General "Pixel 6 doesn’t actually charge at 30W as Google implies, analysis finds 22W max"

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
9to5Google has released an interesting article. I never noticed this, since I charge my phone slowly overnight with a 5 watt wireless charger. Have you guys also experienced this? Can people here with root can confirm wattage measurements? Especially the decrease overtime?

As it seems, both the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro are affected by this.

Google is notorious for having algorithms that sometime suck and need refinement, just like Adaptive Charging that only likes you when you are a normal human being that wakes up in the morning; if you are a night worker, Google doesn't care about you.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
At this point I'd rather have a broken adaptive charging setting as the culprit. Maybe it's active without people having the toggle on. As far as I know, the "trigger" for adaptive charging is an alarm set in the morning. Would be interesting to know if the people with slow charging problems have any alarms set at all, to rule that out.

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I was going to take the charger back because I had to pay for it and for the most part was no faster than my previous pixel phones, a couple of days ago tried the two chargers side by side, and this time the charger was apparently going to be 30mins faster to fully charge, nothing scientific rather looking at time till full on lock screen.
And as you mention in the evenings charges super slowly, so no point having a charger that I had to pay for.
The has been plenty of people saying that their phone never fully charges, and my guess also is no alarm set

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

ThugEsquire

Jun 4, 2010
I'm having similar issues with wireless charging so I think this is probably part of a bigger problem with the phone, and probably why they haven't put out the new pixel stand yet. It could really tank the launch if they released it today and the phone still has all these problems and can't charge at the advertised 23 Watts.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
At this point I'd rather have a broken adaptive charging setting as the culprit. Maybe it's active without people having the toggle on. As far as I know, the "trigger" for adaptive charging is an alarm set in the morning. Would be interesting to know if the people with slow charging problems have any alarms set at all, to rule that out.
No, I've no alarms set

louie875

Jun 1, 2012
I have watched my device charge using a smart plug that measures wattage and I've never seen mine go over 26 watts.

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Mine was charging at 27.4W (fluctuating between 25W-27.4W, I'm assuming because I had the display on) using Google's 30W power brick. My battery was at 71%, I'm going to try it when the battery is lower to see if I can get 30W.

The article says it doesn't go over 22W, that's already false in my case.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-002045.png
    Screenshot_20211106-002045.png
    279 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: bobby janow

spr33

Jan 10, 2007
Staffordshire
Mine was charging at 27.4W (fluctuating between 25W-27.4W, I'm assuming because I had the display on) using Google's 30W power brick. My battery was at 71%, I'm going to try it when the battery is lower to see if I can get 30W.

The article says it doesn't go over 22W, that's already false in my case.
Not sure how you're getting 27.4w there? 30w is approximately 6000mah current draw, no?

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Not sure how you're getting 27.4w there? 30w is approximately 6000mah current draw, no?
It depends on the voltage. The specifications of the power brick say that at 5V and 9V it outputs 3A of current.

You can see from the screenshot I posted that the phone was pulling 3.076A @27.4W.

P=VI, so V=P/I

V=27.4W/3.076A=8.91V

It seems pretty spot on to me.

Attached the specifications of the power brick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-012719.png
    Screenshot_20211106-012719.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 148

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9to5Google has released an interesting article. I never noticed this, since I charge my phone slowly overnight with a 5 watt wireless charger. Have you guys also experienced this? Can people here with root can confirm wattage measurements? Especially the decrease overtime?

As it seems, both the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro are affected by this.

Google is notorious for having algorithms that sometime suck and need refinement, just like Adaptive Charging that only likes you when you are a normal human being that wakes up in the morning; if you are a night worker, Google doesn't care about you.

So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case
    I was already angry at being charged the same price for phones, even though they removed the headphone jack adapter, the charging brick and the headphones. Manufacturers are like "ah yes, muchos environment benefit!" and "wat? You think we lower our prices because we save money? Muhahaha. No. We just make more money now. CAPITALISM ROCKZ!" - aha. They continue to take things away, but the price is just going up. No idea why other people are not bothered by this development. Especially considering the retail prices that manufactures demand. Just take a look at Google. They want 30 bucks for their charging bricks, 12 bucks for their headphone adapter and their old Pixel headphones are are also 35 bucks. That's 77 bucks MSRP that they just "vanished" - but did they decrease the price of a phone? Nope.

And Google here is not even the tip of the iceberg. Just take a look at the prices that apple demands for all the things they took away over the years. You can just add another 100 bucks on top of your phone purchase, if you want the same scope of delivery, compared to years past.

I remember a time when most phones even came with a decent case. Lel... and phones that cost 500-600 bucks were considered high end. Nowadays, that's barely higher midrange...
    I keep hearing people tout this nonsense. There's always a guy or two in every forum that will say something similar to this.

I'm not buying it. I fast charged the living sh1t out of my 9 Pro all the time.65w. battery goes to 0 to 100 and 29 minutes. Zero battery degradation. Let me repeat that. Zero. Performs just like it did on day one.

If you don't believe me, just watch Flossy Carter's channel. He talks about it ad nauseam. He has a mi 11 Ultra, and has had it for a year. Has 120 w charging. And his battery is exactly the same as it was when he bought it a year ago.

In addition to this , people these days are getting a new phone every one or two years.

I'm sorry the trade-off is more than worth it. Waiting 2 hours for my pixel 6 Pro to charge is ridiculous.
    Do as you please of course. I don't usually fast charge as it does impact battery life. And I don't need to watch any channel about that. I have 25+ years experience as a power electronics engineer working in the power supply industry.
    The lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.
    I don't know if anyone saw this on Google store Pixel 6 Pro battery and charging specs or not:

Code:
    Fast charging6 – up to 50% charge in about 30 minutes6 – with Google 30W USB-C® Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately

Even in their testing they mentioned that it does charges the phone at full speed until 50%. And that's what even Google says about it.

On side note, I have never ever been fan of super high speed charging. This degrades the battery sooner than you can think. There's a reason, Tesla asks its customers not to charge their Tesla at the Supercharger station regularly.
    So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case