General "Pixel 6 doesn’t actually charge at 30W as Google implies, analysis finds 22W max"

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@EeZeEpEe So at 5 A I got 3k mA or 15 watts on the 30 watt charger. I was at 65% battery. Not great right?
That actually lines up right with the Android Authority tests. So good it's consistent with the tests.
Screenshot_20211109-112754.png

CPngN

Apr 18, 2012
Bay Area, Ca
5 volts at 3 amps would be 15 watts, correct. My understanding is that Google's site even says that the 30 watt charger will only fast charge up to the 50% mark.
I think that's a good thing. Fast charging batteries at that pace to near-full on a repeated basis would probably wear that battery down twice as fast. High powered usb-c in my P2XL wore my battery down super fast a couple years ago, it's been painful since that mistake.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think that's a good thing. Fast charging batteries at that pace to near-full on a repeated basis would probably wear that battery down twice as fast. High powered usb-c in my P2XL wore my battery down super fast a couple years ago, it's been painful since that mistake.

Agreed, I actually have never quick charged any phone, I only charge up to 75% and only let it get down to 25%. There have been accidental exceptions, but rarely. My 50% range usually gets me 24 hours. That's been my S.O.P. for 5+ years.

Reactions: darbylonia

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
can we all pray a software/firmware fix gives us REAL 30w all the time?

thoughts on some 1337 dev on XDA making the fix for us?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Agreed, I actually have never quick charged any phone, I only charge up to 75% and only let it get down to 25%. There have been accidental exceptions, but rarely. My 50% range usually gets me 24 hours. That's been my S.O.P. for 5+ years.
@EeZeEpEe That's a great chart for charging, thanks again. I agree with quick charging and using is sparingly. No matter what the engineers say I can't believe that it's a good thing. The phone gets hot too. I'm actually kind of happy with the new charger it seems like it charges a little quicker steadily but that could be placebo. I also like how it slows down towards the end of the charge cycle although that's probably because of adaptive battery. Do you unplug it at 75% or use an adb command to turn it off once it reaches that? I would probably go to 95% since I unplug at bedtime to see my idle drain with BBS. So far it seems to be settling down at 0.5 / hour.

Slightly OT (well a lot ot but what the heck) I have put on smart lock on body detection and at home. Is there a way to temporarily enable the screen lock so I can test out my FPR without disabling the smart lock in settings? Lock down mode doesn't work because you need a pin at that point, fp doesn't work.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I agree with quick charging and using is sparingly. No matter what the engineers say I can't believe that it's a good thing. The phone gets hot too. I'm actually kind of happy with the new charger it seems like it charges a little quicker steadily but that could be placebo. I also like how it slows down towards the end of the charge cycle although that's probably because of adaptive battery. Do you unplug it at 75% or use an adb command to turn it off once it reaches that? I would probably go to 95% since I unplug at bedtime to see my idle drain with BBS. So far it seems to be settling down at 0.5 / hour.

Slightly OT (well a lot ot but what the heck) I have put on smart lock on body detection and at home. Is there a way to temporarily enable the screen lock so I can test out my FPR without disabling the smart lock in settings? Lock down mode doesn't work because you need a pin at that point, fp doesn't work.
(not responding for @EeZeEpEe, who is the one who posted charts) I unplug at 75% currently (no pun intended - amps i.e. current). I never charge overnight except occasionally by accident. I used to use an app from XDA/Play Store to automatically stop charging at my preset but at the time and/or with my settings, it was definitely interfering with wired Android Auto on 2-3 different phones I tried.

Someone else recently said that they haven't had that issue, so either the app was fixed, they used different/better settings in the app, or something else. I haven't tried the adb command(s) yet but may eventually.

Hmmm...is there an (optional) Smart Lock Quick Setting toggle you could enable/disable quickly there to do the fingerprint testing?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just curious what pps chargers that you guys know that work that are cheap you would recommend.

I'm considering the Samsung 25w since Google doesn't draw do full 30w
I have the 30W Anker Nano II, which has all the PPS modes. Works fine. Haven't tested it too much, but a quick charge from 65-75% averaged around 27.7 W according to Franco Kernel Manager. At another time when the battery was around 40% it peaked at 40 W for just a little bit.

*I believe the 45W Anker Nano II does not have all the PPS modes.

Last edited:

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I think its a good thing. Taking this crap charger back and getting my money back. My non scentific findings in most scenarios no difference in the charge time.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just curious what pps chargers that you guys know that work that are cheap you would recommend.

I'm considering the Samsung 25w since Google doesn't draw do full 30w
I have a Samsung PPS charger and I believe it's the same one with a PPS max of 11v2.25a. It does 20% to 80% in 55 minutes or less for me.
@EeZeEpEe That's a great chart for charging, thanks again. I agree with quick charging and using is sparingly. No matter what the engineers say I can't believe that it's a good thing. The phone gets hot too. I'm actually kind of happy with the new charger it seems like it charges a little quicker steadily but that could be placebo. I also like how it slows down towards the end of the charge cycle although that's probably because of adaptive battery. Do you unplug it at 75% or use an adb command to turn it off once it reaches that? I would probably go to 95% since I unplug at bedtime to see my idle drain with BBS. So far it seems to be settling down at 0.5 / hour.

With AccuBattery Pro I has an alert set to 80% charge by default. I usually stay close enough within my Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle range and I'll get an alert when it's time to take it off the charger. I did see the ADB command to stop the charging but there are times when I do want to hit 100% of course.

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
can we all pray a software/firmware fix gives us REAL 30w all the time?

thoughts on some 1337 dev on XDA making the fix for us?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I have a Samsung PPS charger and I believe it's the same one with a PPS max of 11v2.25a. It does 20% to 80% in 55 minutes or less for me.

With AccuBattery Pro I has an alert set to 80% charge by default. I usually stay close enough within my Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle range and I'll get an alert when it's time to take it off the charger. I did see the ADB command to stop the charging but there are times when I do want to hit 100% of course.
I'm gonna take a look at accuBattery. Ampere is pretty bare bones. I have the gen 5 too, wish they would offer a trade in for the gen 6. Like $125 customer loyalty.. Lol
@roirraW "edor" I can test the fpr on my banking app.. Good enough for now.
Edit.. bought the pro version just now.. Time for the tutorial!

Last edited:

Izy

I have the 30W Anker Nano II, which has all the PPS modes. Works fine. Haven't tested it too much, but a quick charge from 65-75% averaged around 27.7 W according to Franco Kernel Manager. At another time when the battery was around 40% it peaked at 40 W for just a little bit.

guessing you already rooted for kernel management

Last edited:

spr33

Jan 10, 2007
Staffordshire

Please can you install 3c battery manager and post a screenshot of the history tab after a charge?

Izy

seen a few GaN chargers doing pps 20v 3A and 20v 1.5A for a decent price the anker is pretty expensive tbf

looking at these 2

PPS 3v-11v 3A max 33W

PPS 3v-20V 3.25A 65W

the first one is pretty cheap and gonna half in price once 11/11 sale begins
should work perfectly fine since it matches protocols

Yeah, I'm rooted. And yeah, think I paid around $30 for that charger.

yeah it retails for £30-£40 in UK

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Please can you install 3c battery manager and post a screenshot of the history tab after a charge?
The history manager was blank after my last charge. Been having problems with 3c Toolbox on this phone with Android 12. Several things make my phone crash and reboot (e.g. just trying to get into Device Manager it crashes and phone reboots).

Btw, I only charge to 75%, usually not letting it get below 40%.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9to5Google has released an interesting article. I never noticed this, since I charge my phone slowly overnight with a 5 watt wireless charger. Have you guys also experienced this? Can people here with root can confirm wattage measurements? Especially the decrease overtime?

As it seems, both the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro are affected by this.

Google is notorious for having algorithms that sometime suck and need refinement, just like Adaptive Charging that only likes you when you are a normal human being that wakes up in the morning; if you are a night worker, Google doesn't care about you.

So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case
    I was already angry at being charged the same price for phones, even though they removed the headphone jack adapter, the charging brick and the headphones. Manufacturers are like "ah yes, muchos environment benefit!" and "wat? You think we lower our prices because we save money? Muhahaha. No. We just make more money now. CAPITALISM ROCKZ!" - aha. They continue to take things away, but the price is just going up. No idea why other people are not bothered by this development. Especially considering the retail prices that manufactures demand. Just take a look at Google. They want 30 bucks for their charging bricks, 12 bucks for their headphone adapter and their old Pixel headphones are are also 35 bucks. That's 77 bucks MSRP that they just "vanished" - but did they decrease the price of a phone? Nope.

And Google here is not even the tip of the iceberg. Just take a look at the prices that apple demands for all the things they took away over the years. You can just add another 100 bucks on top of your phone purchase, if you want the same scope of delivery, compared to years past.

I remember a time when most phones even came with a decent case. Lel... and phones that cost 500-600 bucks were considered high end. Nowadays, that's barely higher midrange...
    I keep hearing people tout this nonsense. There's always a guy or two in every forum that will say something similar to this.

I'm not buying it. I fast charged the living sh1t out of my 9 Pro all the time.65w. battery goes to 0 to 100 and 29 minutes. Zero battery degradation. Let me repeat that. Zero. Performs just like it did on day one.

If you don't believe me, just watch Flossy Carter's channel. He talks about it ad nauseam. He has a mi 11 Ultra, and has had it for a year. Has 120 w charging. And his battery is exactly the same as it was when he bought it a year ago.

In addition to this , people these days are getting a new phone every one or two years.

I'm sorry the trade-off is more than worth it. Waiting 2 hours for my pixel 6 Pro to charge is ridiculous.
    Do as you please of course. I don't usually fast charge as it does impact battery life. And I don't need to watch any channel about that. I have 25+ years experience as a power electronics engineer working in the power supply industry.
    The lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.
    I don't know if anyone saw this on Google store Pixel 6 Pro battery and charging specs or not:

Code:
    Fast charging6 – up to 50% charge in about 30 minutes6 – with Google 30W USB-C® Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately

Even in their testing they mentioned that it does charges the phone at full speed until 50%. And that's what even Google says about it.

On side note, I have never ever been fan of super high speed charging. This degrades the battery sooner than you can think. There's a reason, Tesla asks its customers not to charge their Tesla at the Supercharger station regularly.
    So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case