months or more until the dust settles before considering buying this device.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Try a Google search (US in my case) for "pixel 6 display review"
More Google search shenanigans... Houston we have a problem. Google search deliberately buries search results they don't like or even deletes Utube vids/accounts.
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Reviews of known/big tech sites are the obvious search results for people trying to find information about "pixel 6 review". When I tried your search, my first 10 search results were

TOP STORIES: Engadget blabla review, PCMAG P6 review, Android Police blabla review,

Then tomsguide, pcmag, techradar, slashgear, androidpolice, androidcentral, cnet reviews.

Then five videos pop up (WIRED, Tech Spurt, IKnowReview, ThisIsTechToday, AndroidCentral), all reviews.

So... I'd call that pretty average. That's exactly what I would be looking for.

This "screen" flicker problem that you are referring to, is fresh news and there are only very few tech sites that are aware of this, it's basis from some Reddit discussion is only a couple hours old. I'd doubt that Google deliberately censores this information, it's more likely that the Google Search algorithm is not yet up to date.

--

I just tried out a specific "Google 6 display problems issues"

And my 2 first search results are:

GSMArena:

Some early Pixel 6 buyers report screen issues - GSMArena ...

gizmochina​

Early Pixel 6 series owners are reporting a screen flickering ...

---

So. Again, I'd say the algorithm is not censoring this, it's just not aware that this is important enough to place it at the top of a "review" search.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Reviews of known/big tech sites are the obvious search results for people trying to find information about. When I tried your search, my first 10 search results were

TOP STORIES: Engadget blabla review, PCMAG P6 review, Android Police blabla review,

Then tomsguide, pcmag, techradar, slashgear, androidpolice, androidcentral, cnet.

Then five videos pop up (WIRED, Tech Spurt, IKnowReview, ThisIsTechToday, AndroidCentral)

So... I'd call that pretty average. That's exactly what I would be looking for.
I've followed the Fold series for years.
Always glowing reviews* on release but this soon changes as reality checks in.
Same pattern I'm seeing here... not good.

Cost you nothing to wait and see.

animals-lemming-not_to_following_the_crowd-group_think-independent_thinkers-lemmings-rdln562_low.jpg

*"Both the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro have lovely OLED screens" , Endgadget.com

Last edited:

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I've followed the Fold series for years.
Always glowing reviews on release but this soon changes as reality checks in.
Same pattern I'm seeing here... not good.

Cost you nothing to wait and see.

View attachment 5443599
What do you mean with glowing reviews? Do you mean that when you searched for Samsung Fold informations, you received more critical than positive search results? Are you sure that's not because there are alot of people criticizing the phones and/or you specifically are interested in those critical views and because of that the Google search is tainted by your visited websites and gives you what it thinks you want?

If you want to judge Google search, you need a fresh browser without an account logged in and then try to search for something there, never use your own tainted version that is riddled with background stuff that Google knows about yu.

skimminstones

Feb 7, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Oppo Reno 2
Red flag. Try a Google search (US in my case) for "pixel 6 display review"

I did find this.

I would wait a few months or more until the dust settles before considering buying this device.
Bet you believe man never went to the moon too

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
What do you mean with glowing reviews? Do you mean that when you searched for Samsung Fold informations, you received more critical than positive search results? Are you sure that's not because there are alot of people criticizing the phones and/or you specifically are interested in those critical views and because of that the Google search is tainted by your visited websites and gives you what it thinks you want?

If you want to judge Google search, you need a fresh browser without an account logged in and then try to search for something there, never use your own tainted version that is riddled with background stuff that Google knows about yu.

Meh let's see what you got 1 year from now. The reviews are not impartial... and I'm not surprised.
Lol, "the perfect iPhone rival", I agree with that review statement completely. Unfortunately it's suppose to be an Android.
Google, the most trusted name in disinformation.
Sorry, just not feeling it...

Izy

Lol fold reviews were "glowing"

Literally the first phone was a flop before it got released from reviews and news. so that's some based opinion you have there

The 2nd iteration got great reviews that dropped off due to how bad 1st revision was and 3rd device is also an improvement but old flaws still not fully fixed

buschris

Jan 20, 2011
confirmed. Bright as S***T! much more than the OP9 i tried and even the S21 I tried. Stuck it out with my OP7Pro until today

buschris

Jan 20, 2011
your settings must be wrong, because my blinds me inside the house on high bright. HBM app also is even brighter

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
high brightness increases subpixel wear off. So burn in can happen faster. Samsung phones do HBM out of the box but then you will have a massive battery drain, your phone will get hot, and you will have burn in sooner than you expect it.. you can trigger HBM if you are rooted.
Been on Note 20 Ultra since day it came out, if I am in bright sunlight or under lights it never gets hot or excessive battery drain. Also on the burn in front still nothing after over a year of usage

Izy

Been on Note 20 Ultra since day it came out, if I am in bright sunlight or under lights it never gets hot or excessive battery drain. Also on the burn in front still nothing after over a year of usage
Depends on usage when I bought my note 9 1 year used keyboard and onscreen buttons had burnin replaced screen meanwhile my s2 / s6 / note 9 had no burnin from my daily usage 2-3 years each.

Comes down to usage and UI not screen brightness although that can speed it up.
Basically just avoid white themes and your fine

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

Depends on usage when I bought my note 9 1 year used keyboard and onscreen buttons had burnin replaced screen meanwhile my s2 / s6 / note 9 had no burnin from my daily usage 2-3 years each.

Comes down to usage and UI not screen brightness although that can speed it up.
Basically just avoid white themes and your fine
Best to keep it under 50%.
Using for more than a few seconds in direct sunlight is not a good plan.
Bright themes aren't the best for the display and battery life. The blue pixels die first, red generally last, base theme colors accordingly, use minimal icon packs. Rotate widgets.
Use folders to minimize icons, use apps like One Handed Operation plus, Egde and DigiClock to hide multiple switches/launchers in plain sight.
There are over a dozen hidden switches on this homepage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-184756_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-184756_One UI Home.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just received mine.
    Test full white screen auto brightness and almost reach 1500nits.
    So far very happy with it.
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.
    Googles high-brightness mode can't be toggled/manually "activated" by hand (except if you root and force that), so most people just max the slider and then make a comparison. That's why there is a lot of confusion concerning the "doesn't get bright enough" - But that's bullshit. It won't work. You need to go into a direct sunlight situation and then and only then the phone will max out. It's hardcoded and is only active when the phone sensors scream "supa bright!!!". It's Googles way to do it and it sorta sucks, but that's how it is.

So if people want to make a brightness comparison, they need to be in a very bright spot to make sure that the Pixel phone will actually max le brightness. If you just max the slider in a room with normal lights, the phone will not go into high brightness mode and your comparison will suck a*ss, because those Samsungs or Apple phones will shine your daylights out.

By the way, what helps Pixel smartphones (at least the P3 and P4 XL that I owned showed that) massively in terms of readability is decent anti-reflective coating/glass. A phone with decent anti-reflective capabilities and 800 nits is much better readable than a phone with 1100 nits and bad anti-reflective capabilities.
    I have 20/20 vision and I can barely stand the brightness with today's phones even in bright sunlight past the half way point on the slider. But I digress.
    I'm with you, have 20/10 vision and light sensitivity so sunglasses anytime I'm outside that's not after dark and have every piece of glass in my car tinted including the windshield so I suppose we are in a slightly different category than most in this thread.
    Checked Pixel 6 Pro today at Bestbuy, felt P6P is not as premium as S21 Ultra. S21 Ultra build quality felt premium to me, the back being matte feels like metal, also S21 ultra screen quality is better (brightness and richness of color etc..).

Check the attached screen comparison pic (both are at 100% brightness).
    you can't really tell but it is as bright as my s21u. you can't tell the difference. people who say otherwise are straight lying.